PDA

View Full Version : Tv problems Help Please x

S&LHEN
22-Aug-10, 16:54
I bought a 32" tv hd flat screen etc 3 years ago and all of a sudden its stopped working. When you turn it on it turns itself off the power is definatly getting to it so im not sure really whats wrong. Its not the remote either.

mrlennie
22-Aug-10, 18:56
http://www.howtomendit.com/answers.php?id=197622

Suggest things from replacing chips to turning off by the plug overnight to release some sort of power surge...

mrlennie
22-Aug-10, 18:58
BTW, Which? say that modern TVs should last at least five years. Anything less indicates a manufacturing fault which should be dealt with under the Sale Of Goods Act, rather than the manufacturer's warranty. end quote

S&LHEN
22-Aug-10, 20:12
Thank you for that I will try, Im pretty sure I wont have the reciept Im awful for keeping paper work !! I hoped it would have done longer too as it wasnt cheap when we got it!! x

mrlennie
22-Aug-10, 20:57
BTW, Which? say that modern TVs should last at least five years. Anything less indicates a manufacturing fault which should be dealt with under the Sale Of Goods Act, rather than the manufacturer's warranty. end quote

Not too sure if you need a reciept as the name of the company who made is it on the tv. A reciept is to prove that you bought it from the shop you want to return it too. Might not be correct about that though.

plasticjock
22-Aug-10, 23:20
mrlennie is correct.

WWW.MONIKIE.ORG.UK Summarises the 'Which' advice:
i.e. 'Under the Sale of Goods Act, retailers are responsible for faulty goods (that are not 'of satisfactory quality') for up to six years after you bought them. In Scotland the period is five years after something goes wrong. 'Satisfactory quality' covers various aspects that could be wrong with the goods, including whether they've lasted as long as you could reasonably expect. A 'reasonable' lifetime for different products is not defined in law and would ultimately be for a court to decide. But, for example, you might reasonably expect a £600 television to last longer than 18 months, but you wouldn't necessarily expect compensation if a £20 kettle broke down in this period.

To see whether stores are shirking their responsibilities, we sent undercover shoppers out to 12 major UK chains, with a complaint about an 18-month VCR that had broken down (six months after the maker's guarantee had expired). They visited two branches of each chain. In 80 per cent of the visits, staff either stated or implied (wrongly) that the problem was nothing to do with them, and washed their hands of it.

CONSUMER POWER
If a store refuses to take responsibility for a faulty product, currently the only way to seek redress is through legal action, which involves proving the goods are faulty. And this is exactly what Which? reader Brenda Robertshaw did when electrical giant Currys refused to fix her £400 washing machine free of charge, when it broke down after only 18 months and ruined some clothes (see 'Currys taken to the cleaners', Which?, October 1999, p4). Brenda won the cost of repairs, compensation and expenses, totalling £190. The judge ruled that it was reasonable to expect a £400 washing machine to last longer than 18 months. Sadly, though, some stores don't seem to have learned from Currys' ruling.'

dx100uk
24-Aug-10, 00:23
can we just clarify that this 6 & 5 yr thing is nonsense, don't know where they got that from, poss confusion with the limitations act on statute baring of debts etc.

there is a european directive, but again, our SOGA & consumer rights act, gives far more clout.

typically 3yrs is about the recognised limit for a flat screen TV for that era of screen technology, unless it cost serious money.

as for the reciept issue, if you don't have it and have no way [let say you paid by credit card - then you could prove it that way] to prove your purchase, then the retailer [to whom this should be directed under SOGA if you can prove you purchased it from them] is within their rights to rebuke you and your only recourse 'could' be toward the maker.

however, you would have to do some research to find out if the issue you are having with the TV has been acknowledge by said manufacturer as a fault when it was made...if so then you should be able to get it replaced for a model of Eqiv spec/price or repaired FOC.

anyway the fault itself.

is this an LCD TV?

if so, although i would not expect it to be the lamp unit, it might well be in your interest to do some internet research, as to the fault you are getting. could be the lamp unit [which is not too expensive and quite easy to change] or it could be a power supply issue, the latter might well put the repair into the £100+ mark and for a TV of that era. may wellmake it BER.

dx