PDA

View Full Version : Red Cross Collectors

linedancer1
19-Aug-10, 09:29
Hi Orgers

Can anybody tell me if there is official red cross collectors in the area just now, my mum had a collecting lady at the door last night, she didnt want cash there and then she only wanted her bank details and it would only cost her £2 per week. Who in their right minds would give their bank details to a complete stranger on the doorstep. I DON'T THINK SO. Is this a new scam AGAIN or legit collecting. I hope in a way that this is a scam as the Red Cross is a very good charity and it would be a shame if their good name was sullied in this way.

The Flea
19-Aug-10, 09:50
I would contact the police about it, sounds strange to be asking bank details.

rob1
19-Aug-10, 10:49
A lot of charities collect in this way. I often get approached by the collectors when I am down in Inverness or any other big town/city. I think they do it this way for a number of reasons. one the collectors aren’t carrying pots of money so they aren’t a target for a snatch and grab crime. Also it provides the charity with a more constant income of cash.

I doubt this is a scam. But I also feel uncomfortable about giving my bank details to strangers on the street or at my front door. The collectors should all have ID or a registration card.

rob1
19-Aug-10, 10:52
Should have added this link from the red cross website:
http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/Our-fundraisers/Where-our-fundraisers-are-working

KW14 is listed as "where our fundraisers are working" for this week

Lavenderblue2
26-Aug-10, 19:05
I see on the news tonight that this practice of people asking for bank details on behalf of charities is big business. I think they said it is called 'chugging'... what an odd name :confused

Newsnight is covering this very subject tonight 10.30 on BBC2.

Bazeye
26-Aug-10, 19:15
Should have added this link from the red cross website:
http://www.redcross.org.uk/Donate-Now/Our-fundraisers/Where-our-fundraisers-are-working

KW14 is listed as "where our fundraisers are working" for this week

Whats to stop thieves and fraudsters looking at this site before they strike?

Doreen
26-Aug-10, 20:30
I had them to there at it.

Bazeye
26-Aug-10, 23:13
I see on the news tonight that this practice of people asking for bank details on behalf of charities is big business. I think they said it is called 'chugging'... what an odd name :confused

Newsnight is covering this very subject tonight 10.30 on BBC2.

Charity mugging.

weefee
27-Aug-10, 12:39
They are genuine....I called Red Cross....and then i signed up to them, its a sad state of affairs when we have to be paranoid about everyone.

Margaret M.
27-Aug-10, 19:08
I would not give my bank details to an individual standing on my doorstep or anywhere else. The fact that he/she is participating in a legitimate collection makes no difference.

Bazeye
27-Aug-10, 20:13
I would not give my bank details to an individual standing on my doorstep. The fact that he/she is participating in a legitimate collection makes no difference.

Nether would I, dont know if its because Im paranoid though or just mean. However i would have no objection to giving them my address.

EDDIE
28-Aug-10, 09:40
Collectors comming to the door asking for bank details to set up a monthly debit with that charity i think its one thing asking for a donation and another asking for a monthly ongoing donation.
But for me i think giving someone you dont no your bank details is just asking for trouble its so easy to commit identity fraud without your bank details never mind giving it to them on a plate.Just the same as i dont think it would be to difficult for a thief to get envolved in collecting for charity and getting a registered card.
The other downside with setting up a direct debit with a charity on the spur of the moment decision is that if ever wanted to cancel it you would feel the bady when ifact its not your fault its theres for trying to pressure sell a direct debit scheme

EDDIE
28-Aug-10, 09:48
Hi Orgers

Can anybody tell me if there is official red cross collectors in the area just now, my mum had a collecting lady at the door last night, she didnt want cash there and then she only wanted her bank details and it would only cost her £2 per week. Who in their right minds would give their bank details to a complete stranger on the doorstep. I DON'T THINK SO. Is this a new scam AGAIN or legit collecting. I hope in a way that this is a scam as the Red Cross is a very good charity and it would be a shame if their good name was sullied in this way.

Why £2 a week that is quite a lot when u think about if they get 1 million people in the uk to sign up for that thats 2 million pounds a week they make not even big companys out to make money make that
It should have really been £2 a month would make more sense

Lavenderblue2
28-Aug-10, 09:54
They are genuine....I called Red Cross....and then i signed up to them, its a sad state of affairs when we have to be paranoid about everyone.

Yes apparently these people are genuine, but the scandalous thing about it is Charities like the Red Cross and others pay these individuals around £150 for each sign up!! Therefore it would take 18 months at £2 per week, the amount often requested, before that huge fee is cleared and the givers money is actually doing some good. :confused

Loafer
28-Aug-10, 10:20
I had a tall leggy blonde in a mini skirt appear at the door collecting for the Red Cross. She was without doubt trying to make the most of her assets. I couldn't get a word in edgeways with her, she spoke for a good 2 minutes and finished with "right, let's get the paperwork filled in for your £2 per week donation". At this point I got angry and said I donated who I wanted to and not who I was dictated by. I also told her I donated to one charity via a direct debit and I was doing no more. She then said "Only 1? some of your neighbours donate to 7 or 8". At that point I said goodbye. I could imagine some elderly folk could easily be intimidated by this.

Nice legs though;-)))

The Loafer

riggerboy
28-Aug-10, 11:37
i dont care what colour they are blue red yellow or black but if any blinking cross collectors come to my door they can off, i dinna mind give to happy collectors but to pot with giving money to people that come to the door in a bad mood