PDA

View Full Version : Old Age suffering and death- the Scott Lecture

bagpuss
22-Aug-10, 18:40
Any orgers get round to attending ian's annual lecture at the Mackays hotel last week? And could you understand what he was on about this time?

Dog-eared
22-Aug-10, 18:51
Missed that .
Saw him on youtube though - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bC6kLOWm5Ao&feature=search

ducati
22-Aug-10, 19:15
Crikey, it sounds a laugh a minute!

bagpuss
23-Aug-10, 17:37
Ever since Ian got his job in New York and along with it the title of professor, he's done an annual lecture in Wick (to give the locals a treat)

Of late he apparently has joined the ranks of the 'culture club' run by Bob Mclennan and the Gunns (Bunty and Ian). You know- the group who claim to take culture to the great unwashed masses of Caithness- and the thing is to be seen among the luvvies.

I don't honestly think he really knows much about suffering , old age or death- but he does know an awful lot of strange eccentrics that in most places would be regarded as down and outs. perhaps that was the sub-text. On his visits home he's a daily landmark as he cycles to and from his inspiration- the old Man of Wick, and an invitation to take tea in people's houses usually is accepted. (he doesn't eat much in the USA and needs feeding up

he's a character anyway

Neil Howie
25-Aug-10, 23:23
Bagpuss although you asked about the lecture I am confused as to why you would then slag it off!???

To reply to your original post;

the talk didn't really take up the title as advertised. It was briefly covered in his introduction. However I think he did a better version of the talk a few years ago that was more focused and discussed suffering in the context of art, e.g. discussed The Raft of the Medusa, etc.

In his introduction he covered the topic as it related to him, digging graves, helping blind wifies, the death of his father, working with prisoners, suffering and lonlieness.

But when left to speak freely, Prof Scott tended to drift off topic and ask us to free ourselves from the norm, to think for ourselves. Had the lecture been about this, and had Prof Scott used illustrations of conditioned thinking in his lecture and how to avoid it, or what to do about it, then I think he may have delivered the lecture that he actually wanted to do!

After the introduction Prof Scott showed a lot of his "unseen art" - art that had been lost, stolen or destroyed. This was quite interesting and if the lecture had been titled "images of lost artwork" it would have been a more accurate desription of the slideshow.

It was interesting to see the development of his style as the slideshow was done in a timeline from old to new.

He showed his most recent work in the flesh as it were and discussed his recent trip to China.

I think they need to beg borrow or steal a decent projector screen, as the taped blanket fell down. I think a proper screen would give a better definition to the image shown too.

But all in all a decent enough lecture, and glad he took the time to do it, for free.

I certainly appreciated it, enjoyed it, and look forward to the next one.

Maybe see you there next time, luvvie?

:D

philupmaboug
26-Aug-10, 10:20
Never been to one of his lectures but I have known Ian for a great number of years and have always found him pleasant, chatty and kind.
He has never forgotten his roots and has captured many subjects that no one else would look at twice.
I have seen a few of his paintings that I didn't understand until I had the thread of thought explained to me....and yes he is different! but if we were all that eccentric the world would be a better place as there is no hurt in him and I feel he has found his place in his world.
I think a lot of people envy him in that he is where he wants to be and they are not, hope he continues to keep Wick and all it's characters on the map.