PDA

View Full Version : does anyone speak gaelic?

Tugmistress
08-Jul-06, 22:23
not sure if it is scottish or irish but i would like to know what this means if possible if anyone can help please?

N-A-H OGAICHEAN

willowbankbear
08-Jul-06, 22:41
Cheekychops speaks it but I dont know if she still comes on here? She`s fae Harris & Sings when she talks English, its really somethingthat ye go eh? then compose yourself & have another listen as its melodical:D

canuck
09-Jul-06, 03:28
not sure if it is scottish or irish but i would like to know what this means if possible if anyone can help please?

N-A-H OGAICHEAN

Weeboyagee and errogie are both fluent in gaelic. They might be able to help you.

Blazing Sporrans
09-Jul-06, 05:45

N-A-H OGAICHEAN

I know a little but I don't recognise this phrase - nearest I can think of is 'Na h-oganaich' which would be 'the youth' or something similar in Scots Gaelic. I think there used to be a band called that... Where does it come from Tugmistress?

Tugmistress
09-Jul-06, 09:28
it's actually the name on a wee boat, it has been suggested to me the single letters may be abbreviations.

norscot
09-Jul-06, 10:39
Na h-Oganaich is pronounced "na hawkanich" and means The Young Blood.

Kingetter
09-Jul-06, 11:21

Do you have the gaelic or did you use a dictionary? I ask because I've been poring through the 'net' for something like an online translation service - I haven't found it (yet?). I'm doing family Research wich involves Lewis and there I run into Gaelic.
James.

Tugmistress
09-Jul-06, 15:33

Thank you norscot muchly appreciated :D

Blazing Sporrans
09-Jul-06, 17:52
Do you have the gaelic or did you use a dictionary? I ask because I've been poring through the 'net' for something like an online translation service - I haven't found it (yet?). I'm doing family Research wich involves Lewis and there I run into Gaelic.
James.

Kingetter, try http://www.clanmacrae.org/documents/gaelic.htm for some limited assistance.

Kingetter
09-Jul-06, 18:55
Kingetter, try http://www.clanmacrae.org/documents/gaelic.htm for some limited assistance.
many thanks.

rollerboy
09-Jul-06, 20:55
look it up on the net?