PDA

View Full Version : Odd shop keepers

mrlennie
21-Aug-10, 16:38
Hi all I have just been into a shop and the shop keeper is always dead odd just wondering what's the weirdest thing you've seen a shop keeper do including salesmen/women.

It is interesting to me because the relationship between a shopkeeper and customer is often based on mutual gain, rather parasitic, still no bad feelings are usually harboured. But if you had a friendship like this you might feel guilty or may slightly feel uncomfortable. Anyone know what I'm going on about?[lol]

Bazeye
21-Aug-10, 16:55
In a word, No.

Kodiak
21-Aug-10, 17:02
Errr What was the question again?

thebigman
21-Aug-10, 17:10
Start the Danny Craig list here ;-)

Aussiewicker
21-Aug-10, 17:30
Tell us more about your experience....

Lavenderblue2
21-Aug-10, 17:53
Start the Danny Craig list here ;-)

:lol: That's exactly who was going through my mind when I read mrlennie's post...great minds ;-) Then there is a certain person who isn't a shop keeper but works in... a Post Office....:roll:

taz
21-Aug-10, 17:57
Danny craig,classic, remember going in to his shop for a single fag (they were 7p and russian lol)he would always shout at you to put the money on the counter would go balistic if you tried to hand him the cash...

highland red
21-Aug-10, 18:04
Danny craig,classic, remember going in to his shop for a single fag (they were 7p and russian lol)he would always shout at you to put the money on the counter would go balistic if you tried to hand him the cash...

What Danny Craig used to sell odd fags?

He's done well for himself hasn't he? One minute selling odd illicit fags the next, swanning around with beautiful women in tow at The Cannes Film Festival.

I'm surprised that The Caithness Tourist Board don't make more of the fact that the current James Bond started on a life of fame and infamy by selling fags in Caithness.:eek:

Funny old World.

Phill
21-Aug-10, 18:36
dead odd

Was this in Portgower by any chance?

:eek:

Bobbin
21-Aug-10, 18:55
Wifie in Johnstons bakery :confused

Buttercup
21-Aug-10, 20:40
That's exactly who was going through my mind when I read mrlennie's post...great minds ;-) Then there is a certain person who isn't a shop keeper but works in... a Post Office....:roll:

Too true ~ think everyone tries to avoid him!!:lol:

gunnlass
21-Aug-10, 21:33
Not me, I find him ok, each to their own.

mrlennie
21-Aug-10, 23:38
He works in a shop in wick - - - can anyone guess...1st clue he is really quiet and mumbles if you speak to him.

joxville
22-Aug-10, 01:56
When I was a kid I hated using the local sub-post office. The owner was about 7' tall, had a voice that made Brian Blessed sound like a boy soprano, and was beaten with the ugly stick when he was born. A real scary character if ever there was one, he walked the shop talking to himself, also, since he hated everyone I don't know how he managed to remain in business for so many years.

Bazeye
22-Aug-10, 04:40
I'm still clueless. i'm sure there are plenty of shopkeepers and post office employees that think us punters are a bit odd though. Who cares?

teddybear1873
22-Aug-10, 06:27
Walkin into Johnny Paul the barbers. He looked at you and wasnt sure if you were in for a haircut or to buy condoms lol.

Bazeye
22-Aug-10, 18:13
Walkin into Johnny Paul the barbers. He looked at you and wasnt sure if you were in for a haircut or to buy condoms lol.

What size? Small, medium or Oh my God!!!

tenabowla
22-Aug-10, 19:52
Would you really have gone into Danny Craig's if it wasn't for the excellent "Italian" ice cream. Seem to remember the 1/4 of sports mixture and a Sunday post, before everyone sold Sunday papers.

EDDIE
22-Aug-10, 20:26
His ice cream was good what ever happened to his icecream did he sell the recipe?

Blarney
22-Aug-10, 20:33
I believe that he sold the recipe to the Cormack brothers who had the shop at High Ormlie for a few years. The reason that Danny Craig always shouted at folk to put the money on the counter was that they were handing over the cash over the urns of ice cream and if the money fell in it was a ruined batch. Aye he was a girning old so and so but he couldn't half make great ice cream!

Dadie
22-Aug-10, 20:43
It was the lady that used to work in J Mackays .. think she now works in the CO-OP that used to scare me as a child!

Blarney
22-Aug-10, 20:53
....or the wee man who had the antique shop next door :eek:

mrlennie
22-Aug-10, 20:59
Are talking about wick or thurso coop?

Dadie
22-Aug-10, 21:06
Thurso......!

Dog-eared
22-Aug-10, 21:06
Yes,Blarney -
the wee antique manny in the "ships wheel ", where "the bistro " is now
Aye, what a wee character!

mrlennie
22-Aug-10, 21:08
Ahh just wondering as wick coop is very close to where im on about

Dadie
22-Aug-10, 21:14
Or setting foot in Hornes (where alacam is now) was like going back in time if you went up the 3stairs to the back where the wine making stuff was some off the stuff on the shelves looked older than me!

2boyz1girl
23-Aug-10, 17:50
I'm glad I'm not a shop keeper/post office worker. Hope the certain ones described in peoples posts don't read the thread, they may find it upsetting. At the end of the day they are out earning a crust and minding thier own, people shouln't be so judgemental. Or maybe not discuss it on a local website for all to see....:roll:

Blondie
23-Aug-10, 18:01
I have to agree with you. This thread is in really bad taste and could be upsetting to the folk concerned or relatives.

Miss Mack
23-Aug-10, 19:38
Ahh just wondering as wick coop is very close to where im on about
LOL, I think i know who your on about !!!;)

mrlennie
23-Aug-10, 19:47
I have to agree with you. This thread is in really bad taste and could be upsetting to the folk concerned or relatives.

Oh do settle down.

LOL, I think i know who your on about !!!;)

I knew I couldn't be the only one!:lol:

Dadie
23-Aug-10, 21:51
Loved the twins who had the hardware shop in Thurso.
They were always nice and fussed over you as much if you were only spending pennies on a brass snib as they would if you were having a big spend on a lawnmower for example!