PDA

View Full Version : Plants for pot

Liz
09-Jul-06, 18:54
Hi

Can anyone recommend hardy perennials for pots?

They must be low growing as it is very windy in our garden.

Thanks!

unicorn
09-Jul-06, 19:00
Viola's and pansy's are good mine always come back as they reseed themselves :) great plants!!

Liz
09-Jul-06, 21:42
Thanks Unicorn.

I love pansies but unfortunately when I put them in the pots they got blasted by the wind poor things!:(

janette
10-Jul-06, 13:50
An ivy looks good in wide shallow pot. It will trail of the side, stay green all year and other plants ie busy lizzie, hanging lobelia for summer. Add tete a tete daffs for the winter, and maybe short stemmed tulips. Crocus planted with the daffs add interest and provide a longer display. Some of the tall pots I find to be top heavy and topple especially if they need watering. Just a suggestion.

Liz
10-Jul-06, 15:01
An ivy looks good in wide shallow pot. It will trail of the side, stay green all year and other plants ie busy lizzie, hanging lobelia for summer. Add tete a tete daffs for the winter, and maybe short stemmed tulips. Crocus planted with the daffs add interest and provide a longer display. Some of the tall pots I find to be top heavy and topple especially if they need watering. Just a suggestion.

I was thinking about a trailing plant and an ivy sounds nice.

Thanks a lot for the other ideas as well. Much appreciated!:)

changilass
10-Jul-06, 15:54
Cordyline australis/purperia works well, although it can grow quite tall it can take quite a blast of wind withouth too much harm:D

janette
10-Jul-06, 19:22
another idea is to make a mini alpine garden, in the same shape of a pot. It looks better in a terracotta pot.

pink
11-Jul-06, 11:01
How about a hosta

Liz
12-Jul-06, 12:26
Great ideas!!!:)

Thanks!