PDA

View Full Version : puppy help please

kjandcrew
14-Aug-10, 19:44
I have acquired a puppy and he is lovely, puppy training is going reasonably well without puppy pad things (he chews them up lol). Im setting my alarm to get up in the middle of the night to let him out but still getting accidents - can anyone offer any advice please. The second thing is i have two house cats (they all get on well) but the puppy keeps going to their food (they have a different bowl in a different place, etc) i do move the puppy onto his food when i catch him but sometimes i dont which i find worrying - again any helpful hints or advice would be much appreciated.;)

aurora32
14-Aug-10, 21:04
After your cats have eaten could you lift their food up off the floor so your pup cant get to it but the cats could if they wanted to. How about using a crate overnight so accidents are not all over your floor, bed at the back of the cage paper at the front and put in a toy to distract him/her from chewing up the paper, outside to the toilet last thing and puppy should soon get into the hang of it and learn. :)

kjandcrew
14-Aug-10, 22:08
thank you - im a bit anti crates but understand the sense in them and will have a good think. I will move the cats food to a higher place i am stupid not to have thought of that :roll: as the puppy cant jump like the cats what an idiot i am lol;) thank you

teenybash
14-Aug-10, 22:19
You know your puppy sounds quite normal in having a wee pee here and a tiny ploop over there.........and wait a sec that cat food smells scrummy so, I'll have me a bit of that thank you very much:lol:
Aurora has advised you well....keep smiling and enjoy your puppy friend.....a pic of the culprit???????:)

aurora32
14-Aug-10, 23:07
thank you - im a bit anti crates but understand the sense in them and will have a good think. I will move the cats food to a higher place i am stupid not to have thought of that :roll: as the puppy cant jump like the cats what an idiot i am lol;) thank you

Your Not an idiot at all a fresh concept from an outsider is all you need sometimes. As Teeny says it all very natural and part of the course you sound to be doing the right things and pup will train out of it come time. :)

Liz
14-Aug-10, 23:25
Very good advice from aurora 32:D

My dog is 8 years old and I still feed the cats on a surface which he can't reach as he always tries to steal their food.

You say you are 'anti crate' but I can assure you that, used correctly, they are wonderful.
Don't think of them as some kind of 'prison' but as a nice wee den for your puppy where it will feel safe and will, as aurora32 said, cut down on the little toileting accidents.

Make the crate a lovely comfy place where your puppy will want to go.

My dog Benjy has been using his since a puppy and he absolutely loves it. In fact he runs to go in it for morning and afternoon naps and then again at bed time.
He has a lovely Tuffies mattress which is soooooo comfy and waterproof.
It is good to know that when we have to leave him at home he is safe.

Every time your puppy eats take him outside and encourage him to do his toilet and make it fun by saying something like 'do poo poos' or 'pee pees'.:lol: The give him such great praise when he does.
As Teenybash says a few accidents in the house is natural and will disappear as he gets older.

Good luck and enjoy your wonderful companion. He sounds lovely and, yes, please give us photos!!!!

unicorn
15-Aug-10, 10:13
I have always had dogs and never started using a crate until earlier on this year when I took on an older dog who was used to the crate. My pup was a year old but still having occasional accidents in the night, once we got the crate she took to it beautifully, no stress and the accidents stopped.
They both use the crate and the difference in the pups behaviour was amazing. It is their space where they go to relax. I would not be without a crate now.

kitty
15-Aug-10, 11:15
I never used to like the idea of crates either but got one with the first puppy i got after having my son because it made my life a bit easier and gave the puppy a place he could go and have some quiet time. The older dog doesn't need the crate any longer but my other dog loves it and quite happily runs to it whenever she knows i'm heading out. She's quite a nervous dog and i think she likes the security it gives her.

I think it also definately helps with the toilet training as well as they don't like to do the toilet where they are sleeping :)

Liz
15-Aug-10, 13:07
The two best things I got for Benjy was a crate to sleep in and Kongs to eat from!:lol:

Dadie
15-Aug-10, 13:09
Feed cats up high.
Last food for puppy before 7pm then lift the food bowl, then out for the toilet.
Just before you go to bed puppy out for the toilet.
Then pour out the water and just leave a wee drop in the bowl and if need be add a block of ice as the ice melts slowly he can still get water if he wants but wont be able to gulp down lots.
Limit where he can wander if you dont like crates..so he knows its sleep time and not play time.
ie Just the utility room or a section in the kitchen etc...
I dont have a crate for my dog but the area between the wall and the freezer where her bed is in the utility room is her sanctuary!

Leanne
15-Aug-10, 13:36
All good advice. I would also add don't tell them off for going inside unless you actually catch them in the process - it will make them hide where they go. Cleaning up - use boilogical washing powder instead of floor cleaner/bleach. Floor cleaner can have ammonia in which will actually encourage them to pee inside.

The biggest thing that works is getting them to learn pee-pee and poo-poo (we use 'puppy go' and 'puppy go again' for poo). You will find that when you put them out all they will do is want to play and will often 'forget' to go, then pee the second you let them in. Using a comand to go means they learn it isn't play time ;) It's good as well for if you're in a rush, or want them to go before you go out, or make a stop in a car journey.

Puppies can be such hard work but equally as much fun. Stick with the training - its lovely when you can take the pup out and people comment on how well behaved they are :)

I've just got two pups myself. I live in Watten if you want to bring yours around for a play :) We've got dog secure land so it's great for teaching recall.

Enjoy while they're small - it doesn't last long.

An lastly - we need pics!

Edit - as for the cat food thing - it will be pretty difficult to stop that. My cats now get fed and then the food taken up because otherwise the dogs get extra food.

kjandcrew
15-Aug-10, 21:05
Thank you all so very much for your advice.

Im happy to say that there have been no accidents all day which is fab, but i did wake up to unpleasant things this morning even after taking food away about 6pm and taking pup out at 10pm 12pm and 3pm - it doesnt seem to happen when i am around???? Im going to persevere for another two nights and then if it still happens get a crate - do you think this would happen if pup wasnt in the kitchen and slept with me or somewhere else in the house ??? I was nervous as i didnt want accidents everywhere !!!

The cat problem totally solved - still cant believe i didnt think of it :roll:[lol] all is purrrfect with them and pup now - im absolutely delighted with them.

I will ask my son for help with pics and post them tomorrow hopefully;)

Thank you all again you have been invaluable

I forgot to say that my puppy is a female and not a male as indicated in my first post - my cats are males and i was thinking about them as much as the new puppy - does anyone think that that might make a difference although they really all are getting on brilliantly - no hissing or spraying from the cats and no problems with the puppy towards the cats!!!

Cagney
15-Aug-10, 22:43
For what it is worth I have dogs and a male cat and they all get along fine. They soon sort out who's boss amongst themselves.
When I have toilet trained mine from puppies I have had newspaper by the back door. When they woke I would take them to it and tell them what to do and wait with them until they performed. At night time they then went to the newspaper and no where else. Yes I had the odd accident but on the whole it worked. The newspaper evntually moved out side to an area I wanted to be used and eventually taken away.
Also when the puppy goes outside go with it and give plenty of praise when it performs. Oh! how I remember the getting up in the wee hours!!
I don't like crates personally and have never found a use for them. A nice dog bed under a kitchen table is as a den. Crates are a new phenomenon and a personnal choice. But having known a dog who was imprisoned in one they are not for me. The old fashion way works just as well and is a lot cheaper!!

Liz
15-Aug-10, 22:52
Cagney we all said that crates are great if used properly and that does not mean as a prison.

They can provide a nice cosy den/sanctuary which the puppy/dog can enjoy. Benjy just loves his!:D

Liz
15-Aug-10, 22:59
Welcome to the Org and Pets Corner by the way.:D

Looking forward to hearing more about your pets and can we have some pics please?

kjandcrew
16-Aug-10, 12:25
You have all given me some very sound advice - im very grateful and will put some pics up later. Kaz is fab with the cats Paws and Claws and have no bothere there - didnt have any accidents last night but we went for a walk and she did a pee but we got in and she promptly did a number two:roll: i quickly took her back outside but obviously too late as she didnt want to go lol - praises galore to her when she goes outside. Ill keep at it she is so adoreable and so brilliant with the cats im just delighted;)

Dadie
16-Aug-10, 12:39
Lol sounds like the trouble im having with Iona...im at potty training...
Fine as long as she has a bare bum but put a nappy/pants/pullup on her and she promptly fills it:lol:
Want to swap?:)

better put im only joking as there is some who wont get it!

kjandcrew
16-Aug-10, 18:12
he he he thats funny;) and right now id say yes as shes seems to have forgotten what to do this afteroon :roll:

jockyplunck
16-Aug-10, 22:03
hi i have riased 3 puppies with very few puddle on the foor at night time. i put a bell on the puppies collar and when he or she gets up and moves around at night time i hear them, and get up and put them out. of c ourse this only works if you are a lite sleeper. any accidents i have had is because i have been so tired that i zonked out trust me it is hard getting out of bed 2 or 3 times anight and going to work the next morning but it is worth it to get up to a clean floor. i forgot to mention the puppies sleep in my room at night but once they are house trained they can sleep any where you want them to.

Dadie
16-Aug-10, 22:22
Forgot to say if you use a steam cleaner on the floor (I do) put in a few drops of lavender or teatree oil in it.
Makes the areas smell nice and fresh and contains antibacterial and antifungal properties!
Useful for puddles on the carpets....dog/toddler ... I know which is easier to train and its not the toddler:lol:

demac-artist
16-Aug-10, 23:00
I have the same problem with my dog I can take him for a 2 hour walk and he only pees but will only poo in the gardan - thinks it territory. Even after a long walk I still put him out back for half an hour to let him cool off and do his business and he is three now. Some dogs are weird :)

Deanne

kjandcrew
17-Aug-10, 10:47
Ill try that thanks, i was really miffed:roll: I definately think children are easier D lol - anyway - no suprises this morning which was fab fab fab she does seems to be pretty random at the accidents!!!! Im sure we will get there and again brill advice from you all thank you :)

Leanne
17-Aug-10, 11:28
The problem with pups is you put them out and they forget to go. They are having that much fun being walked or running round the garden they don't remember they need a poo until you put them back in. I make sure they have a play and then when they have calmed down a bit, then I tell them to go and then I say 'go again' for a number two ;)

kjandcrew
17-Aug-10, 14:52
Thanks leanne - ill try that. What you said makes alot of sense she kind of just looks at me as if to say "yes im out here and!!!!" lol - we are both as daft as one another i think ;)

Dadie
20-Aug-10, 22:48
Hows it going with the toilet training?
Has he got more of an idea yet?
Less puddles more cuddles:lol:
Going demented at potty training...we are ok as long as there is nothing on the bum, but, as soon as you put pants or anything on they are filled or peed through!
Willing to swap..puppies are quicker!

Liz
20-Aug-10, 23:16
You'll have to put them out to the garden to do their toilet Dadie!:lol:

Dadie
22-Aug-10, 21:48
Its Iona.
She wants to be a big girl like Lauren and have big girl pants but she hasnt grasped the fact that if you have big girl pants on you need to say you need the loo and/or to use the potty..as long as the bum is bare there are hardly any accidents!

Ps we managed to train Poppy dog in 3 weeks to go outside only!
She was 3 when we got her and was only used to being in a kennel and not housetrained at all...Benny our old spaniel trained her to ask out.
And she would copy him, but even now she is more comfortable going in our garden than out for a walk.
Come home from a trip/walk and let her out for a poop!

kjandcrew
23-Aug-10, 18:46
I dont think im doing very well - she seems to have accidents randomly im still getting up at night and taking her out regularly, taking the food away by 7ish, shes getting lots and lots of praise but im pretty patient and will give it another few days then maybe try her in a cage. thank you for asking :)

I managed to potty train all my children alot easier than the puppy lol maybe ive lost the knack - good luck with your little un - i think it all "clicks" when they are ready whether is children or puppies lol

Dadie
23-Aug-10, 18:51
The only other thing I can suggest is a long walk at night time to tire the pup out.
Hopefully a few pees and a poop while out.
Then out before bed just for a pee and poop.
And out for a pee and poop about 10 mins after eack meal.

kjandcrew
24-Aug-10, 08:45
thank you again D - im doing what has been suggested - she is a really really lazy puppy and also she doesnt like being on the lead at all - I think ill just be persistent :) She seems to be the sort of dog that just wants to have a bit of a play and cuddle the other 90 percent of the time lol

Cagney
28-Aug-10, 16:51
Cagney we all said that crates are great if used properly and that does not mean as a prison.

They can provide a nice cosy den/sanctuary which the puppy/dog can enjoy. Benjy just loves his!:D
I'm sorry if I caused you any offence but I did say it was my personnal opinion and that I had known of a dog imprisoned in one. I have seen them uaed resposibly in vehicle for instance. Still do not like them personnally.
Thankyou for you welcome! (I think!).

Liz
28-Aug-10, 18:33
Oh Cagney no offence taken and my welcome was genuine.:D

Of course you are entitled to your personal opinion and I can totally understand you not liking crates if you knew of a dog who was imprisoned in one.

I just wanted to make it clear that they are great if used in the manner they were designed for.

murr
30-Aug-10, 22:48
we have a puppy 13 weeks he is good at night we feed him about nine then put him out about ten thirty he is in a cage we some teddys out of homeade i let him out at six thirty in the morning give him a treat when he does nothing at night and stroke him saying good boy if he does anything just put him out and then put him back in his cage that worked for us

Leanne
31-Aug-10, 12:27
our are now 9 weeks and doing well. They have their tea at 6 and we take up the drinking bowl at about 10 pm so they are 'empty' at bed time. There is only ever an accident if they have a sneaky drink out of a puddle at last wee time before bed. Doing it this way they let us lie in until half 8 :)

If you feed late and allow them unrestricted access to water then you set them up to fail. Timing their food/water intake with a set time before bed means they never go to bed with a full bladder or a need to poo and they can have lots of praise for no mess.

kjandcrew
18-Oct-10, 23:39
Hi - im still having problems with my puppy and really dont know what do - i walk her, praise her, everything you all said - i think i need a crate - can anyone help and loan me one please (eeek totally not me!!) - I put her in a dog run outside and she doesnt pooh in it !!- How rubbish am I - I love her to bits just dont get the "pooh n pee" in the house bit she never does "it" in front of me and has taken to doing it upstairs now ???? Im upset and desperate - please help if you can thank you

Aaldtimer
19-Oct-10, 03:26
OK, it's time to get serious! Do what a mother dog would do. Take her by the scruff of her neck, give her a shake, put her nose to the poop and toss her outside. Leave her there for as long as you can stand the whining, then let her back in. No cuddles, just let her back in and carry on as if nothing has happened. A few treatments like this should get the message across.:)

Dadie
19-Oct-10, 09:21
And restrict her access round the house again.
Back to the kitchen only...
Then when clean only add the living room.
Then upstairs last...use a stairgate if need be.

Sarah
19-Oct-10, 16:21
OK, it's time to get serious! Do what a mother dog would do. Take her by the scruff of her neck, give her a shake, put her nose to the poop and toss her outside. Leave her there for as long as you can stand the whining, then let her back in. No cuddles, just let her back in and carry on as if nothing has happened. A few treatments like this should get the message across.:)

The only message that will get across by doing that is that you are someone to fear. A fearful dog is not a happy dog.

Positive training is the only way to go if you was a happy and confident dog. You will have to go back to basics. After every meal, and every 2 hours, take her out, wait until she does something, and reward. Don't punish when something is done in the house, simply clean it up and ignore. Any attention you give is rewarding. What breed is the puppy and how old? Have you ever punished her for it? Hiding when she does it sounds like you may have scared her.

My adult dog who had spent two years living out in a shed and never been out to the toilet, going where she wanted was housetrained in 2 days as soon as she arrived here. It's very simple, and no need for a crate really. If you do decide to go for a crate, you want it to be big enough for her to stand up and turn around in. Too big and she will be able to avoid any messes she does.

Hogfather
19-Oct-10, 17:36
Don't want to depress you kjandcrew, but my 'thickest' dog was nearly 8 months before she was totally reliable :eek:
I guess different dogs 'get it' at different rates. Is your little 'un a nervous/clingy type of girl? The reason I'm asking is that you'll often find that a nervous dog won't 'go' somewhere that they think isn't 'safe' IYSWIM - if she doesn't feel totally happy in the garden/outside yet (noticed the bit about not taking to the lead walking) she might be preferring to 'go' somewhere she thinks is safer, in your house!
Constant vigilance is the way that works for me (I was not so on the ball back in the day I had my 'thick' dog, no longer with us:)) - not so easy I know when you have other things going on and can't keep a close enough eye to avoid accidents.
Are you finding that she 'sneaks off' to do it in the house while you are there, or does she go indoors while she is on her own? Is she a small breed (little bladder)? Can you tell when she is about to go (sniffing/circling etc)? Can't think of anything else that hasn't been mentioned already. I'm sure she will get there eventually, and I hope your carpets (and nerves) can survive the experience! ;)

Liz
19-Oct-10, 18:08

Please don't do this kjandcrew!!!! There are much kinder ways of toilet training and, as Sarah said, this will just make your dog fearful.

Toilet training is really a matter of patience and perservernce and you will get there I promise! Although at times it seems like you won't.

In addition to the great advice from Sarah you might find that a DAP diffuser could help as this is shown to help with toileting problems.

An indoor crate to avoid nightime 'mistakes' is a good idea and can also provide a 'refuge' for dogs, especially if they are a bit timid.
I know there are those who don't like them but, used properly, they are great. My dog Benjy loves his and will run into it himself. Especially if you put nice cosy bedding in it.

Good luck!

rekrap123
19-Oct-10, 18:31
I have PM'd you

teenybash
19-Oct-10, 19:32
Hi - im still having problems with my puppy and really dont know what do - i walk her, praise her, everything you all said - i think i need a crate - can anyone help and loan me one please (eeek totally not me!!) - I put her in a dog run outside and she doesnt pooh in it !!- How rubbish am I - I love her to bits just dont get the "pooh n pee" in the house bit she never does "it" in front of me and has taken to doing it upstairs now ???? Im upset and desperate - please help if you can thank you

Lots of good advice already given, meantime...... patience, patience and more patience and buy a Bissel Quick wash, they are invaluable for young and elderly doggies.;)