PDA

View Full Version : tv license

pirateeye
22-Aug-10, 17:47
just out of curiosity do you need a tv license to use bbc i player etc on pc? if you don't have one for a tele? not an issue but i'm just curious cos some people seem to think not and others do. :D

Alan16
22-Aug-10, 17:53
just out of curiosity do you need a tv license to use bbc i player etc on pc? if you don't have one for a tele? not an issue but i'm just curious cos some people seem to think not and others do. :D

You don't need a TV License for BBC iPlayer. The TV License website states that you only need a TV License to watch programmes at the time of their broadcast, so for things like BBC iPlayer, 4oD, DemandFive, DVDs, etc., you do not need a TV License.

Kodiak
22-Aug-10, 17:56
If you do not have a television and you watch Recorded Television Programmes on a Computer you Do Not require a Television Licence.

If you Watch Live Television on a Computer then you are Required to have a Colour Television Licence.

If you have a Television or any form of Equipment that is capable of Recieving a Television Signal then you are required to have a Television Licence.

i.e. If you have a Video Recorder and no TV you still are required to have a Television Licence.

pirateeye
22-Aug-10, 18:06
hmmmmm oh well thats interesting. i did wonder about that...being able to watch as long as its not on tele at the time. thanks a lot for the replies:D not as strict as some believe i suppose

redeyedtreefrog
22-Aug-10, 18:08
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2008/01/iplayer_does_not_require_a_tv_1.html

Scohn
22-Aug-10, 19:41
Just been through this for another reason.
If you can prove you only watch recorded programs you do not need a license for a video recorder.

Kodiak
22-Aug-10, 20:35
Just been through this for another reason.
If you can prove you only watch recorded programs you do not need a license for a video recorder.

Sorry but this is not quite correct. If you have a Video Recorder you are required to have a Television Licence.

The Reason is that a Video Recorder records Live Broadcast Television. It does not matter if you watch it at a later date it was recorded from a Live Broadcast. Therefore you require a Television Licence.

Also if you have a Black & White Television and a Video Recorder you are required to have a Colour Television Licence as the Recorder records in Colour. Sad but True.

Angel
22-Aug-10, 22:37
So if you record a program at a house with a licence, you can watch it at another house with no tv licence!

Angel...

Phill
22-Aug-10, 23:36
The licence is based on the individual, not the property.

b3n
23-Aug-10, 10:59
You are allowed to have a video recorder!

I spoke to the TV license people a few years ago and they said you can have a recorder as long as it is tuned out of all tv stations and not connected to an aerial. You cannot watch programmes that are recorded onto tape from a live broadcast elsewhere. Dont know why as that is what iplayer is all about :)

They also said you must be willing to accept an inspection if the TV license van is in your area. If they plug an aerial into your tv or video recorder and it shows tv channels are tuned in then you will be fined.

So if you have a TV and video recorder already just take it to a friends house and untune it although analogue will soon be a thing of the past.

The TV License man came round to my house in Thurso a year later. At the time I had a TV, Wii, Video recorder and a dvd player. He checked it all and said it was fine. There was a sky dish attached to the house as well.

Geo
23-Aug-10, 16:21
Sorry but this is not quite correct. If you have a Video Recorder you are required to have a Television Licence.

From the TV Licensing website:

"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV. If this is the case, please let us know, as this helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the standard letters we send to unlicensed addresses."

So you don't need a license if you aren't usng the VCR to watch or record programs as they are broadcast.

pegasus
23-Aug-10, 22:50

The Reason is that a Video Recorder records Live Broadcast Television. It does not matter if you watch it at a later date it was recorded from a Live Broadcast. Therefore you require a Television Licence.

Also if you have a Black & White Television and a Video Recorder you are required to have a Colour Television Licence as the Recorder records in Colour. Sad but True.
no. the video would have to be conected to an ariel. a video player per se wuld NOT require a licence

pegasus
23-Aug-10, 22:51
From the TV Licensing website:

"The law states that you need to be covered by a TV Licence if you watch or record television programmes, on any device, as they're being shown on TV. This includes TVs, computers, mobile phones, games consoles, digital boxes and DVD/VHS recorders.

You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch programmes on your computer after they have been shown on TV. If this is the case, please let us know, as this helps us to keep our database up to date and means you won't receive the standard letters we send to unlicensed addresses."

So you don't need a license if you aren't usng the VCR to watch or record programs as they are broadcast.
this is correct

pegasus
23-Aug-10, 22:52
The licence is based on the individual, not the property.
no. wrong way round