PDA

View Full Version : I hope this isn't a vision of the future

ducati
19-Aug-10, 08:42
http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=118439

Contracts for Pentland Firth tidal power projects involving: Norway, Fife and Orkney :roll:

orkneycadian
21-Aug-10, 03:50
I hope it is!
:lol:

ducati
21-Aug-10, 07:50
I hope it is!

Yes, I suppose you do, Mr Johannsvensonson [lol]

Kodiak
21-Aug-10, 16:08
I hope it is!

I agree as it al sounds good to me :D

redeyedtreefrog
21-Aug-10, 17:51
Yeah I'm all for clean energy, where better than the Pentland Firth for tidal?

ducati
21-Aug-10, 18:58
Yeah I'm all for clean energy, where better than the Pentland Firth for tidal?

I think you may have missed the point :lol:

_Ju_
21-Aug-10, 19:18
The point being that it is a cooperation between several countries, which you see as a weakness and a conceeding of UK's absolute rights over the tidal powers of the Pentland Firth?

Yes, because cooperation has never been the motivator of develpoment, scientific or otherwise. (dripping in irony).

Rheghead
21-Aug-10, 20:03
Who would ever agree to the massive industrialisation and environmental damage of the tranquil coast of our Caithness for the sake of greedy developers who are just out for massive subsidies and a variable energy source that needs back up from reliable sources?

Phill
21-Aug-10, 20:51
It is interesting that with the wind down of Dounreay and the fabrication & manufacturing base we have here were gonna import underwater windymills rather than make them.

But then we buy in the windymills so why should it be any different hey.

ducati
21-Aug-10, 22:08
The point being that it is a cooperation between several countries, which you see as a weakness and a conceeding of UK's absolute rights over the tidal powers of the Pentland Firth?

Yes, because cooperation has never been the motivator of develpoment, scientific or otherwise. (dripping in irony).

No. Caithness is missing :eek:

Green_not_greed
21-Aug-10, 23:21
Who would ever agree to the massive industrialisation and environmental damage of the tranquil coast of our Caithness for the sake of greedy developers who are just out for massive subsidies and a variable energy source that needs back up from reliable sources?

No-one in their right mind.

Sara Jevo
22-Aug-10, 10:14
Who and where in Caithness has the capacity or expertise to design and manufacture things this size?

You'd need a yard the size of those that built the things for the North Sea.

http://my.fit.edu/~swood/images/MarineTurbines.jpg

ducati
22-Aug-10, 11:52
Who and where in Caithness has the capacity or expertise to design and manufacture things this size?

N.E.S. in Bower and AMEC in Janetstown. Subsea 7 at Wester. There would also be ample sub contracts for all the other engineering companies based in Caithness.

Green_not_greed
22-Aug-10, 13:51
N.E.S. in Bower and AMEC in Janetstown. Subsea 7 at Wester. There would also be ample sub contracts for all the other engineering companies based in Caithness.

I presume you mean JGC at Janetstown and not AMEC. AMEC have an office in Caithness, not a fabrication facility.

Sara Jevo
22-Aug-10, 14:03

How would you move something this size to a launch site? It's ginormous! Wouldn't you need a yard with a basin, like they have at Nigg at Arderseir?

I'd love to see the work done locally. But that needs local companies to go compete with the yards already in production. And it hasn't happened with the windmills.

http://www.rechargenews.com/multimedia/archive/00035/AlantisHiResforweb_35185b.jpg

ducati
22-Aug-10, 21:12
I presume you mean JGC at Janetstown and not AMEC. AMEC have an office in Caithness, not a fabrication facility.

I understand that AMEC bought over that facility 2 years ago?

ducati
22-Aug-10, 21:17
How would you move something this size to a launch site? It's ginormous!
http://www.rechargenews.com/multimedia/archive/00035/AlantisHiResforweb_35185b.jpg

In manageble size chunks. Have you seen the size of some of the pipe bundles they launched at Wester? :eek: Great picture, very atmospheric.

The point is there are engineering companies in Caithness that have the capability. They need to win the contracts. I'm sure they are working on it right now. :D

Sara Jevo
22-Aug-10, 21:30
That's good news - I didn't realise they could build things that big. I hope they do get a chance.

Whitewater
22-Aug-10, 21:36
They have the ability in Caithness. However, they do not have a yard big enough to take the work on, and to build one in the hope of winning a contract would be very risky. Having said that I'm sure that Subsea 7 could adapt to building that sort of structure with with a little help from the Scottish Government. They have certainly constructed some of the largest undersea tubebundles in the world, and after all, apart from the impellers the bodies of the turbines are only large diameter tubes and very short ones at that compared to what has been built at Wester.

Sara Jevo
22-Aug-10, 22:51
This one's a whopper too

http://igutek.scripts.mit.edu/terrascope/tidal-energy-farm.jpg

And it looks like you'd need a jumbo jet hangar for this.

undersea turbine demonstrator (http://montaraventures.com/energy/category/hydro/)

http://montaraventures.com/pix/16mseagenrotor.jpg

Rheghead
22-Aug-10, 23:27
They'll never generate more than the energy that took to build them and they are inefficient too.

Phill
22-Aug-10, 23:57
They'll never generate more than the energy that took to build them and they are inefficient too.

Yeah, windymills are like that but they produce ROC's though so it's all tickety boo.

Phill
23-Aug-10, 00:02
And it looks like you'd need a jumbo jet hangar for this.
http://montaraventures.com/pix/16mseagenrotor.jpg

Now this is destined to be British built. This is wasted on the Swede's or even the ruthless efficiency of the Germans.
How many supervising and how many working??

This is what we need in Caithness.

Rheghead
23-Aug-10, 03:03
Yeah, windymills are like that but they produce ROC's though so it's all tickety boo.

But tidal produces ROCs so their developers are greedy as much as wind mill developers, no? In fact, tidal greed is greater because don't they receive more ROCs per megawatthour?

Also, doesn't Caithness produce enough renewable energy for itself by those windmilly things so why do we have to give away our tides to those down south and be left with the environmental damage etc??

ducati
23-Aug-10, 10:23
Reghead, your grapes seem a tad sour :lol:

Rheghead
23-Aug-10, 11:18
Then there is the fact that tidal doesn't deliver power when it is needed.

So is tidal needed if it doesn't deliver power when it is needed?

Surely it is like a flashlight that only comes on during the day, what use is that?

Even Chance
23-Aug-10, 14:21
Then there is the fact that tidal doesn't deliver power when it is needed.

So is tidal needed if it doesn't deliver power when it is needed?

Surely it is like a flashlight that only comes on during the day, what use is that?

Eh??
I thought you were pretty well switched on til I read this Rheghead.
The tides in the firth move ALL the time, so surely deliver their maximum output ALL the time? If there were enough of them, surely there would be an excess of power generation at times? That is of course IF there were enough of them!;)

I really like the idea of Tidal energy production personally. Certainly a lot more reliable than wind. Not that Im knocking wind mind you.;)

But yes, wid it no be great til hev them built here? I know there are firms in Caithness toying with them at the moment, and that firm "Tocardo" were due to build a fabrication shop and yard at the harbour in Wick that has so far never materialised.

If only..............

Rheghead
23-Aug-10, 18:30
Wind and tidal have the same inherent property that the Grid can only take the power when it is there. Tidal will maximise and minimise approximately twice per day where as wind fronts will take a day or two to cross the country. The strain on the balancing boys at the Grid will be greater trying to balance the effects of tidal, predictability doesn't help the convicted prisoner if he knows he is to be hanged at 6am prompt.

Tidal is also vastly more expensive, less output for your buck and it attracts more ROCs from consumers. It will push energy bills up through the roof. I am going to have to make some sacrifices in my expenses, perhaps my daughter won't get that big teddy in the toyshop window for Xmas after all? And the technology is largely unproven thus it could be just rusting hulks left in the Pentland. How will they attract visitors to our fragile environment? Not too mention all the Killer whales that will be annually shredded in the blades which will provide endless food for scorries which we already have in abundance.

There will be no workshop, it will all be built in modules elsewhere and dropped in the water.

But why tidal when a coal fired power station will do, Climate change is a load of rubbish because ice is increasing in Antarctica, I saw so on Fox.