PDA

View Full Version : Nuisance telephone calls

Green_not_greed
19-Aug-10, 22:50
We seem to be getting more and more nuisance telephone calls over the past few months. I don't mean the heavy breathing variety - (I'd welcome them - at least I could have some fun winding them up!) - I mean the computer-generated lifeless recorded messages. We now seem to get at least one every night during the week at around 6pm, and more at weekends.

I'm sure its not just us and that it's pretty widespread.

I was wondering if other orgers have similar problems and managed to get the calls blocked or stopped?

Beat Bug
19-Aug-10, 23:05
We quite regularily get what we call the Mystery Caller. The phone gives one, or occasionally 2 rings, then stops. This can be at any time, but usually during the evenings, and sometimes through the night. We've done a 1471, but there is no record of the call. BT say there is nothing they can do, but gave an explanation. Computer-generated cold calls continually dial numbers, even those which are ex-directory. If there isn't an operator available to take up the call, the computer hangs up and dials another number.

Green_not_greed
19-Aug-10, 23:14
Thanks but the usual is a 10 second silence, followed by their recorded message. I used to answer the phone but now simply pick it up (if I don't recognise the caller ID) then put it down when I hear the message start up.

At least with humans on the other end you could have a bit of a crack - and probably a wicked one at their expense! Not with computers.

Bazeye
19-Aug-10, 23:42
At least with humans on the other end you could have a bit of a crack - and probably a wicked one at their expense!

Yes indeedy.[lol]

Alice in Blunderland
19-Aug-10, 23:52
Register with the telephone preference service. This should cut these calls down.

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/

Follow the link and register. :)

cuthill
19-Aug-10, 23:52
I have been getting these calls the past few days,its driving me nuts.

dx100uk
20-Aug-10, 03:14
as said register with tps

there is also a free nuisance call blocker if you are with bt.
just log in to your account online and activate it.

dx

Green_not_greed
20-Aug-10, 08:13
Register with the telephone preference service. This should cut these calls down.

Thanks Alice.

Have registered, will let you know if it's made any difference.

Thumper
20-Aug-10, 09:36
I have registered,ages ago,and I still get them! x

DeHaviLand
20-Aug-10, 09:38
I have registered,ages ago,and I still make them! x

^^ fixed it for you :Razz

Phill
20-Aug-10, 09:40
We used to get all these silly calls, and several for someone who must have had this number before us.

Registered with the TPS which after about 3 months cut the calls a little bit, but then they started increasing in frequency again to about 2 or 3 a day, they display as an international no'.

I remedied this some time ago and I am now nuisance call free.

'tis right about computers doing the calling, for the business we had a block of 3 numbers in sequence but they all went to the same phone and every few days they would ring one after the other.

Solution for nuisance calls: Broadband users - on the back of the ADSL filter there will 2 sockets 'modem' & 'phone' or 'Tel' remove the plug from 'phone / tel'

Non broadband users - you have a master socket where the phoneline comes into your property, remove the plug.

pat
20-Aug-10, 10:10
It takes about a month for all the calls to stop but it is certainly worth putting your number on the list, been on the list for years.

Also do not rush to pick up the phone - let it ring a few times as many of these automatic dialling systems (theoverseas won a holiday ones) dial 10 numbers and the first to pick up cuts off the others ringing.

No one can stop these overseas calls at the moment but hopefully they will manage a way of stopping them eventually.

Cattach
20-Aug-10, 10:11

I have been registered for e few years and it stopped almost all calls. However, most of those new ones come up as INTERNATIONAL on my phone at either just after 1 o'clock or 6 o'clock in the evening and are not stopped. I just look and if it is INTERNATIONAL I just do not answer.

wicker8
20-Aug-10, 10:19
i am like thumper i have been registered ,but the calls keep on coming :mad:

achingale
20-Aug-10, 11:06
Set up an answering service then you will not have to answer them anymore. That is what we did and we just leave them to ring then it stops when the answering kicks in. It is still a pain but better than having your blood pressure rise.;)

Thumper
20-Aug-10, 12:09
I have been registered for e few years and it stopped almost all calls. However, most of those new ones come up as INTERNATIONAL on my phone at either just after 1 o'clock or 6 o'clock in the evening and are not stopped. I just look and if it is INTERNATIONAL I just do not answer.

Yip mine are all international too,but my problem is I cant ignore it as three of my closest friends live abroad! :mad: x

Tam 2000
20-Aug-10, 13:37
We are continously bombarded with calls to Allans of Gillock,some times 6+ per day but we get peace on Sundays as they are closed (I think).

BO-PEEP
20-Aug-10, 15:05
[evil]We have had these irritating calls, wish there was something we could do.

Kodiak
20-Aug-10, 15:52
[evil]We have had these irritating calls, wish there was something we could do.

I would suggest that you do what we did. We had our phone set that if anyone phones us with a witheld number it is rejected.

Now we only get calls that we can see their number on the caller display. If we do not know the number we reject it.

That way we do not get any nuisance calls at all. :D