Puzzled
13-Aug-10, 00:54
What is going on at Bridgend?

rogermellie
13-Aug-10, 00:59
nothing, it's the middle of the night, go back to bed

Puzzled
13-Aug-10, 01:03
Some thing to get your teeth into! Many people have paid into this dental plan.

Dadie
13-Aug-10, 09:05
Heard they were closing.
The rumour mill is full of stories about taxes unpaid.....:eek:
And selling up....
Dont know how much truth is in it, but, its hard enough to get a dentist as it is never mind a NHS one. So losing any dental services is going to be a blow!

Lavenderblue2
13-Aug-10, 09:30
There was a time when you went into the Bridgend Dental Clinic or Smiles as they now call it there would be lots of people waiting and you had to wait for a few weeks for an appointment. My husband and I were patients at Bridgend for a number of years but were very lucky to get taken on by Lochshell a couple of years ago.
However, I have continued to go to the B H Centre to see another practioner. It seems to me that since they changed their dental plan (yet again) and also started charging for children, patient numbers have fallen dramatically, the waiting room is now empty.
The charges at the private practice in Wick aren't nearly as high as the charges at Smiles and they seem to be thriving. I don't know, this is only my humble opinion but to me GREED seems to jump to mind... Lets face it, I didn't think there was such a thing as a poor dentist! :confused

The Angel Of Death
13-Aug-10, 12:20
my humble opinion but to me GREED seems to jump to mind... Lets face it, I didn't think there was such a thing as a poor dentist! :confused

I think you got the nail on the head. Its bad enough paying dentist prices but paying to get the luxuary of seeing a dentist smacks of greed. It's funny how its all gone pear shaped since these changes were taken in though.

cuddlepop
13-Aug-10, 13:41
They run the dental practice in Portree too and it would appear according to yesterdays P & J "smiles solutions" is in receivership.
NHS quoted as saying that they see no immediate inpact on their dental services.:confused

Once again they have no idea that you cant get one of their dentist to do anything other than emergency treatment over here.
Oh traveled to Inverness to attend "training school" for final year dentists just to get his crown replaced.

Word of warning it took two hours for a hygienist and her students;followd by the dentist and his to examine and agree treatment.

Going back next week for fillings which will be done morning then afternoon
There will then be another trip out for the crown to be replaced.
We are grateful but it shouldnt come to this.[evil]

ter21wat
13-Aug-10, 14:36
They run the dental practice in Portree too and it would appear according to yesterdays P & J "smiles solutions" is in receivership.
NHS quoted as saying that they see no immediate inpact on their dental services.:confused

Once again they have no idea that you cant get one of their dentist to do anything other than emergency treatment over here.
Oh traveled to Inverness to attend "training school" for final year dentists just to get his crown replaced.

Word of warning it took two hours for a hygienist and her students;followd by the dentist and his to examine and agree treatment.

Going back next week for fillings which will be done morning then afternoon
There will then be another trip out for the crown to be replaced.
We are grateful but it shouldnt come to this.[evil]

Ooo how did you get an appointment there? Can anyone get treatment? x

cuddlepop
13-Aug-10, 15:22
Ooo how did you get an appointment there? Can anyone get treatment? x

Oh had an emergency appointment as his crown had fallen out and the dentist asked if he would be willing to travel to Inverness so his students could "help" him .

Metalattakk
13-Aug-10, 15:48
It's all in your local Groat (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8530/Dental_practice_closure_threat__deeply_worrying_.h tml).

HMRC demanding taxes paid. Nothing mentioned about a failing business or a lack of customers.

Alba.gu.brath
13-Aug-10, 16:17
I used to get treated by John & Janey Murray when they opened their practice in Broadford before they went in to private practice after that i changed a practice in inverness as they were considerably cheaper . They like spending anyway .

Shabbychic
13-Aug-10, 16:18
It's all in your local Groat (http://www.johnogroat-journal.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/8530/Dental_practice_closure_threat__deeply_worrying_.h tml).

Why should the Scottish Government step in to help this business? They have been ripping people off with their monthly charges, and now can't pay their tax bill. I was with Mr Barry for years, but refused to pay these monthly charges, as it was sheer extortion.

I do feel for the staff who may lose their jobs, but not for Mr and Mrs Murray. Perhaps if they had run it without their charges, they would have a higher turnover, and not left in this position.

Sara Jevo
13-Aug-10, 17:57
The dentists are private businesses, just like the GPs.

For many years, they contracted with the NHS to provide a public service.

A few years ago, they decided they could make more money by terminating their contract with the NHS and offering private care only.

Consequently, thousands of people in Caithness no longer had access to dentistry on the NHS.

It's taken a while, but the NHS has built a dental surgery at Wick and is employing dentists to run it. I believe work is due to start soon on a similar facility in Thurso.

I doubt if anyone who has anything to do with the NHS will shed any tears whatsoever for the greedy dentists who turned their backs on thousands of people in Caithness.

The Angel Of Death
13-Aug-10, 18:17
It's taken a while, but the NHS has built a dental surgery at Wick and is employing dentists to run it. I believe work is due to start soon on a similar facility in Thurso.

While its great that this has happened after being on the list since it was advetised i still have 1500 odd people ahead of me in the pecking order :(

Dadie
13-Aug-10, 18:26
Hubby has been on the NHS waiting list since at least 2003 and was no 2400 and something last time he checked!
So he has no choice but to go private at the moment, so his teeth are kept in good condition, rather than wait until he is in agony and get a temporary repair (as thats all the dentists will do) from phoning the NHS no!
Im lucky that I got in Lochshell.
And the kids have all been taken on by Lochshell.
There are a lot of people on the waiting lists that have had to go private in the interim.... what will happen to the people in bridgend?
If it shuts they wont have NHS dentists or might end up on another waiting list to get a private dentist.

Puzzled
15-Sep-10, 20:03
See it has finally closed!