PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have wooden worktops?

kas
08-Jul-06, 16:38
Hi there

Just wondering if anyone has real wood worktops?
If so how easy are they to keep?

One kitchen company recommended them, but another said they need to be maintained and can go black around the sink. I had planned to go for wood look laminate, but due to having some curved units in the design this isnt possible unless I have a strip put on the curved edges, and I dont think this will look right.

One last question, how easy are they to keep next to the hob, is it easy to clean oil and other foodstuffs that may have splashed whilst cooking?

Thanks Kas:D

mccaugm
08-Jul-06, 16:43
Had some in the last house I lived in. They are not too difficult to keep but you must oil them every 6 months or so. They can mark a bit but the oil should sort that out. They look amazing and would recommend them. They can be expensive but not sure where you could purchase them. Recommend EBay or a good look online for suppliers.
Hope this helps.

kas
08-Jul-06, 16:46
Cheers for that.;)

marlyn
08-Jul-06, 19:18
we inherited wooden worktops last year when we moved house. The lady who had the house before us looked after them and oiled them regularly and they looked fine when we moved in, a little black around the sink. I haven't oiled them at all and have been in for almost a year now, they still look ok but are definitely blacker around the sink edges, I am not very good at doing things like oiling, purely because I just never seem to have the time, (i have young kids).

I would say that they would be really good if you are quite careful and are prepared to look after them, they do look good. If you are like me though and housework is not your favourite past time I wouldn't bother, I certainly would not buy them for myself.

pat
08-Jul-06, 21:05
Wooden worktops are great - any damage you can sand out and reapply oil, wood takes hot pans, tins straight from oven, no problem, no burning - just do not cut anything on it, use a chopping board at all times. Have had them in last two houses with no problems at all (except where I spilt super glue then had to rub down and reapply oil).

marlyn
09-Jul-06, 07:40
what kind of oil do you use? maybe I should give it a try!

MR J
09-Jul-06, 07:51
Here is a link that may help

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/treat_wtops.htm

kas
09-Jul-06, 09:36
Thankyou everyone, your comments and the link have been very helpful.:)

Cheers
Kas