PDA

View Full Version : Buying and Selling on the org

summer
18-Aug-10, 21:33
I'm just wondering what rights a buyer has when buying goods off the org. In a shop you just walk in for a refund, on ebay paypal acts as an insurance. But what do you do when you are mis sold goods on the org?

I've had a quick google and apparently the sale of goods act still stands, but how do you go about enforcing it? It's just £20, but the item does not do wot it says on the tin!

Would I have to go to the police to complain?

I might have just chalked it down to experience, or arranged a partial refund or something, but the person is being nasty about it which suggests to me she knew all along and is just scamming.

unicorn
18-Aug-10, 21:41
It is a shame you are having a negative experience, I have bought and gotten many things through the org and always found people honest and helpful.
Maybe you could bring it to the attention of the mods, I don't know if anything could be done by them but it would at least make them aware.

scorrie
18-Aug-10, 22:06
But what do you do when you are mis sold goods on the org?

I've had a quick google and apparently the sale of goods act still stands, but how do you go about enforcing it? It's just £20, but the item does not do wot it says on the tin!

Would I have to go to the police to complain?

I don't think the sale of goods act applies in this situation.

The following is from The Highland Council website:-
------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Private sales

When you buy goods from a private individual, you don't have the same rights as when buying from a trader. The legal principle of caveat emptor, or 'buyer beware', operates. You have no rights to expect goods to be of a satisfactory quality or fit for their purpose, so you should check goods thoroughly before you buy them. However, the law does say that even private sellers shouldn't misrepresent goods to you. So if something has been misdescribed, you might have a claim. Seek further advice if necessary."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would say it would be hard to prove that there was misrepresentation and it could easily be argued that you should have made sure it DID do what it says on the tin, before parting with cash.

summer
18-Aug-10, 22:11
I would say it would be hard to prove that there was misrepresentation and it could easily be argued that you should have made sure it DID do what it says on the tin, before parting with cash.
I really wish I had. They were advertised as ds games, I was handed them in a bag, when I got home I went to hand them over, pulled them out the bag and they are actually gameboy games. Not as described at all.

octane
18-Aug-10, 22:15
Ive asked admin to setup a trader rating system on the org a few times. Theres a pluging for V-bulletin for allowing members to leave feedback on transactions. Pretty simple and basic setup and works well. Theres a lot of buying/selling on here so cant see why they wont implement it into the org.

Cant take anything for granted and alway check the item is what your expecting before handing over money to a stranger.

pegasus
18-Aug-10, 22:25
I might have just chalked it down to experience, or arranged a partial refund or something, but the person is being nasty about it which suggests to me she knew all along and is just scamming.

Why be nastY? :roll:

A little bit of comon decency isnt to much to expect is it?

If he/she knew all along?

Then I hope that you will be rembursed in full.

Kevin Milkins
18-Aug-10, 22:58
I have bought and sold a few items on the org and find it a very useful tool.

I have never had any cause to complain about any transaction and would hope that anything I have sold would have been considered satisfactory.

If I bought an item off the org from someone that was obviously setting out to deceive and where unpleasant about a refund, I would have no hesitation in naming that user so as to warn other potential buyers of an unsatisfactory person to deal with.

Leanne
18-Aug-10, 23:00
Was the item posted to you or did you collect in person?

EDDIE
18-Aug-10, 23:01
I really wish I had. They were advertised as ds games, I was handed them in a bag, when I got home I went to hand them over, pulled them out the bag and they are actually gameboy games. Not as described at all.

I take it your talking about laurad i just looked through your posts laurad seems to sell a bit of everything if i was you i would just put it down to a bad experience your eyes are your merchant you were to trusting and never looked in the bag before handing over your money.
As a suggestion i know its bad but you could always look on the threads started by laurad and put a warning message on everythread started by laurad and keep doing it and ruin that person chances of selling on here as well as warning other orgers of what might happen as long as your polite and honest with the warning then i cant see you breaking any rules on here?

sids
18-Aug-10, 23:12

I cannot believe you did not look at what you were buying.

Zero sympathy.

Metalattakk
19-Aug-10, 02:13
Flaming Torches: £5
Pitchforks: £10

Roll Up! Roll Up! Get 'em while they're hot!

mrlennie
19-Aug-10, 08:22
I'll have er... two pitchforks one flaming torch and one of those glow sticks please...oh and some candyfloss

ducati
19-Aug-10, 08:24
I'll have er... two pitchforks one flaming torch and one of those glow sticks please...oh and some candyfloss

Shortly to be completed. Renovated venue for villagers with torches to assemble-conveniently located in Portgower :eek:

dx100uk
19-Aug-10, 08:29
anyway, put those torches out...or come and do my wees with them you lot..

it is nowt to do with the org, it will be deemed a per><per transaction.

even the distancde selling rules do not apply .

dx

David B
19-Aug-10, 09:01
It may be little consolation, but my kids tell me that you can use Gameboy games in a DS.

If you got a load of them in a cheap deal then at least you can still use them.

Geo
19-Aug-10, 09:10
The Sale of Goods Act applies however in a limited capacity compared to buying from a business. The bit that applies is that the item/s have to be as described. However you would need to chase this up with the seller. The legal route to reclaim the money wouldn't be worth the effort. It is quite posible the seller simply made a mistake and assumed as the games play in a DS they must be DS games. He or she should refund you if they are not DS games though.

windness
19-Aug-10, 09:15
In a way, they were advertised correctly as they are ds games because they are compatible with the DS machine.

mrlennie
19-Aug-10, 09:18
I can see where your coming from but game boy games say "game boy" on them and ds games say "ds" can't get any clearer than that

Geo
19-Aug-10, 09:26
In a way, they were advertised correctly as they are ds games because they are compatible with the DS machine.

The DS was backwardly compatible with Gameboy games. DS games are not backwardly compatible with the Gameboy. If these are Gameboy games sold as DS games then they were not described properly. However again that could easily be a mistake.

summer
19-Aug-10, 10:08
Hard to explain why I didn't stop to check. In my head I was telling myself to! The chap who answered the door was a very 'in your face' type and I was immediately uncomfortable. The woman reached for my £20 as she held out the bag. I ran off with a glad to be out of there feeling. I almost paused in the car for a quick look but had a pit of my stomach 'im not safe here' 'being watched' kind of feeling. I drove off glancing in the mirror as if they were about to release the hounds on me!

It bugs me that someone scammed me out of £20 and then sent me a bunch of horrible pm's.

My console is a dsi, so only compatible with ds, not the older ones. But I think I've found someone who can use them so at least they don't need to go in the bin.

I think I might stick to ebay!

Invisible
19-Aug-10, 10:13
Hard to explain why I didn't stop to check. In my head I was telling myself to! The chap who answered the door was a very 'in your face' type and I was immediately uncomfortable. The woman reached for my £20 as she held out the bag. I ran off with a glad to be out of there feeling. I almost paused in the car for a quick look but had a pit of my stomach 'im not safe here' 'being watched' kind of feeling. I drove off glancing in the mirror as if they were about to release the hounds on me!

It bugs me that someone scammed me out of £20 and then sent me a bunch of horrible pm's.

My console is a dsi, so only compatible with ds, not the older ones. But I think I've found someone who can use them so at least they don't need to go in the bin.

I think I might stick to ebay!

do you not realise that the seller may just see what you have said about them

upolian
19-Aug-10, 10:24
If gameboy games work in a ds and were advertised for a ds,i dont see a problem?as long as they work?

summer
19-Aug-10, 10:35
They don't work. The slot is a different size.

Geo
19-Aug-10, 10:42
They were advertised as DS games, not Gameboy games that will work in a DS. There is a clear difference. DS games have much more modern looking graphics and better sound etc.

They won't work in a DSi though as it is not backwardly compatible with the Gameboy.

BRIE
19-Aug-10, 11:20
I dont know how many games you bought but they were obviously over priced too if their in fact gameboy games not DS games.[evil]

Leanne
19-Aug-10, 11:21
At the end of the day you could have said on the doorstep that they weren't suitable - you chose not to look. If you had received them in the post then fair enough but you had a chance to examine them before purchase. I'd chalk this one down to experience and move on...

telfordstar
19-Aug-10, 11:52
At the end of the day you could have said on the doorstep that they weren't suitable - you chose not to look. If you had received them in the post then fair enough but you had a chance to examine them before purchase. I'd chalk this one down to experience and move on...

Me personally If i was feeling uncomfortable as Summer was my feeling would be to just get away asap then check, I suppose it depends on you personality if your very confident you would stop and check but some folk are a little more timid than that and prefer not to.

summer
19-Aug-10, 13:04
Me personally If i was feeling uncomfortable as Summer was my feeling would be to just get away asap then check, I suppose it depends on you personality if your very confident you would stop and check but some folk are a little more timid than that and prefer not to.
Yeah that's me. I'm probably too likely to trust folk too.

I've gotten over it now though since I've found someone who can give it to their kids so don't see it as a waste anymore. Will move on now.

wicker8
19-Aug-10, 15:46
well i think that is not a very nice thing to do.i feel sory for you ,as for grabbing your money etc,sounds to me as if they knew what they were doing ,learn from it and dont buy another thing from them i know i never will :D

pegasus
19-Aug-10, 16:16

Not nice. :(

Pity folks didnt remember the ole adge

"Do as you would be done by."

Hoida
19-Aug-10, 16:48
Bought several items through the org and have always found the sellers helpful but my OH checks everything before parting with money.