PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft I.E. being Vulnerable

brokencross
05-Jul-04, 17:05
Just listened to an item on BBC 5Live about the ease of vulnerability of the Microsoft Internet Explorer Browser (the most popular browser worldwide) to being accessed, hacked, misused, abused, interfered with......you get the message. Did anyone else hear the item??? Should I be afraid or, REALLY AFRAID.

I am a total computer novice. My best friends by e-mail are Trojan, Worm and a friend who must be a doctor because he calls himself Virus!!

Do not switch off your computers, it was an attempt at humour. The original statement about Microsoft I.E. is true.

Greece to win the Olympics 1-0..............after penalties

The world community is worried that Saddam may be found guilty and given the Death Penalty.
.The Iraqi people are just hoping that David Beckham does not take the penalty!!!Boom, Boom

grmacken
06-Jul-04, 10:58
Everyone using internet explorer should go running to www.mozilla.org and download the mozilla browser, its far better and more secure.

Geo
06-Jul-04, 11:55
I try Mozilla every few months and always go back to IE with the Avant Browser add on. Mozilla feels clunky in comparison.

codex
06-Jul-04, 11:59
I try Mozilla every few months and always go back to IE with the Avant Browser add on. Mozilla feels clunky in comparison.

It does feel slighty clunky. But its easy to remove da clunkyness.
Just adjust yer browser settings an hey presto
i

grmacken
06-Jul-04, 12:32
I am now using firefox and its quite smart, the question people have to ask themselfs is, do they want thier computer open to viruses coming from scripts on web pages and risk thier computer being hijacked completely or do they want to use a superior browser that new users may find cluncky.

Geo
06-Jul-04, 12:47
I don't think it is superior and I have read of vulnerabilities in it as well. I've yet to get a virus/trojan from a webpage using Internet Explorer. I'm not denying any risk but you can minimise that risk while still using the software you like.

This is a circular argument though as you like using Firefox and I like using Internet Explorer.

grmacken
06-Jul-04, 12:58
best advice for anyone atm would be to get all the windows update patches, a good firewall, anti virus software and use adaware, spybot and cwshredder. and try to avoid microsoft software

MadPict
06-Jul-04, 20:24
I work on a pretty secure PC based network but a casual search through Google for a brand of computer took me to a site which set the alarms ringing with a MHTMLRedir.Exploit virus alert. The computer was isolated and the WGM contacted. No harm done as the virus protection stopped it. But it affects IE -

This threat contains specially-crafted, HTML code that can download and execute programs without prompting you. This threat only affects Microsoft Internet Explorer.

When visiting a Web page or receiving an HTML email that contains this threat, a file can be downloaded and executed. Under normal conditions, Internet Explorer would prompt you before allowing any executable content to be downloaded and executed on the system. This vulnerability in Internet Explorer allows specially crafted HTML to bypass this security prompt.

Makes my glad I use a Mac (safe-ish for now!) but dump IE - there are plenty of good alternatives around now.

grmacken
07-Jul-04, 08:35
its unbeleavable how much mickysoft can mess things up.

There is a flaw in microsofts meta image format that allows virus makers embed a virus in an image, also when microsoft were breaching thier licence from sun for java they went and added features that allowed a once completely secure language to download vuses without the user knowing.

:roll:

Donnie
07-Jul-04, 12:33
Every bit of software has its flaws. It's not a case of Microsoft messing up. When you are the worlds biggest software company hackers are more likely to target your products than any other companys.

codex
14-Jul-04, 19:27
14 July 2004
Taken from Sophos.com

Critical security holes discovered in MOOSOFT Windows, Internet EXPLOITER and OutBACK Express

If Microsoft says security holes are critical everyone should listen, says Sophos
Microsoft has described some of the vulnerabilities as critical

Sophos has urged companies and home users to act quickly as critical new security vulnerabilities have been discovered in versions of Microsoft Windows, Internet Explorer and Outlook Express, which could be exploited by a future internet worm.

"If Microsoft says there is a critical problem with its software, companies should sit up and listen. All businesses should ensure they have the resources in place to see which of the vulnerabilities may affect them, and apply the fixes as necessary," said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant for Sophos. "In the past we have seen worms appear exploiting Microsoft security holes within a couple of weeks of Microsoft's announcement. Smarter businesses will be putting protection in place now rather than waiting to see if an attack occurs."

Microsoft has posted details of the vulnerabilities and made available updates which are reported to fix the issue on its website. In the worst scenario echoing the Blaster or Sasser worm outbreaks, the vulnerabilities allow a remote attacker to run code on a user's system. The security holes could be exploited by hackers or a future internet worm.

"Home users are particularly open to attack, because they have often not downloaded the latest security patches from Microsoft, and may not be running a personal firewall," continued Cluley. "All computer users should ensure their systems are properly protected."

Home users of Microsoft Windows can visit windowsupdate.microsoft.com to have their systems scanned for critical Microsoft security vulnerabilities.

* Read more about the security vulnerabilities on Microsoft's website now

Sophos recommends that every IT manager responsible for security should consider subscribing to vulnerability mailing lists such as that operated by Microsoft at www.microsoft.com

Mr P Cannop
14-Jul-04, 20:12
from the bbc news web site

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3889353.stm

A major update to the Windows XP operating system will be available to download from August, two months later than originally expected.
The update, called Service Pack 2, is intended to make the operating system from Microsoft much more secure.

The company, based in Redmond, US, said it needed extra time to ensure the proposed software changes were stable.

Analysts have described the upgrade as the most significant revision of Windows XP since its launch in 2001.

Smart downloads

The update was originally due to be available in June. It was then planned for release in July.

CHANGES DUE IN SP2
Pop-up ads blocked
Revamped firewall on by default
Outlook Express, Internet Explorer and Windows Messenger to carry warning about attachments
Origins of downloaded files logged
Web graphics in e-mail no longer loaded by default
Some spyware blocked
Users regularly reminded about Windows updates
Windows Messenger Service turned off by default
As well as offering bug fixes and updates, SP2 also has new features and makes significant changes to the software in the areas of network protection, memory protection, e-mail security and browsing security.

The download, which will be available free over the internet, will be a substantial size. The SP2 pack for home users will be about 70MB, while for business users the file will be about 90MB, said Mike Nash, Microsoft's vice-president of security.

The update service includes downloading technology that will allow users to download the file bit by bit, a feature that would be useful for those with dial-up internet connections.

Windows XP is the latest version of Windows. The Microsoft operating system is installed on more than 90% of the world's PCs.

The update has already been tested by thousands of developers and IT professionals and Microsoft says it will be its most widely tested product to date.

However, it warned that Windows XP SP2 could break existing applications.

The update is focusing on security which Microsoft has made a top priority since major worms such as Blaster and MyDoom which exploited flaws in Windows.