PDA

View Full Version : what computer?

Fran
10-Jul-06, 02:19
I am presently using windows 98 computer but have been told it is now too old and not protected so i need to get a new computer.
Any suggestions please on which would be the best one to get and where?

william53
10-Jul-06, 04:45
Why not go online and have a look at what dell has to offer my wife has one and she has had no problem with it and i think they have good deals on there systems.

blueivy
10-Jul-06, 16:54
Fran,

I'm never one to follow the Jones's so I'm concerned that you feel you need a new PC as you've been told it's too old and not protected anymore. Too old for what? Not protected from what?

If it's served you well up until now, why would you go and change it? Windows 98 (SE) is still a perfectly usable operating system and while protected with the same software that you need to use to protect XP (especially when while online) should work for you now as it's done in the past.

The only issues you will have with continuing to use Windows 98 is lack of new driver support (so that new bit of hardware you get might not work), lack of software support (some of the newer software packages might not support it) and Microsoft no longer produce patches for it. If none of that affects you I don't see the reason to upgrade.

Of course there may be a perfectly good reason you were told this, but you didn't tell us that :-)

Shalom
11-Jul-06, 16:42
Hi, Fran!
We bought a new computer a few months ago...from Dell. If you order online, you can choose exactly the components you want......so it can be a lot cheaper than it appears from the brochures. The computer is made to your specifications in Ireland.

blueivy
11-Jul-06, 18:30
Hi Shalom,

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant. It's not meant to at all. I wrote it, then edited it to add this comment. Anyway, here goes.

There are many other PC manufacturers and builders other than Dell, including here in Caithness. Unfortunately Dell seem to concentrate solely on price which generally leaves other avenues lacking. Compaq are exactly the same with call centres on the other side of the world that have a stop watch on the amount of time they can spend with you and often charge you hugely for the privilege.

Every time I 've been to Dell I never get the 'brochure' price. What they generally offer is a little titbit to actually draw you in and you end spending more money than you need.

If you are looking for a PC from myself for example:
I will talk to you about what you need in a workstation, laptop or other equipment so you are sure you get something that meets your needs.
I install your computer for free.
If it goes wrong I'm just down the street (or across the county). I'll come to your door and fix the problem.
I offer 1 hour of basic training on using the workstation, laptop or other equipment. If you don't need the training then I'll hook up the PC to a printer or a network, whatever you need.
I offer a "Zero Hassles" guarantee with any purchase. If by chance it goes wrong, I'll swap out the parts or even the machine with a temporary replacement.
I use a freephone number so calling me won't cost you a penny.You try getting all of that from Dell or Compaq alone!

I'm sorry that this sounds like an ad. I suppose it is, but I'm hoping it's also a demonstration that there are a number of very good IT businesses here on your doorstep who provide first class products and service. If you want to get a PC that is as cheap as you can get it, you're right, Dell, Compaq and maybe even Fujitsu are the websites to go to. They will let you even build your PC on their site as they have the website and resources to let you do that. They will generally beat any small business hands down on price. That's why I don't compete on price because I can't beat them. And that's why Dell, Comapq and Fujitsu only compete on price as they can't beat me on service. I try and supply the best of both worlds - good branded hardware with first class local support.

Anyway, next time you think of a PC try and think of something local. You might actually get a surprise!

taylor.4
11-Jul-06, 19:14
I am presently using windows 98 computer but have been told it is now too old and not protected so i need to get a new computer.
Any suggestions please on which would be the best one to get and where?I am also using windows 98 computer, have had no problems yet so don't see the need to upgrade at the moment:)

Tristan
12-Jul-06, 07:51
Not protected? Most malware and viruses are NOT written for win98, so in someways you are better protected with a 98 machine. A few years ago there was a big virus scare but people with a computer running win98 didn't have to worry about it.
If it ain't broke don't fix it!
But if you want a new toy....

Kingetter
12-Jul-06, 14:19
Any suggestions please on which would be the best one to get and where?

If someone said that about your car, what would you think/do?
Only probs you might have difficulty with I think may be adding more RAM - largely a motherboard issue I believe. Also, if you need (not want) something faster, or can't do broadband or similar issues then change what you have. I liked 98.

blueivy
12-Jul-06, 15:12
If you have an older motherboard and can't get RAM .... try eBay. I've found a good few bits of kit on there for older PC's. A lot of businesses on eBay offer older kit for a premium (as there's not much demand), however if you can wait just keep checking for auctions for somebody who just wants rid of it and you might pick it up cheaply.

Alternatively, I have a bag full! If you know what you need, let me know and I'll see if I have it.

Shalom
12-Jul-06, 15:22
Hi Shalom,

I'm sorry if this sounds like a rant. It's not meant to at all. I wrote it, then edited it to add this comment. Anyway, here goes.

There are many other PC manufacturers and builders other than Dell, including here in Caithness. Unfortunately Dell seem to concentrate solely on price which generally leaves other avenues lacking. Compaq are exactly the same with call centres on the other side of the world that have a stop watch on the amount of time they can spend with you and often charge you hugely for the privilege.

Anyway, next time you think of a PC try and think of something local. You might actually get a surprise!

Hi! I don't mind your rant one tiny bit! I'm not saying Dell is better than other manufacturers.....just saying we are pleased with the computer we got. And it was a lot CHEAPER than the brochure prices.
My main reason for buying from a big company was that we got our first computer made locally and we were cheated! OK, it was some years ago but we got 56MB memory.....that's when 128MB to 256MBwas standard (I have never heard of anyone getting that figure....usually it's 64MB) and there were other cheap shortcuts taken....we didn't know enough to realise we were being taken for a ride.....the price (£1200) was exorbitant for what we got! A cheap scanner and printer were included in this but even so....
We have also had dealings with another local outfit regarding repairs......hopeless! They said it was not possible to fix the computer and that the only alternative was to have them build us another....at a minimum of £700......but a friend helped us to chose the right motherboard and the whole thing cost just over £100!
In case of misunderstanding, I'll just tell you that the person who sold us the first computer is no longer working in that line and no longer in Caithness.
We would have preferred to buy locally as there is more comeback as you said....but maybe you can understand why we decided not to. If we ever need another computer, we'll get in touch with you now that we know about you! Where are you situated?

blueivy
12-Jul-06, 15:46
Hi Shalom,

Never heard of ANYBODY having 56Mb of RAM - was it not 64Mb of RAM and shared 8MB of it for a video card (have seen that).

I completely understand. I suppose when you've been burned more than once when buying locally it's time to try another tactic and Dell has worked out for you (and millions of others I'm guessing!). They do offer good value for money on the hardware side but it's when there is a problem that I know from both experience and other customers than they lack. It's not strictly their fault, it's their size.

These large companies cannot hope to provide a personal service without a huge investment in their people and a complete change to their customer service. That's where local business (ie. the ones who're not cowboys!) come in.

One of the main reasons I got started in business in the first place (as you can see from my About page on the website (http://www.smallbusiness-it.com)) is due to 'cowboys' operating in the market place. My primary business is with small businesses, however I do deal with home customers a lot. Over the years I've seen some shocking rip-offs and heard some awful lies that customers have been told. It irritates me that these companies continue to lie time after time after time and get away with it while the customers foot the bill. What also irritates me is that these so called companies never actually deal with the complaints properly (if at all)!

This is why I always guarantee my work, I always take complaints very seriously (although I have to admit that to date I've had zero!) and if my skills are not up to the job and I can't do what you require, you don't pay me. I also keep monitoring what customers want and change the business to suit. For example, from the 1st of August, which is the businesses 5th birthday month (see the website (http://www.smallbusiness-it.com) later today), I will no longer be working to hourly rates. Again this allows customers to know what they're getting and the suggestion came directly from a customer! I try to take care of customers - all the other cowboys do is undermine that putting me and everybody else back a step.

Anyway, before I go off on another rant I'll say thank you for your kind words. If you're in the market in future, give me a call. I am based in Wick but cover both Caithness and Sutherland (and Glasgow, Edinburgh and some of the West Coast around Fort William - 90% of my work is done remotely using customised software so little need to travel).