PDA

View Full Version : mother in laws

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 19:52
I reckon i have the best mother in law anyone could ask for, she's funny, helpfull, kind and nothing is to much trouble, i just couldnt ask for better.
maybe its a touchy subject but i just wondered what everyone else thinks of their mother in law;)

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:07
I reckon i have the best mother in law anyone could ask for, she's funny, helpfull, kind and nothing is to much trouble, i just couldnt ask for better.
maybe its a touchy subject but i just wondered what everyone else thinks of their mother in law;)

And you are just about to ask her for what?????

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 20:12
And you are just about to ask her for what?????

nothing kingetter..... she just deserve's some praise for being the best mother in law a girl could ask for, mothers in law are often the butt of jokes, its not very often they get the praise they deserve, well mine's deserve's praise anyway :D

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:21
I believe you but I'd not like to count the number of others who see your posting and think what I suggested.
I'm happy for you.

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 20:26
I believe you but I'd not like to count the number of others who see your posting and think what I suggested.
I'm happy for you.
that is so sad that mother in laws are thought so little of:~(
believe me i know i am really lucky lol:lol:

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:27
Isn't there a plant named after them?

connieb19
08-Jul-06, 20:28
Isn't there a plant named after them?Poison Ivy?:evil

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 20:29
yes mother in laws tounge....... think mr billy boy would agree thats a bit like my mam:lol: :lol:

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:31
Poison Ivy?:evil

Miaowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!!!

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:31
yes mother in laws tounge....... think mr billy boy would agree thats a bit like my mam:lol: :lol:
Is it a nice plant?

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 20:33
yeah its a nice plant and no it canna talk back :lol: :lol:

The Angel Of Death
08-Jul-06, 20:34
Dont you mean Monster in laws ???

Mine has me to put up with so sometimes i think she deserves a medal but then she "breaks" the pc and i have to spend a few hours fixing it but it was never her though must have been the internet monkeys that live inside the computer !!!

So i dare say that makes us even

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:38
I'd call that a draw.

trinkie
08-Jul-06, 20:41
I dont think they are the butt of jokes so much now, as the young folk rely on them too much to look after their children.

The Angel Of Death
08-Jul-06, 20:43
Dare say so atleast untill she comes up with a new way to "test" my computer fixing skills !!!

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:44
I dont think they are the butt of jokes so much now, as the young folk rely on them too much to look after their children.

Good point!

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:44
Dare say so atleast untill she comes up with a new way to "test" my computer fixing skills !!!

Inventive is she then?

The Angel Of Death
08-Jul-06, 20:46
More "destructive" i say !!!

Big Jean
08-Jul-06, 21:19
I hope you tell your Mother-in-law how you feel Mrs. Billy Bob . She will thank you for hearing what you have to say . My Mother-in-law also was a wonderful lady, kind, thoughtful, and loving, and I only wish she were still here today. Unfortunately she is not and I do miss her terribly and although it has been a number of years now since she passed, I wish I could turn the clock back even if just for a few hours to be able to talk to her in person and see her smile . I have to say, the same goes for my own Mother as she was very much the same . Perhaps we were just lucky, who knows . Now I have made myself feel quite sad with my thoughts, so, time to log off !

Big Jean
08-Jul-06, 21:21
Yes, I am sorry , I know it is Mrs. Billy Boy !!!! Fingers slipped !!!!!

mccaugm
08-Jul-06, 21:21
My mother-in-law is just fine, she doesn't interfere, loves it when we arrive with the kids and does not treat my elder kids (from a previous relationship) any differently to my youngest child. For this I give her great respect. My kids adore her...but to them she is just "Granny".

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 21:24
Yes, I am sorry , I know it is Mrs. Billy Boy !!!! Fingers slipped !!!!!
hey thats ok lol, mr bb has called me a lot worse [lol] [lol]

squidge
08-Jul-06, 21:24
I had a wonderful Mother In Law too. An amazing lady with a wit as sharp as her tongue could be but with a wonderful sense of humour and a huge capacity for love. The first time i met her she said " Hello I'm Mum" and mum she always was. She died fifteen years ago and i still miss her

Always wore a pinny, always time for a cuppa and a chat, never one to mince her words. When the jehovas witnesses came knocking at her door she happily invited them in for a cup of tea - listened to what they said and then told them that "its all very interesting but I couldnt do without Christmas"

She was the only person i ever met who was completely at ease with death. I Although she grieved like anyone else she wasnt afraid of it or embarrassed by it. My late sister in laws friend lost her eight year old in an accident and my MIL was invited to the funeral - she used to babysit the wee boy. At the point that the grieving mum was due to leave for the church she picked the childs body up out of the coffin and wouldnt put him down. No one knew what to do and the mother was distraught. It was my mother in law that went to her and said "give him to his aunty sally - I looked after him so many times and he was always safe - ill look after him now - give him to me". She was able to take the child's body from his mum and held him til they were able to get her to the car and then she returned him to the coffin. I ll never forget that story and I'll never forget her.

Here's to you Sally!

willowbankbear
08-Jul-06, 21:25
Mine is a diamond looking after wee bear when Im working & his mam is too, she cant get here quick enough either.

mccaugm
08-Jul-06, 21:29
She was the only person i ever met who was completely at ease with death. I Although she grieved like anyone else she wasnt afraid of it or embarrassed by it. My late sister in laws friend lost her eight year old in an accident and my MIL was invited to the funeral - she used to babysit the wee boy. At the point that the grieving mum was due to leave for the church she picked the childs body up out of the coffin and wouldnt put him down. No one knew what to do and the mother was distraught. It was my mother in law that went to her and said "give him to his aunty sally - I looked after him so many times and he was always safe - ill look after him now - give him to me". She was able to take the child's body from his mum and held him til they were able to get her to the car and then she returned him to the coffin. I ll never forget that story and I'll never forget her.

What an amazing woman she must of been....that little anecdote was beautiful.

katarina
08-Jul-06, 21:35
Well, I'm a mother-in-law and I'm just great!

JimH
08-Jul-06, 21:44
Mine is in the best place - pushing up daisies.

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 21:49
Mine is in the best place - pushing up daisies.

lol, i take it she gave you a hard time when she was standing on the daisy's[lol]

canuck
09-Jul-06, 03:37
Well, I'm a mother-in-law and I'm just great!

Yes, katarina, I think you would be just great.

Sporran
09-Jul-06, 05:52
I consider myself lucky that I have a mother-in-law whom I get on well with, and we have developed a genuine affection for each other over the years. I admit it took me a while to get used to her, and at times she's driven my husband and I both batty. But we have a definite camaraderie, and have shared many a laugh together. I have come to admire her in many ways.

Sadly, she suffered a massive stroke 2 weeks ago, and although the prognosis now is better than it was at the beginning, the doctors are still not exactly sure how well she will recuperate. All we can do is hope and pray.

I expect to be a mother-in-law twice over, sometime in the future. I hope that my daughters-in-law will be as fond of me, as I am of mine!

orkneylass
09-Jul-06, 08:46
I have 2 sons, aged 21 and 13, and I sometimes wonder what sort of mother in law I will be when the time comes. It is probably harder than it looks when it comes down to it. What do folk think is the recipe for success?

Kingetter
09-Jul-06, 08:55
I have 2 sons, aged 21 and 13, and I sometimes wonder what sort of mother in law I will be when the time comes. It is probably harder than it looks when it comes down to it. What do folk think is the recipe for success?

Just be yourself, always.
If you like & respect yourself, why won't others like & respect you?

rockchick
09-Jul-06, 09:12
I never got to meet my mother-in-law from Husband #2, as she died some years before I met her son. However, I still keep in touch with my in-laws from my previous marriage (the "out-laws"!) and my MOL's brilliant. We just agree not to talk about my ex, and we get along fine.

Course, I've got the grand-kids, so that may have something to do with it...!

katarina
09-Jul-06, 10:31
Yes, katarina, I think you would be just great.

My present lot would agree - doubt very much if my ex-son-in-law would tho!

gleeber
09-Jul-06, 11:24
Mother-in-laws are as old as man himself and in some cases as old as the hills. Primitive tribes still have customs and taboos prohibiting any sort of contact between son-in-laws ans mother-in-laws. In some tribes the punishment for breaking this taboo can be death.
In extreme cases the son-in-law may have to take the mother-in-law into the family mud hut, for life.:eek:

canuck
09-Jul-06, 14:11
Mother-in-laws are as old as man himself and in some cases as old as the hills. Primitive tribes still have customs and taboos prohibiting any sort of contact between son-in-laws ans mother-in-laws. In some tribes the punishment for breaking this taboo can be death.
In extreme cases the son-in-law may have to take the mother-in-law into the family mud hut, for life.:eek:

Gleeber, I think that you made that up just to scare orkneylass and myself as we make our way toward the inevitable day of becoming "mothers-in-law". Given the negative attitude in society to this matronly role one would wonder why, as young women, we would have children in the first place knowing that we might eventually become one of the "scorned". Maybe if we are good mothers we will evolve into being great mothers-in-law.

mccaugm
09-Jul-06, 14:39
What about Father-In-Laws? Mine is just grand, I am sure Katarina would profess to that. ;)

katarina
09-Jul-06, 16:25
What about Father-In-Laws? Mine is just grand, I am sure Katarina would profess to that. ;)

I'm saying nothing!

JimH
09-Jul-06, 18:16
lol, i take it she gave you a hard time when she was standing on the daisy's[lol]
No - I would'nt let her - and that was the biggest problem.

obiron
09-Jul-06, 18:58
my mother in law is a lovely lady. wish the same could be said for my mother. then again that could be because shes not speaking to me the now.

gleeber
09-Jul-06, 19:46
Gleeber, I think that you made that up just to scare orkneylass and myself as we make our way toward the inevitable day of becoming "mothers-in-law". Given the negative attitude in society to this matronly role one would wonder why, as young women, we would have children in the first place knowing that we might eventually become one of the "scorned". Maybe if we are good mothers we will evolve into being great mothers-in-law.

I may have made up some of it but some of it is also true. I'm sure yourself and Orkneylass will make wonderful mothers-in-law, but I imagine it's a different role than being a mother. :D
The bit about primitive tribes is true. Over 100 years ago social anthropoligists were trying to track the beginnings of the taboo between mothers and son-in-laws. Some of it makes interesting reading, and from my own experience of mothers-in-law, much of it rings loud bells. Mind you, some of it is less than credible, although one of Freuds most controversial books, suggests most of the bad feeling between mothers their childrens partners, happen out of awareness and involves all sorts of unconscious feelings and emotions. Even if a small part of what he was saying was credible, mothers-in-law have the potential to be a burden in the most closest of relationships whether they know it or not lol.;)
Mind you it takes 2 to tango, and theres probably more goes on in most relationships, than meets the eye.