PDA

View Full Version : Living in Spittal

macgee
16-Aug-10, 10:19
I am looking for some advice. I am think of moving to Spittal with my hubby and 2 young children. I know there isn't really anything there but do people think it is an ok place to live? It would probably only be for the next couple of years :)

chef4celebrations
16-Aug-10, 13:49
as far as spittal goes i find it lovely and peaceful, the folks here are nice, friendly and polite, over all a great place for me, my wife and 3 kids.

Cattach
16-Aug-10, 15:47
as far as spittal goes i find it lovely and peaceful, the folks here are nice, friendly and polite, over all a great place for me, my wife and 3 kids.

Have to agree with most of this though it must be the ugliest place on earth - no I forget there is Castletown too. The disused quarries are probably to blame.

Dreamweaver
16-Aug-10, 16:08
Spittal is a very nice place to live - the traffic can be a pain in the backside because most people ignore the 50 mph signs :roll:. There are far uglier places to live and btw I don't think the quarry is disused. Its close enough to Halkirk for bits and pieces and close enough to both Thurso and Wick for work.

missmillie
16-Aug-10, 17:42
Its a lovely quiet place to live, The only thing I would say is it seems to be one of the worst places in the winter! It just seems to get so icy and the roads are terrible compared to most other places I've lived up here but then Im a chicken driving in the winter so it could just be me :roll:

teddybear1873
16-Aug-10, 20:37
If all the places to live with 2 children, I wouldn't pick Spittal. Not that I don't like Spittal, but that road would scare the sheet out of me with 2 bairns.

macgee
16-Aug-10, 20:58
Thanks for all your replies, they will help me make a difficult decision. The road is certainly one of the things that puts me off as the house is very close to it :(

Bill Fernie
16-Aug-10, 21:28
Remember to check out exactly what travel arrangements you need for transport to schools if your children are school age. If younger where are nursery playgroups etc.

Also most of your main facilities are in Thurso or Wick so you will need to travel back and forward quite a bit and with fuel prices set to rise significantly this year you may need to think about that as our petrol costs are already higher than big cities.

sweetpea
16-Aug-10, 22:33
Have to agree about the amount of journey's into town esp when your just a few miles outside a place, I got into the habit of 'just nipping' to town all the time and it adds up on petrol. The bus links are dire from Spittal as well and like Bill Fernie says childcare willl be in town.

Scunner
16-Aug-10, 22:40
There is a petrol station in Spittal - school buses run to the primary school in Halkirk and to the High School in Thurso - playgroup and mother and toddler group in Halkirk - childminding also in Halkirk

macgee
17-Aug-10, 09:21
Thanks again everyone, we live outside of town just now so it will only be a little extra in mileage. Little ones will still be at home with me for a while yet but I guess its something to think about for the future incase we do stay for a few years. :)