PDA

View Full Version : Will the last one to leave please turn off the lights.

Anfield
13-Aug-10, 11:10
Just when you thought that bureaucracy could not get any worse, it does,
There is a school in Wales which said goodbye to its last pupils in July.
However, depsite the fact that it will not be taking on any new pupils it has to remain open (with headmaster) till all the relevant paperwork is done, i's dotted and t's crossed.

The cost to the taxpayer? £110,000
Story here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10958726)

Any more examples of how in these times of austerity we are squandering money?

pegasus
13-Aug-10, 12:40
Just when you thought that bureaucracy could not get any worse, it does,
There is a school in Wales which said goodbye to its last pupils in July.
However, depsite the fact that it will not be taking on any new pupils it has to remain open (with headmaster) till all the relevant paperwork is done, i's dotted and t's crossed.

The cost to the taxpayer? £110,000
Story here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-10958726)

Any more examples of how in these times of austerity we are squandering money?
westminster:)

ducati
13-Aug-10, 22:44
It turns out the idiot's, sorry, Labour's fantastic Hospital building scheme using private finance initiative (:eek:) is costing the NHS £65 billion-5 times more than the Hospitals they have built are worth.

On the upside The Coalition have just shut down The Audit Commission, the body responsible for stopping councils wasting money. because it was...wasting money [disgust] I hope Audit Scotland is next.

And finally, we are about to be left with a huge reduction in defense spending because the idiots hadn't put aside any money for the spending they were planning over the next 10 years.

Bit of theme going on here.

Fly
13-Aug-10, 23:37
We could stop wasting money by getting out of the EU,no more foreign aid to countries such as China and India who have more industries than we do now, scrap the Human Rights act by which criminals are better off than their victims, handing out legal aid to MP's and others who don't need it, send those especially terrorists who falsely claim asylum back where they come from, stop benefit to work-shy scroungers for a start.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

I expect many of you won't agree with me, but that's my feelings for what they are worth.

Bazeye
14-Aug-10, 00:21
We could stop wasting money by getting out of the EU,no more foreign aid to countries such as China and India who have more industries than we do now, scrap the Human Rights act by which criminals are better off than their victims, handing out legal aid to MP's and others who don't need it, send those especially terrorists who falsely claim asylum back where they come from, stop benefit to work-shy scroungers for a start.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

I expect many of you won't agree with me, but that's my feelings for what they are worth.

Agree. You forgot to mention Pakistan though. I hope the floods dont wipe out their nuclear programme, it cost us a fortune.

TopCat
14-Aug-10, 07:40

I agree with fly also make the prisons,prisons not holiday homes--put them out to sweep the streets instead of watching films etc.

John Little
14-Aug-10, 08:15

I think most people I meet think most of this. My only disagreement is the EU but the rest is cool.
As for Pakistan - I'm a bit lukewarm about helping a country where a large percentage of its population seem intent on supporting the Taliban's view of the world. If they want to live under a Dark Age code that is their privilege.

I'm sure they would not want help from godless foreigners whose values they reject.

Anfield
14-Aug-10, 11:29
"..It turns out the idiot's, sorry, Labour's fantastic Hospital building scheme using private finance initiative (:eek:) is costing the NHS £65 billion-5 times more than the Hospitals they have built are worth..

"..And finally, we are about to be left with a huge reduction in defense spending because the idiots hadn't put aside any money for the spending they were planning over the next 10 years.

Er, wasn't it the Tories under Major that introduced PFI's in this country?

And if private companies who benefitted from PFI's did not rip the MOD off (here (http://www.epolitix.com/latestnews/article-detail/newsarticle/mod-victim-of-pfi-fraud/)) then the MOD would not have such a shorfall - we shall agree to disagree as to whether the UK needs to spend so much money on WMD

I agree with fly also make the prisons,prisons not holiday homes--put them out to sweep the streets instead of watching films etc.

Obvious problem of secuity unless they were all chained together!.
You also have to consider the consequences if one of the prisoners was injured as a result of working outside
Would we have a situation whereby you would have hordes of shyster solicitors following these "chain gangs", looking for the slightest breaches of Human Rights

As for Pakistan - I'm a bit lukewarm about helping a country where a large percentage of its population seem intent on supporting the Taliban's view of the world. If they want to live under a Dark Age code that is their privilege.

John, How can you make such a sweeping statement, I am surprised at you

Bazeye
14-Aug-10, 18:51
Anyway, isnt it ramadan now? I wouldnt want to "offend" any muslim by sending aid for food and tempting them to break their fast.

John Little
15-Aug-10, 15:01
John, How can you make such a sweeping statement, I am surprised at you[/QUOTE]

Well it's quite easy really- I just opens me mowf....

Consider. Much of the devastation has taken place in the Swat Valley.

Until last year the Swat valley was bandit country where it was unsafe for westerners to go. The Pakistani army went in there and took on heavily armed insurgents and drove them out of there. It is still heavily garrisoned.

Here is an area which supported the Taliban, which in turn propounds a view of life, especially for women, which I find antithetical to all I believe.

Say what you wish, in an area where guerillas rule, they cannot do it without the support of a large constituency among the civilian population.

And again, not just in the Swat valley, but across large areas of Pakistan, hundreds of thousands of people, maybe even millions, are prepared to send their children to madrassas where they are taught a particular view of the world- which seems to me to include a fine contempt for the west.

And again, many of the Taliban who are fighting in Afghanistan originate in Pakistan.

And the Taliban stone people to death, murder gay people, cut women's noses off if they do not agree to force marriages; commit 'honour' killings if a girl even looks at a lad .

I saw a Pakistani farmer in the Swat valley interviewed on the news and he said he thought God was punishing them.

I wonder what for?

Why should I put my hand in my pocket to help people in the Swat valley?

I give to charity - as I know you do, but in this case I'd rather give the money to my local hospice.

Anfield
15-Aug-10, 15:24
The population of Pakistan in 2010 was calculated to be 170,277,000 (http://www.statpak.gov.pk/depts/pco/)
In 2011 the population of the Swat Valley was 1,257,602 i.e. less than 1%.

You say "..Here is an area which supported the Taliban.."
So because an area which contains less than 1% of the population of Pakistan you are judging the whole of Pakistan?

In the last General Election the BNP received 514,819 of the vote which was 1.9% of the votes cast.
Using your methodology this means that the people would be correct in to thinking that the UK is a racist country

John Little
15-Aug-10, 15:40
[QUOTE=Anfield;748346]The population of Pakistan in 2010 was calculated to be 170,277,000 (http://www.statpak.gov.pk/depts/pco/)
In 2011 the population of the Swat Valley was 1,257,602 i.e. less than 1%.

You say "..Here is an area which supported the Taliban.."
So because an area which contains less than 1% of the population of Pakistan you are judging the whole of Pakistan?

I judged? I made a series of statements. Are they inaccurate?

Rather say I asked a question.

But if you read my post again you will see this line;

"And again, not just in the Swat valley, but across large areas of Pakistan, hundreds of thousands of people, maybe even millions, are prepared to send their children to madrassas where they are taught a particular view of the world- which seems to me to include a fine contempt for the west."

How many kids in how many madrassas?

And not just in the Swat valley.

A country has a culture which tolerates/propagates a fundamentalist version of religion based on a literal reading of a book.

Is not democratic beyond a surface glance and where political murder is common.

Perpetuates the subjection of women.

Tolerates its northern provinces being no-go areas run by tribal bandits who feud with each other, are xenophobic and particularly do not like westerners.

Where rape, murder and kidnapping are everyday events, corruption a yawn and freedom of the press a risible parody.

Is on the point of being a failed state.

So again I ask - why should I put my hand in my pocket to give this country money?

ducati
15-Aug-10, 18:52
Er, wasn't it the Tories under Major that introduced PFI's in this country?

True enough, and the idiots had 13 years to cock it up, and guess what? :eek:

Anfield
15-Aug-10, 18:53
[quote=Anfield;748346]

But if you read my post again you will see this line;

"And again, not just in the Swat valley, but across large areas of Pakistan, hundreds of thousands of people, maybe even millions, are prepared to send their children to madrassas where they are taught a particular view of the world- which seems to me to include a fine contempt for the west."

How many kids in how many madrassas?

And not just in the Swat valley.

A country has a culture which tolerates/propagates a fundamentalist version of religion based on a literal reading of a book.

Is not democratic beyond a surface glance and where political murder is common.

Perpetuates the subjection of women.

Tolerates its northern provinces being no-go areas run by tribal bandits who feud with each other, are xenophobic and particularly do not like westerners.

Where rape, murder and kidnapping are everyday events, corruption a yawn and freedom of the press a risible parody.

Is on the point of being a failed state.

So again I ask - why should I put my hand in my pocket to give this country money?

And the above "facts" are supported by what evidence, other than a few sensationalist stories in "The Scum", "Daily Express" etc

NB. When in a hole, stop digging

John Little
15-Aug-10, 19:31
I do not believe that it is I in the hole.

What I have said is freely available to find in the Independent, the Times, the Guardian..... and has a fairly wide currency among the population as a whole I think.

I see no reason to do your research for you - you want to challenge a generally accepted view, and one fairly exhaustively covered by our media, then I think the onus is rather more on you than me. And you have Google, just as I have.

You think I could not find stuff to back up what I say?
Which you could then throw stones at?

Well I could. Just as you could do the reverse.

You want to challenge my view, then you do the work.

And do not think I haven't noticed -you still have not answered my question.

Anfield
16-Aug-10, 11:18
"..What I have said is freely available to find in the Independent, the Times, the Guardian..... and has a fairly wide currency among the population as a whole I think.

".And do not think I haven't noticed -you still have not answered my question.
You made a statement in which you stated that the majority of the population of Pakistan supported the Taliban ("As for Pakistan - I'm a bit lukewarm about helping a country where a large percentage of its population seem intent on supporting the Taliban's")
I asked you to provide evidence of this, which you have so far failed to do.

As to your question "Why should I put my hand in my pocket to help people in the Swat valley" the answer is simple, you don't.

John Little
16-Aug-10, 11:28
I made no such suggestion.

If you care to read my post gain and apply reasoned interpretation to what I have said, I think you will find that I said (as indeed you quoted) 'A large percentage'.

There is rather a world of difference between 'a large percentage' and 'a majority' which is what you are claiming I said.

Since I am not in possession of that information I would not claim a 'majority'.

You seem intent on refuting what you would like me to have said rather than what I did.

Thankyou for answering my question. I think so too.

As to why people may seem a little lukewarm on sending aid to Pakistan, I think it not too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that there might be many out there who feel the same way as I do.

Please note that this is a supposition and not a claim.

Anfield
16-Aug-10, 11:44
There is rather a world of difference between 'a large percentage' and 'a majority' which is what you are claiming I said.

Perhaps you could explain the difference between a large percentage and a majority.

As to why people may seem a little lukewarm on sending aid to Pakistan, I think it not too much of a stretch of the imagination to think that there might be many out there who feel the same way as I do.

Please note that this is a supposition and not a claim.

Again I must ask you to back up your "supposition" that UK people are lukewarm to sending aid to Pakistan

John Little
16-Aug-10, 11:55
Ah - now a large percentage is a significant number of indefinite quantity. It is an entirely subjective arbitrary, and notional description used widely and colloquially to express a number which is unknown.

A majority is the larger of two related quantities. In our case, if we were speaking of majorities of people in Pakistan, then I would have had to have stated a figure over 50%.

But I didn't.

Even though you wish I had.

As to my supposition it is based upon an impression formed by reading the Independent over the last few days. I do not read the Sun or the Mail. (though I know you'd like me to)

But as I said, it is merely a supposition. If you want a wider spectrum of opinion we shall have to ask a few more Orgers for their views too.......

BTW-

"Again I must ask you to back up your "supposition" that UK people are lukewarm to sending aid to Pakistan"

Again?
But this is the first time you asked.....

Corrie 3
16-Aug-10, 12:42
I for one woudnt give a penny to Pakistan, any country that spends a fortune getting the nuclear bomb before putting their people first is not worth the effort. Also how much have they spent over the years fighting their neighbours (India) instead of making peace?
According to them we are the "Infidel" so in reallity they shoudnt accept money from us.

[disgust][disgust][disgust]

ducati
16-Aug-10, 13:38
The UNICEF UK representative on this mornings BBC news was basically appealing for more support as there had been a disapointing response from the UK. I guess this wouild support John's proposal of a luke warm response?

Anfield
16-Aug-10, 14:47
The UNICEF UK representative on this mornings BBC news was basically appealing for more support as there had been a disapointing response from the UK. I guess this wouild support John's proposal of a luke warm response?

There are a number of reasons why donations to the Pakistan appeal are not what was expected. Other disasters and peoples lack of disposable income are just two.
I certainly do not think that people are refusing to give just because Pakistan is a muslim country.

ducati
16-Aug-10, 15:05
There are a number of reasons why donations to the Pakistan appeal are not what was expected. Other disasters and peoples lack of disposable income are just two.
I certainly do not think that people are refusing to give just because Pakistan is a muslim country.

I don't think anyone said that was the reason.

Anfield
16-Aug-10, 15:06
I for one woudnt give a penny to Pakistan, any country that spends a fortune getting the nuclear bomb before putting their people first is not worth the effort. Also how much have they spent over the years fighting their neighbours (India) instead of making peace?
According to them we are the "Infidel" so in reallity they shoudnt accept money from us.

How much do we spend on nuclear arms?

and yet people in this country are still dying of malnutrition

Corrie 3
16-Aug-10, 15:23
How much do we spend on nuclear arms?

and yet people in this country are still dying of malnutrition
There is no reason why anyone in this country should die from malnutritian, the Govt give everyone enough cash to eat through the week, if they choose to spend the cash on other things rather than food then that is their choice.

[disgust][disgust]

Anfield
16-Aug-10, 15:59
There is no reason why anyone in this country should die from malnutritian, the Govt give everyone enough cash to eat through the week, if they choose to spend the cash on other things rather than food then that is their choice.

[disgust][disgust]

You mean things like rent, electricity, gas, rates etc.
This issue was raised at holyrood by an MSP. Further info here (http://www.scottish.parliament.uk/business/pqa/wa-10/wa0803.htm)
You will note that only 15 people under the age of 65 were included in this figure.