PDA

View Full Version : Compulsory childhood routines (outside the home)

David Banks
20-Aug-10, 13:21
Do you remember what you 'had to do' as a child?
If you are a parent of schoolage children, what are the rules today - e.g.: regarding singing of the National Anthem?
What are your views of such practices?

PRIMARY SCHOOL, 1952 - 59
1. Lord's prayer every morning before start of classes
2. Before school dinners (for those who lived too far away to go home) we had to first say grace "for what we are about to receive etc."

HIGH SCHOOL, 1959 - 65
1. Had to go to "assembly" but cannot remember if it was daily or only on Fridays. This involved (as I remember it) a hymn, prayer and scripture reading. Minorities (such as catholics) were excused from attendance.
2. Did we have to say grace before school lunches - I can't remember?

PICTURE HOUSE/CINEMA, 1959 - 65
1. At end of movie, they played the national anthem (before the end of the credits) and one had to stand in place until the anthem was completed.

Tugmistress
20-Aug-10, 13:40
Primary school was the same

high school was assembly every day the same but no 'grace' at lunch there were too many sittings lol

i remember the national anthem being played at cinemas but hardly anyone stood still,

my school years were 1971 to 1983 i think :eek:

plutonio
20-Aug-10, 13:52
i remember in primary school we had to recite the books of The Bible every morning (still know most of them)

Bazeye
20-Aug-10, 17:14
If you said the Lords prayer now and played the National Anthem, half the kids parents would be "offended" by it. fact.

redeyedtreefrog
20-Aug-10, 17:36
There is no forced religion in Wick high anymore, not sure about the primaries. As for the national anthem, I've never heard it played in public.To be honest, I doubt I've heard more than the first twenty seconds.

Welcomefamily
20-Aug-10, 18:17
At assembly each morning, the Head Master followed by two lines of teachers all in Gowns would come up throught the middle of the assembly hall to the sound of the school hymn (When a Knight won his spurs in those stories of old,).

Standing up when a teacher entered the room, standing up for grace before dinner.

National Anthem at the end of pictures and also when the TV finished at night, if I was at my grand parents, he would also expect us all to stand up.

If you saw a herse you got off your bikes and stood still, take your cap off etc.

domino
20-Aug-10, 19:45
In the 1940,s we had to learn the Catechisms of by heart

Bazeye
21-Aug-10, 17:08
In the 1940,s we had to learn the Catechisms of by heart

Still remember?

Alice in Blunderland
21-Aug-10, 18:12
We had to say the lords prayer before lunch when I was at primary school.

The kids in our school in the village have to say grace before every meal and have assembly once a week. :D

Dadie
21-Aug-10, 19:49
We had to say grace before lunch at primary school.
And it was always soup and sandwiches on a Monday and angel delight on a friday.

Tugmistress
21-Aug-10, 20:12
oh god, were you ever subject to the lumpy pink custard? YUK!

Dadie
21-Aug-10, 20:22
No custard was eaten by me!
Hated the stuff..but dont think we had PINK!
But remember the aluminium beakers (I liked the red ones best) and the melamine plates.
Gym pants in Navy...

Tugmistress
21-Aug-10, 20:31
haha yes the navy knickers! white school shirt tucked in was the order! even at age 11 :(
pink lumpy custard was served at least once a week in junior ( you call it primary up here).

golach
21-Aug-10, 20:42
Gym pants in Navy...

I was in the Navy....never wore Gym pants [lol]

gleeber
21-Aug-10, 22:42
I remember standing for the national anthem after the pictures and after a dance. I suppose we did it because everyone had done it before us. By about the mid sixties it started to die out.
Its amazing how much the world has changed in the past 60 years.

Bazeye
22-Aug-10, 18:11

Not even at the weekend?;)

Mrs Bucket
22-Aug-10, 20:08
Not even at the weekend?;)
Was it knickers you wore golach

Kenn
23-Aug-10, 13:11
Senior school, green pleated gym slips with regulation itchy green matching knickers for the first two years!
Assembly every morning with prayers and hymns followed by school notices but you could be excepted on religeous grounds.
Belting out the school song at the start and end of term, can still remember it although the school it's self is long gone.
End of term sports matches, staff versus pupils which was hilarious.

Junior and infants school, having to take a rest during the afternoon on those scratchy coconut mats and then making a race for the rocking horse in an effort to be first on!
Doing outside gymnastics on a tramac surface with no safety mats.
Making ice slides down the playground in winter.
Marbles and conkers.

Swearing and forgetting to say "Please," and "Thankyou," along with not adressing the teachers by Mr, Mrs or Miss was tantamount to treason.

The world has gone mad when so much of this is denied to our youngsters today.Ok, there were a few accidents but we were quite proud of our bruises and took a delight in showing off their multi-coloured hues.

Tubthumper
23-Aug-10, 13:26
Are you sure Golach?;)

Dadie
23-Aug-10, 13:39
The visit by the nit nurse once a term:eek:
Then being mortified if you got a letter home!

golach
23-Aug-10, 14:55
Are you sure Golach?;)

Gym did not like me wearing her pants [lol]