PDA

View Full Version : no help to Scots/Anglo relationships

golach
07-Jul-06, 15:30
I have just heard about this so called journalist, and I know we have a lot of Scotland versus England banter, but this hack writes for the gutter press. I would dearly like to meet this thing face to face.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media/story/0,,1815278,00.html

Hey I have just noticed I'm a 1K'r wow, I have reached a pinnacle in my life

scorrie
07-Jul-06, 17:10
I have just heard about this so called journalist, and I know we have a lot of Scotland versus England banter, but this hack writes for the gutter press. I would dearly like to meet this thing face to face.

http://politics.guardian.co.uk/media/story/0,,1815278,00.html

Hey I have just noticed I'm a 1K'r wow, I have reached a pinnacle in my life

That guy is a talentless "chanty rassler"

By the way Golach, be careful when telling people verbally, that you are a 1K'r, it could cause a giggle or two!! ;o)

changilass
07-Jul-06, 17:29
What an absolute plonker this guy is, even worse are the folk that pay him to spout his rubbish

unicorn
07-Jul-06, 17:32
He should be sacked, little wonder there is tension between the Scots and English with idiots like that spouting off to the nation :(

willowbankbear
07-Jul-06, 17:46
Real Scots dont read the Sun, its a comic

porshiepoo
07-Jul-06, 18:35
Kinda makes me ashamed to be English when someone says something so moronish (?) - Is that a word???
It's no wonder that any animosity between the two is kept alive and festering when someone gets away with such a blantantly racist statement.
He should be sacked and his job given to a Scot - Ignorant little so and so. [evil]

badger
07-Jul-06, 18:53
Kinda makes me ashamed to be English when someone says something so moronish (?) - Is that a word???
It's no wonder that any animosity between the two is kept alive and festering when someone gets away with such a blantantly racist statement.
He should be sacked and his job given to a Scot - Ignorant little so and so. [evil]
Am I missing something here - surely this pathetic little man is a Scot, or at least his ancestors were Scots. How did someone called MacKenzie become English?

golach
07-Jul-06, 19:50
Am I missing something here - surely this pathetic little man is a Scot, or at least his ancestors were Scots. How did someone called MacKenzie become English?
I cannot see your logic here badger, Trevor Macdonald the former news reader has a scottish name, but even you could hardly say he was Scottish, and yon David Cameron of the Tory party is not Scottish either[disgust]

Blazing Sporrans
07-Jul-06, 20:24
I cannot see your logic here badger, Trevor Macdonald the former news reader has a scottish name, but even you could hardly say he was Scottish, and yon David Cameron of the Tory party is not Scottish either[disgust]

I can see where Badger is coming from though given the reference to the surname. There is a possibility that this moron has Scots ancestry, however diluted it may have become, yet as usual with The Sun, it attempts to appeal to the lowest common denominator, i.e. the Burberry-cap-wearing-alcopop-swilling-bling-wearing-Little Englander. Look at the bad press afforded Andy Murray, who one minute is the saviour of BRITISH tennis, yet the next is castigated across the length and breadth of 'Engerlund' for a remark that he very probably made tongue-in-cheek, i.e. supporting Paraguay against England in the World Cup. I noticed that not nearly so many column inches were devoted to his subsequent public support of the England football team because it was good for British Sport as a whole.

I'm as proud a Scot as the next bare-cheeked kilted haggis, however I also supported the England football team during the World Cup because I genuinely wanted them to do well and recognised that they had a talented bunch of players who were capabale of achieving a lot more than they subsequently did. Many people I know were of the same mind. However, we all LOATHED the English media hype surrounding the "1966 revisited" twaddle that is continually foisted upon us by Gary Lineker, John Motson and their cronies. I regard myself as having sufficient intelligence to be able to divorce the football support from the media hype without feeling that I had committed an act of high treason by doing so.

Tabloid journalists and Mr MacKenzie in particular would do well to remember that many people feel the same way.

Ricco
07-Jul-06, 20:27
That guy is a talentless "chanty rassler"

By the way Golach, be careful when telling people verbally, that you are a 1K'r, it could cause a giggle or two!! ;o)

You're very right, Scorrie. If you say it quick it really does come out wrong. :lol:

pultneytooner
07-Jul-06, 20:42
We all have a laugh now and again between ourselves and the english, usually to do with sporting events, harmless banter but this guy is a total moron.

Gleber2
08-Jul-06, 16:45
I would dearly like to meet this thing face to face.

Whit wid ye do, ah wonder????:confused

2little2late
08-Jul-06, 16:47
This is the reason this guy works for the Beano, oops sorry, meant to say The Sun

Praetorian
08-Jul-06, 17:10
The Sun costs 10p - says it all and is only good for wrapping you chips in.
Spitting image got it right

Dave Taylor
09-Jul-06, 10:49
The key words in MacKenzie's article are near the end: "My job is to excite and entertain, not to announce that chrysanthemums are growing better this year."
So we cannot take him seriously as a journalist. But we can be "entertained" by his foolishness, and "excited" that he at least knows that Scotland exists, despite the thick haze that obscures and distorts the view from the press offices of London.
He still makes my blood boil though![evil]

orkneylass
09-Jul-06, 11:00
Is their not an offence of inciting racial hatred????

katarina
09-Jul-06, 11:05
Is their not an offence of inciting racial hatred????

Yes there is. Funnily enough it only used selectively! I'm sure this paper could be sued.

golach
09-Jul-06, 11:32
Whit wid ye do, ah wonder????:confused
A good question Owldish mate, it would depend on how much "Dutch Courage" I will have in me at the time [evil]

dinnad
28-Jul-06, 22:29

The same way another well known Cameron became English.

--
Cheemag.

badger
29-Jul-06, 10:32
Sorry I missed your earlier comment here, Golach, so am replying to that as well as dinnad. Anyone with an obviously Scots name must have Scottish ancestry, however diluted their Scottish blood has become since, and should be proud of it. It's bad enough when English journalists are rude about the Scots (although heaven knows what English - a mixture of all sorts) and vice versa, but when someone with a Scots name rants against the Scots it's just not on. Personally I hate all racism (as mentioned on another thread) - people are people, individuals to be treated as such. The sooner people stop being stereotyped the better but I suppose that will never happen.

Rheghead
29-Jul-06, 11:22
Mackenzie and Sherridan are the same rotten branch from different trees and frankly I have seen as bad if not worse anti-english journalism in the Daily Record and the Scotsman during the World Cup. Depending from which side of the tramlines you are standing just makes one or the other journalistic sewerage more memorable.