PDA

View Full Version : Working From Home

Kevin Milkins
23-Aug-10, 23:34
Looking at a thread in the technical department has inspired a question, are there many people that work from home?

Years ago there used to be lots of opportunities for people to do work from home that would suit young mothers,people that were unable to get out of the house or anybody looking to supplement there income. An example of something we used to do when we first got married and needed all the penny's we could get, would be to assemble felt tip pens that were manufactured by Conway Stewart in a local factory.

I know technoligy has moved on considerably in the last forty years and most of these tedious labour intensive jobs can be done by a machine, but I can still think of quite a few things that could use the human touch if there is a willing work force to be found.

pat
24-Aug-10, 09:29
Kevin
I work from home but not in the sense you mean - I run a B&B which is a completely full time job, thought it would not be difficult but it is the hardest most demanding work I have ever done- but it does pass the time of day and bring in some money to cover the heating bills.

shamrock2007
24-Aug-10, 12:02
I work from home aswell running my own catering business

Sage
24-Aug-10, 16:31
I work from home too :D

While my genealogy / indexing and editing business wont make me rich, at least I can take time off if I need it, work around family and work "unsocial" hours if need be.

There are lots of freelance jobs out there, you just have to find one that you are trained for and find one that pays well (or well enough to live off) :eek:

I have to say though that the technological advances of the last ten years have really hit my genealogical business.

b3n
24-Aug-10, 17:28
I work from home building media centre's & PCs and talking to customers. It's great like Sage says as you can choose your hours to fit your life style. Especially if you have kids.

Some people prefer to be in an office for social contact but everyone's different.

I know some big companies that promote working from home to get a work/life balance and it does work for both the person and the company.

Just think the next time you phone a helpdesk you could be speaking to someone sitting at their computer desk, in their bedroom, in their PJ's, watching Cash in the Attic waiting for the next call to come in. :)

Geo
24-Aug-10, 17:34
Where do I send my application?

Logical
25-Aug-10, 09:40
Just think the next time you phone a helpdesk you could be speaking to someone sitting at their computer desk, in their bedroom, in their PJ's, watching Cash in the Attic waiting for the next call to come in. :)

Gawsh, wish I had a job like that. Even working from home i find that the boss is always on the phone or micro-managing. Never a moments peace fo me :(. At least somebody gets the high life[disgust].

kmahon2001
25-Aug-10, 11:16
I'd love to work at home but can't think of anything I'm qualified to do that would make a successful business (I don't think I was born with the entrepreneurial gene!) and the only employment opportunities I've come across are actually scams, not real opportunities. :mad:

I'd have thought this area would be perfect for genuine homeworking opportunities, with companies being able to employ people in remote areas without them having to travel long distances to get to work, but I've not noticed any such opportunities - maybe I'm just looking in the wrong places.

EDDIE
25-Aug-10, 12:43
There is lot of mobile managers and office staff that can work from home a couple of days a week all they need is an internet connection to connect the works laptop onto.
I would love to work from home to but i dont no if i could motivate myself to work at home i would be awful tempted to skive