PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Girls Discussing the Weather and Baseball

canuck
10-Jul-06, 17:47
What a thread! Canuck and rockchick discussing the weather and baseball.

canuck
10-Jul-06, 17:49
Well we had a huge storm overnight and it poured rain. Today it is overcast and very humid. And the temperature is rising so it is becoming very sauna like.

Over to Caithness for the latest update from there.

willowbankbear
10-Jul-06, 17:59
Who was playing baseball?:Razz

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:00
Ohhh...weather and baseball...two of my favourite things!

Weather in caithness today is, well a bit of everything. Sunny with occasional showers...and a strong chance of tomorrow.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:00
Who was playing baseball?:Razz Who's on first!

willowbankbear
10-Jul-06, 18:03
Eh just making conversation, Rockchick, this is an exclusive way to reach 100 posts though[lol]

canuck
10-Jul-06, 18:03
And the Jays hammered Kansas City last night. The score was 11-3. Halliday was brilliant on the mound.

Today is the home run derby leading up to the All Star Game. It is always great fun. Tomorrow is the big game. It will be featured on the MLB site on the internet. Or you can go to bluejays.ca and get it as well. I think that it was on Sky when I was there 2 years ago, but of course it will be the middle of the night in Caithness.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:05
Eh just making conversation, Rockchick, this is an exclusive way to reach 100 posts though[lol] Laff...didn't you ever see the Three Stooges??? they do this whole skit based around "who's playing ball", when someone named Who is on first...

I guess you had to be there...

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:07
And the Jays hammered Kansas City last night. The score was 11-3. Halliday was brilliant on the mound.

Today is the home run derby leading up to the All Star Game. It is always great fun. Tomorrow is the big game. It will be featured on the MLB site on the internet. Or you can go to bluejays.ca and get it as well. I think that it was on Sky when I was there 2 years ago, but of course it will be the middle of the night in Caithness.

I haven't seen a Blue Jays game since the last year they won the World Series...how long ago was that? And to stop the Canadian's from winning three years in a row the American league pulled a strike which cancelled the next world series?

or am I showing my age?

connieb19
10-Jul-06, 18:08
Ohhh...weather and baseball...two of my favourite things!

Weather in caithness today is, well a bit of everything. Sunny with occasional showers...and a strong chance of tomorrow.I hope there's more than just a strong chance of tomorrow!!:cool: I have plans..

canuck
10-Jul-06, 18:12
I haven't seen a Blue Jays game since the last year they won the World Series...how long ago was that? And to stop the Canadian's from winning three years in a row the American league pulled a strike which cancelled the next world series?

or am I showing my age?

Age doesn't count in baseball. The last World Series was 1993.

As for the "who's on first", I cannot remember the banter. But it is something like "no he's on third". Ricco any thoughts on this? He at least played Little League.

rockchick
I hope there's more than just a strong chance of tomorrow!!:cool: I have plans..

Nothing certain but death and taxes!

Ricco
I do wish the Jays would post a live web video of their latest games. I don't get Sky ('cos I'm tight) and it isn't on Freeview. I do miss their games. :~(

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:15

As for the "who's on first", I cannot remember the banter. But it is something like "no he's on third". Ricco any thoughts on this? He at least played Little League.

I'm glad you changed that from 1973 to 1993. Yes, that was the last year Toronto won it. Sitting in the hot sun drinking overpriced beer...

canuck
10-Jul-06, 18:15
I do wish the Jays would post a live web video of their latest games. I don't get Sky ('cos I'm tight) and it isn't on Freeview. I do miss their games. :~(

Ricco, I found an Ontario flag until I can get my Canadian flag flying again. Does it bring back good memories?

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:16

My out-laws post videos of the games to me sometimes...but you need the kind of VCR that plays both types. And don't ask me to explain further, cuz that's the limit of my technical expertise!

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:17
Ricco, I found an Ontario flag until I can get my Canadian flag flying again. Does it bring back good memories? Prefer the flag of beautiful British Columbia myself...but then, I'm biased!

canuck
10-Jul-06, 18:20
Prefer the flag of beautiful British Columbia myself...but then, I'm biased!

You are allowed to be biased. And just another 90 or so posts and you will have that flag on your avatar if you want.

canuck
10-Jul-06, 18:22
If you are really keen to get a picture on your posts, you might be able to use the signature feature at this point in your org career. I don't know when it kicks in, but I remember Willowbankbear and Cedric having whirly things before they had avatars.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:23
Found the script for "who's on first", but this was the abbott and costello version:

Abbott and Costello's trademark routine who's on first is presented here in it's entirety.
Bud: You know, strange as it may seem, they give baseball players peculiar names nowadays. On the St Louis team, we have Who's on first, What's on second and I don't know is on third.
Lou: That's what I want to find out, I want you to tell me the names of the fellows on the St Louis team.
Bud: I'm telling you. Who's on first, what's on second, I don't know is on third!
Lou: You know the fellow's names?
Bud: Yes
Lou: Well then, whose playing first?
Bud: Yes.
Lou: I mean the fellow's name on first base.
Bud: Who.
Lou: The fellow's name on first base for St Louis.
Bud: Who
Lou: The guy on first base
Bud: Who is on first base
Lou: What are you asking me for?
Bud: I'm not asking you, I'm telling you. Who is on first!
Lou: I'm asking you, who is on first?
Bud: That's the man's name
Lou: That's whose name?
Lou: Well, go ahead and tell me
Lou: The guy on first
Lou: The first baseman
Bud: Who is on first
Lou: (Getting worked up) Have you got a first baseman on first?
Bud: Why certainly
Lou: Well, all I am trying to find out is what's the guy's name on first base
Bud: Oh, no, no. What is on second base
Lou: I'm not asking you whose on second
Bud: Who's on first
Lou: That's what I'm trying to find out
Bud: Well, don't change the players around
Lou (shouting): I'm not changin' anybody!
Bud: Take it easy man
Lou: What's the guy's name on first base?
Bud: What's the guy's name on second base
Lou: I'm not asking whose on second
Bud: Whose on first
Lou: I don't know
Bud: He's on third. We're not talking about him
Lou: How could I get on third base?
Bud: You mentioned his name
Lou: If I mentioned the third baseman's name, who did I say is playing third?
Bud: No, who's playing first
Lou: Stay offa first will ya??!
Bud:Please, now what is it you'd like to know?
Lou: What is the fellow's name on third base?
Bud: What is the fellow's name on second base
Lou: I'm not asking you whose on second.
Bud: Who's on first
Both together: Third base!
Lou: When you pay off the first baseman every month, who gets the money?
Bud: Certainly.
Lou: Who gets the money?
Bud: Every dollar of it
Lou: When you give the guy the money, who gets it?
Bud: Yes. He's entitled to it. Sometimes his wife comes down and collects it.
Lou: Whose wife?
Bud: Yes.
Lou: Look, when you give the guy a receipt, how does he sign it?
Lou: The guy you give the money too
Bud: Who. That's how he signs it
Lou: You got an outfield?
Bud: Certainly
Lou: St Louis has got a good outfield?
Bud: Oh, absolutely
Lou: The left fielder's name?
Bud: Why.
Lou: I don't know, I just thought I'd ask
Bud: Well, I just thought I'd tell you
Lou: Then tell me, who's playing left field?
Bud: Who's playing first
Lou: Stay outta the infield!! I wanna know what's the fellow's name in left field?
Bud: What's on second
Lou: I'm not asking you who's on second
Bud: Who is on first
Together: Third base!
Bud: Now take it easy man!
Lou: And the left fielder's name?
Bud: Why
Lou: Because
Bud: Oh, he's in centre field
Lou: Wait a minute, you gotta pitcher on the team?
Bud: Wouldn't this be a fine team without a pitcher
Lou: I don't know. What's the pitcher's name
Bud: Tomorrow
Lou: You don't want to tell me today?
Bud: I'm telling you man
Lou: Then go ahead
Bud: Tomorrow
Lou: What time?
Bud: What time what?
Lou: What time tomorrow are you gonna tell me who's pitching?
Bud: Now listen. Who is not pitching. Who is on-
Lou: I'll break your arm is you say whose on first
Bud: Then why did you ask me?
Lou: I want to know what's the pitcher's name!
Bud: What's on second
Together: Third base!
Lou: You got a catcher?
Bud: Sure
Lou: the catcher's name?
Bud: Today
Lou: Today. And tomorrow's pitching.
Bud: Now you've got it
Lou: That's all, St Louis has got a couple of days on the team! that's all.
Bud: Well, I can't help that. What you want me to do?
Lou: I'm a good catcher too you know
Bud: I know that
Lou: I would like to play for St Louis someday
Bud: Well, I might arrange that
Lou: I would like to catch. Now Tomorrow's pitching on the team, and I'm catching
Bud: OK
Lou: Tomorrow throws the ball, and the guy gets up and bunts the ball
Bud: yes
Lou: So when he bunts the ball, me being a good catcher, I want to throw the guy out at first base. So I pick up the ball and I throw it to Who?
Bud: Now, that's the first thing you've said right!
Lou: I don't even know what I'm talking about!
Bud: Well, that's all you have to do
Lou: I throw it to first base
Lou: Now who's got it?
Bud: Naturally
Lou: Who has it?
Lou: Naturally?
Bud: Naturally.
Lou: I throw the ball to naturally
Bud: No, you throw the ball to Who!
Lou: Naturally
Lou: So I throw the ball to who?
Lou: Same as you! Same as you!
Bud: You throw the ball to who, Who gets it.
Lou: He'd better get it!
Bud: That's it. All right now, don't get excited. Take it easy
Lou (in a right state now): Now I throw the ball to first base, whoever it is grabs the ball, so the guy runs to second.
Bud: Uh-huh.
Lou: Who picks up the ball and throws it to what. What throws it to I don't know. I don't know throws it back to tomorrow. Triple play!
Bud: Could be
Lou: Another guy gets up, and it's a long fly-ball to Because. Why? I don't know, he's on third and I don't give a darn
Bud: what was that?
Lou: I said I don't give a darn!
Bud: Oh, that's our short stop!

Ricco
10-Jul-06, 18:23
Hmmmm, it does indeed, Canuck. Tel you the truth, I've been a busy boy! I've downloaded Ontario, a waving Canada, BC and a couple of others. I'll send you the waving Canada one if you like.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:24
You are allowed to be biased. And just another 90 or so posts and you will have that flag on your avatar if you want.

I've got a brilliant avatar - I can't wait to show it.

Don't know if I'll KEEP it..

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:24
Hmmmm, it does indeed, Canuck. Tel you the truth, I've been a busy boy! I've downloaded Ontario, a waving Canada, BC and a couple of others. I'll send you the waving Canada one if you like.

Yes please! thanks

changilass
10-Jul-06, 18:30
Wish you both all the best on your quest, this is one invasion I hope is succesfull......... the Canadian Avatar/1K Invasion could go down in org history:lol:

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 18:32
Wish you both all the best on your quest, this is one invasion I hope is succesfull......... the Canadian Avatar/1K Invasion could go down in org history:lol: Laff...thanks Changi! As they say in the Tesco ads...every little helps!

Ricco
10-Jul-06, 20:42

Canuck - sorry, I have no idea. We are talking about 4* years ago! :lol:

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 21:17
Canuck - sorry, I have no idea. We are talking about 4* years ago! :lol: It's even older than that...1930's-ish!

Elenna
10-Jul-06, 21:36
If you're really interested, the routine was actually created by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello on their radio show in the 1940s (I haven't been able to pinpoint a date). There are a number of places on the internet it is listed in full. I thought this one was set out to be easily read:

http://rob.kogan.com/humor/who_on_1st.htm

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 21:42
If you're really interested, the routine was actually created by Bud Abbott and Lou Costello on their radio show in the 1940s (I haven't been able to pinpoint a date). There are a number of places on the internet it is listed in full. I thought this one was set out to be easily read:

http://rob.kogan.com/humor/who_on_1st.htm

Thanks for this, Elena, but if you look at post #20 on this thread, you'll see that I've pasted the basic routine. They actually did this skit a number of times, and ad-libbed abit each time.

The golden days of comedy!

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:22
Wow, rockchick, you are going to have this challenge completed by tomorrow. You've posted about 50 comments since I left a few hours ago.

As I was thrashing up and down the lanes of the swimming pool I was thinking that if we posted 10 a day you would have this done by next week and I would slide in just as the guests were arriving for the birthday party. You are on quite a pace. But I have talked sporran into giving me a blether session late at night when Caithness is asleep (okay Kingetter and Gleber2 and JAWS you may still be around). I can whip through the board with my comments then and really make some headway in my quest.

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:23
The avatar is the flag of British Columbia.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:23
It just means that I have NO life...or I really want to avoid doing an assignment that's due on Wednesday!

Love the Avatar, btw

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:24
The avatar is the flag of British Columbia.

Yes I got that - Brilliant!

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:24
I was also thinking that we could set up 10 threads and just post one comment a day to achieve our goal. I thought that we could do a series on the provinces and the capitol cities. You rockchick could do BC, I'll take Alberta as I grew up there. As a western province you could have Saskatchewan with Betty's help as she is a Wicker in Regina. I'll do Manitoba as I was born in Winnipeg amongst the Selkirk Settlers (yes relatives of the Campbells and Sutherlands). Ricco can have Toronto and Ontario, his birthplace. Golach can help with the his knowledge of the waterways. Quebec I would like to give to Gleber2 as he actually lived there for awhile. Kingetter can speak about New Brunswick. We will need to call back the Gardening Queen of Halifax to do Nova Scotia. I don't know about PEI. Maybe rich, he knows everything. I can do Newfoundland as the father of my children was born there.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:25
I was also thinking that we could set up 10 threads and just post one comment a day to achieve our goal. I thought that we could do a series on the provinces and the capitol cities. You rockchick could do BC, I'll take Alberta as I grew up there. As a western province you could have Saskatchewan with Betty's help as she is a Wicker in Regina. I'll do Manitoba as I was born in Winnipeg amongst the Selkirk Settlers (yes relatives of the Campbells and Sutherlands). Ricco can have Toronto and Ontario, his birthplace. Quebec I would like to give to Gleber2 as he actually lived there for awhile. Kingetter can speak about New Brunswick. We will need to call back the Gardening Queen of Halifax to do Nova Scotia. I don't know about PEI. Maybe rich, he knows everything. I can do Newfoundland as the father of my children was born there.

You are just WAY too organized!

Tristan
10-Jul-06, 22:25
No longer shameless but...

changilass
10-Jul-06, 22:27
Wonder if godmin could award you a few extra posts for persistence and determination, either that or set up a new nametag of goldstar orgers for effort :lol:

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:29
Wonder if godmin could award you a few extra posts for persistence and determination, either that or set up a new nametag of goldstar orgers for effort :lol:

I won't argue with that!

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:31
Yes I got that - Brilliant!

Yes, I know that you would recognize it. But to limit the questions asked from our friends, I thought that I would post the note. Actually sporran asked me and I thought that others might want to know as well.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:32
Yes, I know that you would recognize it. But to limit the questions asked from our friends, I thought that I would post the note. Actually sporran asked me and I thought that others might want to know as well.

Interestingly, during the design stage of the flag I believe the two pictures were supposed to be reversed - with the sun on the top half - but this was decided against because "the sun never goes down on the British Empire"!!

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:32
You are just WAY too organized!

I am just avoiding unpacking a housefull of boxes. Saveman are you going to join our conversation? I am talking about your favorite subject now, moving.

golach
10-Jul-06, 22:34
I was also thinking that we could set up 10 threads and just post one comment a day to achieve our goal. I thought that we could do a series on the provinces and the capitol cities. You rockchick could do BC, I'll take Alberta as I grew up there. As a western province you could have Saskatchewan with Betty's help as she is a Wicker in Regina. I'll do Manitoba as I was born in Winnipeg amongst the Selkirk Settlers (yes relatives of the Campbells and Sutherlands). Ricco can have Toronto and Ontario, his birthplace. Quebec I would like to give to Gleber2 as he actually lived there for awhile. Kingetter can speak about New Brunswick. We will need to call back the Gardening Queen of Halifax to do Nova Scotia. I don't know about PEI. Maybe rich, he knows everything. I can do Newfoundland as the father of my children was born there.
Hey what about me....I lived there too, I will lay claim to Labrador and wonderful Newfoundland, and Bell Isle too, Gleber2 can keep the Chateau Fontinac and the Abraham heights

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:36

I was thinking that they might give me some partial points for PMs and all the quiz nights I attended.

Elenna
10-Jul-06, 22:37
Thanks for this, Elena, but if you look at post #20 on this thread, you'll see that I've pasted the basic routine. They actually did this skit a number of times, and ad-libbed abit each time.

The golden days of comedy!

I beg your pardon. I somehow missed seeing that, between the end of page 1 and top of page 2. The conversation seemed to carry on, so I didn't notice....

canuck
10-Jul-06, 22:38
Hey what about me....I lived there too, I will lay claim to Labrador and wonderful Newfoundland, and Bell Isle too, Gleber2 can keep the Chateau Fontinac and the Abraham heights

I forgot. I was going to suggest that you help Ricco with the maritime side of things in Ontario. Lakes Erie and Ontario and Superior are pretty massive. And you can help me with Newfoundland. Great.

See you in the chat room in 1 minute.

rockchick
10-Jul-06, 22:38
Well I have family living in BC, Alberta, Manitoba, Ontario, and two that used to live in the Yukon territory, and Saskatchewan. That pretty much covers the western 2,500 miles

Moira
11-Jul-06, 00:47
.......I really want to avoid doing an assignment that's due on Wednesday!

Can I join in here? I wannabe a Wonky (1k) Orger too. I'm not Canadian & know zilch about baseball, but know loads about weather, because we have lots of it here in Caithness ;)

Rockchick - I can't believe you're wasting time on here when you could be doing your assignment :roll: Well - actually - I can really - I, not so long ago, spent 2 hours in the Quiz Chatroom - then stayed up till 4 am finishing and emailing an assignment, which should have been in the week before! Caithness.org has a lot to answer for at times.

canuck
11-Jul-06, 01:07
Can I join in here? I wannabe a Wonky (1k) Orger too. I'm not Canadian & know zilch about baseball, but know loads about weather, because we have lots of it here in Caithness ;)

Rockchick - I can't believe you're wasting time on here when you could be doing your assignment :roll: Well - actually - I can really - I, not so long ago, spent 2 hours in the Quiz Chatroom - then stayed up till 4 am finishing and emailing an assignment, which should have been in the week before! Caithness.org has a lot to answer for at times.

I remember not too many weeks ago when young Zebedy and Kaz were both avoiding the books and chatting with us on the org. We all do it no matter what our age.

Moira, of course you can join in the conversation to build up your posting points. I may wear the flesh on my fingers right down to the bone to get my quota in before my self imposed deadline.

Ricco
11-Jul-06, 12:59
Rockchick - I can't believe you're wasting time on here when you could be doing your assignment. Well - actually - I can really - I, not so long ago, spent 2 hours in the Quiz Chatroom - then stayed up till 4 am finishing and emailing an assignment, which should have been in the week before! Caithness.org has a lot to answer for at times.

Rockchick should have been doing an assignment? I didn't know, and I actually helped her to waste time. What kind of teacher am I? Oh woe! :(

Canuck - I would love to do Ontario, Toronto and Peterborough. :Razz

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 13:08
Rockchick should have been doing an assignment? I didn't know, and I actually helped her to waste time. What kind of teacher am I? Oh woe! :(

Canuck - I would love to do Ontario, Toronto and Peterborough. Six lashings with the cane, and then, the rest of the day in the corner for you Ricco..lol:evil

Tristan
11-Jul-06, 13:28
Six lashings with the cane, and then, the rest of the day in the corner for you Ricco..lol:evil

Could be a good idea for Rockchick....give her something to think about while in jail.;)

Ricco
11-Jul-06, 15:54
Six lashings with the cane, and then, the rest of the day in the corner for you Ricco..lol:evil

Oh, yes please! You're so generous, Connieb19 LOL:lol:

connieb19
11-Jul-06, 16:01
Oh, yes please! You're so generous, Connieb19 LOLOk, you asked for it..lol:evil
http://www.users.qwest.net/~efotheringham/Media/internet%20dominatrix.jpg