PDA

View Full Version : Caithness General mentioned in Dispatches, well done to all

Rheghead
18-Aug-10, 10:13
http://www.scotland.gov.uk/News/Releases/2010/08/16110517

Alice in Blunderland
18-Aug-10, 12:01
Al praise goes to the hard working staff on the floor. :D Keep up the good work.

pegasus
18-Aug-10, 15:05
Its so important to reduce infection rates in hospirals.

An achievment to be proud of.

Good teamwork! :)

Puzzled
18-Aug-10, 15:21
Pity they weren't inspecting on the 5th July - might have spotted the doctor in A&E with the frayed trouser legs dragging along the ground!!

Alice in Blunderland
18-Aug-10, 17:09
Pity they weren't inspecting on the 5th July - might have spotted the doctor in A&E with the frayed trouser legs dragging along the ground!!

I cant see how this would affect infection rates as he would also have been wearing the same shoes he was wearing outside :confused

I would rather be seen by a doctor with frayed trouser legs than unwashed hands. :D

LoneSomeDove
18-Aug-10, 18:11
Thats great news, but it seems that not all was up to standard.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-10984958

Puzzled
19-Aug-10, 21:37
I cant see how this would affect infection rates as he would also have been wearing the same shoes he was wearing outside :confused

I would rather be seen by a doctor with frayed trouser legs than unwashed hands. :D

Should he not have changed his shoes - nurses seem to - also many doctors!

poppett
19-Aug-10, 22:21
In the "olden days" when the Inverness Royal Northern Infirmary was a proper hospital with operating theatres etc., staff had to report in mufti to the staff changing rooms and put on uniform and hospital shoes before going to their wards for duty.

I could see the sense in this, not taking in outside germs............but we had to walk outside over the quadrangle to get into the main hospital building!

To this day I hate to see staff going into work wearing their uniforms. More worrying is what they carry home with them after their shift.

I have always found CG to be clean and staff should be proud of their achievement and carry on the good works.

Alice in Blunderland
19-Aug-10, 23:00
Should he not have changed his shoes - nurses seem to - also many doctors!

NO many do not change their shoes when going onto the wards ! :)

Visitors and out patients are not asked to change their shoes either.

Puzzled
19-Aug-10, 23:24
NO many do not change their shoes when going onto the wards ! :)

Visitors and out patients are not asked to change their shoes either.

Maybe something that should be looked at. Some doctors were following the code others not - usually the more senior that were not!!!!!!

Alice in Blunderland
19-Aug-10, 23:44
Maybe something that should be looked at. Some doctors were following the code others not - usually the more senior that were not!!!!!!

There is no code for the doctors regarding feet that I am aware off.

Short sleeve shirts, no ties, no watches, no rings, However trousers and shoes even if they are outdoor are fine.

Puzzled
20-Aug-10, 10:52
There is no code for the doctors regarding feet that I am aware off.

Short sleeve shirts, no ties, no watches, no rings, However trousers and shoes even if they are outdoor are fine.

interesting - but why not?:~(http://forum.caithness.org/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

Alice in Blunderland
20-Aug-10, 11:31
interesting - but why not?:~(http://forum.caithness.org/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif

a scenario to help with why not. :)

You get the doctor or consultant or any member of staff to change their shoes for walking onto the wards to help with infection control what about visitors?

Mr Bs wife has just popped into visit him having just walked across lets say Bignold park. Trod in some dogs dirt or come into contact with dogs dirt and rubbed her feet clean. Onto the ward she goes where the doctor or nurse is wearing nice clean shoes and they walk up the corridor behind her.:eek:

Not nice clean shoes any more as germs from her shoes are now on their shoes.

Mr B has a relapse, cardiac arrest, doctors are bleeped to attend urgently from the outpatient clinic downstairs. Oh hold on must change my shoes first as they are not nice and clean.

The biggest help with infection control is plain and simple, good old soap and water and good hygiene. IMHO

Lavenderblue2
20-Aug-10, 11:45
In the "olden days" when the Inverness Royal Northern Infirmary was a proper hospital with operating theatres etc., staff had to report in mufti to the staff changing rooms and put on uniform and hospital shoes before going to their wards for duty.

To this day I hate to see staff going into work wearing their uniforms. More worrying is what they carry home with them after their shift.

I agree with these points Poppett, it was the same strict regime when my daughter nursed in ARI. You'd think these rules would apply even more in these days of infection awareness.
I apologise for bringing another hospital into this but ....
In March this year I spent two weeks in Inv visiting a seriously ill close relative in Raigmore, two to three times a day. The weather was foul, outside the carpark and the road edges were inches deep in litter, filth and muck, so bad that we couldn't avoid treading in it , all this gets trodden into the hospital!!
Whilst in the ward on several occasions when a nurse would be doing an obs round I saw the BP cuff fall to the floor and be dragged along to the next patient :eek: I thought in horror of the filth trodden in from outside on visitors and probably Drs & nurses feet - and we are supposed to and did very willingly gell our hands...:confused
IMHO a return to strict hygeine rules and restrictions regarding what comes in from outside is desperately needed in all hospitals.