PDA

View Full Version : Chipped and dangerous

Royster1911
08-Jul-06, 13:54
Hey guys, be carefull out there. They have tarred and chipped Castletown Road, just outside the school. Dont know how far they tarred but the road is DANGEROUS. Stone chips flying all over the place. Council workers involved so I expect it is a cheapy. Why this road? Why not Olrig Street which is crying out for a make over?

2little2late
08-Jul-06, 14:18
Hey guys, be carefull out there. They have tarred and chipped Castletown Road, just outside the school. Dont know how far they tarred but the road is DANGEROUS. Stone chips flying all over the place. Council workers involved so I expect it is a cheapy. Why this road? Why not Olrig Street which is crying out for a make over?

Did you notice the 20 mph signs? The whole reason for the low speed limit is to warn drivers of loose chippings which are a safety hazard when driving. So if one were to drive at 20mph then there is less chance of skidding. Stone chips will only FLY ABOUT all over the place if a driver is driving too fast. The loose chippings will also be cleared up after a short time.

Ricco
08-Jul-06, 14:56
Did you know the other reason for the 20mph zone? Apparently, at that speed you don't lift the stones out of the tar but do press them down more firmly producing a better surface.

2little2late
08-Jul-06, 14:58
Did you know the other reason for the 20mph zone? Apparently, at that speed you don't lift the stones out of the tar but do press them down more firmly producing a better surface.

Well, you learn something everyday.

pink
08-Jul-06, 15:39
They have been busy today then Royal tce was also chipped !!

All that overtime for chipping roads on a saturday that dinna need done and they cant cut the grass !!!!

Royster1911
08-Jul-06, 16:31
Did you notice the 20 mph signs? The whole reason for the low speed limit is to warn drivers of loose chippings which are a safety hazard when driving. So if one were to drive at 20mph then there is less chance of skidding. Stone chips will only FLY ABOUT all over the place if a driver is driving too fast. The loose chippings will also be cleared up after a short time.

So when have the public ever paid ANY attention to the speed limit on Castletown Road. I know, not everyone ignores the speed limit but the ones who do are the ones causing the problems. A Taxi tried to overtake me in Royal Terrace until I promplly placed my car in the middle of the road to hinder him. He was peeved off i can tell you:D

Blazing Sporrans
08-Jul-06, 17:02

Maybe it's a council tactic to take out the boy racers!!! [lol]
Now THAT would get my vote any day of the week.

Royster1911
08-Jul-06, 18:17
Maybe it's a council tactic to take out the boy racers!!! [lol]
Now THAT would get my vote any day of the week.

I will be out putting the chips down myself daily if i thought it would work. Its now 1825hrs and at least 3 cars traveled along the road well in excess of the 30 mph limit in the last 5 mins
[disgust]

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 18:26
i think the money and time would be better spent repairing the road outside the new retail park at wick the road is a disgrace, [disgust]

buggyracer
08-Jul-06, 20:04
well my car window can testify that the stone chips are in fact loose!! big crack all the way along the bottom of it!!

Billy Boy
08-Jul-06, 20:38
well my car window can testify that the stone chips are in fact loose!! big crack all the way along the bottom of it!!

i got 3 small chips in my car window all caused by others driving past to fast :~(

JAWS
08-Jul-06, 22:49
Whatever speed you drive at the chippings will still get into the tread on your tyres.
At some stage they will become loose and can still cause damage to other vehicles.

Leaving the chippings loose is just to save the cost of using a roller on them. The theory is that most people will not claim for any damage caused and it is cheaper to pay out for those that do than to pay the extra cost of doing the resurfacing properly in the first place.

As for those who would proudly point to the fact that there are signs and a 20MPH speed limit which you must be ignoring in order to damage your car there is only one problem.
You could drive at 5MPH over the chippings but that will not stop other vehicles showering you with stones no matter how careful you are.

Far more chippings than are necessary are put down because many will get scattered or pushed to the side of the road. Certain parts of the road will not have as much use as other parts and chippings will again collect there.
Even when the road has been swept of the excess chippings there will still be many left lying around to fly up and cause damage.

But who cares? The mugs will keep paying for their own damaged vehicles so why should things be done differently?