PDA

View Full Version : What Purpose

Kevin Milkins
16-Aug-10, 17:09
These wooden structures are along side the railway line up the Strath Halladale.
My guess would be to help stop the snow drifting on to the railway line, but Mr's M disagrees.

Has anyone the correct reason for them?

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm196/kevinmilkins/IMG_0197.jpg?t=1281974635

Scunner
16-Aug-10, 17:11
You are right - snow barriers but most of the parts are missing now

Kevin Milkins
16-Aug-10, 17:14
You are right - snow barriers

Thank you Scunner, common sense prevails again.:lol:

Mr's M as trying to persuade me they were some type of deterrent to stop the deer getting onto the railway line.:confused

Hoida
16-Aug-10, 18:19
Have a picture somewhere of the snow at Forsinard will look it out and let you see just how deep it was in the 40's/50's[lol]

billmoseley
16-Aug-10, 18:46
thats answersd a question i have wondered about for ages. thank you

Iffy
16-Aug-10, 18:59
This thread brings to mind something very similiar on the A9/99 stretch...
when, heading South on the right-hand side, there are "staggered" wooden fence post in every field around the area just South of Mid Clyth?

This does not apply to just a "single" area; but many fields have the same "staggered" posts..... Just wondering why?

Rheghead
16-Aug-10, 19:22
Dilapidated snow barriers, another consequence of Climate Change.

Sara Jevo
16-Aug-10, 21:20
This thread brings to mind something very similiar on the A9/99 stretch...
when, heading South on the right-hand side, there are "staggered" wooden fence post in every field around the area just South of Mid Clyth?

This does not apply to just a "single" area; but many fields have the same "staggered" posts..... Just wondering why?

If they are in the fields, probably barriers to reduce snow drifting on the road. The sticks beside the road are markers for the snow plough drivers so they know where the road below is.