PDA

View Full Version : ideal place for asda

sweep
07-Jul-06, 10:51
am i missing something or would the site of the mart in thurso(about to close) be an excellent site for asda

newpark
07-Jul-06, 11:04
There is no room for an Asda and carparking it would mean a lot a lot a lot of conjestion especially with school traffic.

jaykay
07-Jul-06, 16:38
The mart does not close until the end of this year. I also understand that the site is not an option as Elphinstone (the company who own it) have already refused to sell it to ASDA. Elphinstone are property developers and will undoubtedly be planning to use the mart site for housing. Anyway ASDA already have a perfectly good site at Pennyland which they should already have got outline planning permission for.

peedie man
07-Jul-06, 17:29
they could always come to wick

Blazing Sporrans
09-Jul-06, 06:25
am i missing something or would the site of the mart in thurso(about to close) be an excellent site for asda

It's a pity if the auction mart site isn't available - don't know about being too small either - there's more land there than most people realise - I stopped to look at it last night. Not only would proximity to the town centre be more convenient but they might even consider moving their freight by rail as it neighbours the railway station.

ice box
09-Jul-06, 11:32
Cant see them building a supermarket there just look at the slope the grounds on. You would have a hard job walking up the hill never mind pushing a trolley or even a wheelchair. Nope sorry cant see that happening .

willowbankbear
09-Jul-06, 11:47
Cant see them building a supermarket there just look at the slope the grounds on. You would have a hard job walking up the hill never mind pushing a trolley or even a wheelchair. Nope sorry cant see that happening .

Dry yer eyes Ice box, cant push the trolley? A big strong loon like ye!:Razz
Good news for you then, Tesco is on quite flat land LOL

ice box
09-Jul-06, 11:56
Dry yer eyes Ice box, cant push the trolley? A big strong loon like ye!:Razz
Good news for you then, Tesco is on quite flat land LOL
No i was just thinking of the wife.... lol...... i feel a slap coming on

connieb19
09-Jul-06, 11:58
No i was just thinking of the wife.... lol...... i feel a slap coming onDon't slap your wife icebox...lol[disgust]

willowbankbear
09-Jul-06, 12:01
What yer giving her a slap for futuristic shopping at ASDA when theres a Tesco in Wick, where ye live? wasting petrol yes?[lol]

connieb19
09-Jul-06, 12:02
She might just phone the police..lol lol:lol:

willowbankbear
09-Jul-06, 12:04
Surely his wife wouldnt rat on him?:eek:

Blazing Sporrans
09-Jul-06, 17:40

But the proposed Pennyland Farm site is on a slope too and a lot of the ground around the mart is actually levelled - all the stock holding areas are downhill, away from the uphill slope of the road.

Phoebus_Apollo
09-Jul-06, 22:49
Hopefully when ADSA launch their appeal and the situation is reviewed again at the end of the month the development will go ahead as planned.

little chef
10-Jul-06, 15:06
The mart is easily accessible for everyone in the town.The Pennyland site is not an option as it is part of the green belt set out in the local plan. If the local plan is ignored then what is the point of having local plans in the first place!!! It's already a nightmare coming in from Dounreay....can you imagine what it wold be like at rush hour with people coming in and out of a giant supermarket with all the Dounreay traffic.

changilass
10-Jul-06, 15:59
It's already a nightmare coming in from Dounreay....can you imagine what it wold be like at rush hour with people coming in and out of a giant supermarket with all the Dounreay traffic.

It will be no worse than trying to get out of Lidlle is just now[disgust]

little chef
10-Jul-06, 16:06
Traffic there isn't too bad at the moment but with 2 supermarkets, a large hotel opposite Pennyland Farm and a retail park built by Tulloch in the remaining fields I think traffic congestion could get a lot worse!

jaykay
10-Jul-06, 17:00
Trafric won't be a problem at Pennyland if they are building this bypass we keep hearing about.

stacemonster
15-Aug-06, 17:56
Its no wonder that Scotland has the obesity problems it does with the restricted access to decent food. North Caithness in particular. When all we have to choose from is Lidl and, of course, antoher Lidl. How can people refuse shops like Asda, who will not only benefit the economy but will perhaps give us access to healthier lives. Yes there is a Somerfields, but have you ever took a second to read the labels on processed food in that store. How are people supposed to minimise the amount of processed food they intake, when fresh food is priced so highly. Its about time shops like Asda were allowed access to communities like this, and its about time communities actually stopped and thought about what was best, yes there may be some congestion, but really is an extra 5 minutes such a big deal when you're probably loosing 10 years on your life expectancy by shoopping in Lidl and somerfield!

Tugmistress
15-Aug-06, 18:09
Just to add my 2p worth, i think pennyland is the best place for asda, regarding traffic they stated they would build an access roundabout aswell as the bypass. regarding it being a green belt or whatever it is they say it is, to me is pure nonsense when you look at what a real green belt is in a city. this is a field on the edge of town, towns expand outwards, the area has already been earmarked for building on anyway, so why shouldn't it be asda?

Spirit
15-Aug-06, 20:34
Just to add my 2p worth, i think pennyland is the best place for asda, regarding traffic they stated they would build an access roundabout aswell as the bypass. regarding it being a green belt or whatever it is they say it is, to me is pure nonsense when you look at what a real green belt is in a city. this is a field on the edge of town, towns expand outwards, the area has already been earmarked for building on anyway, so why shouldn't it be asda?

I agree. Pennyland Farm would be the best place for Asda. With a bypass and access roundabout at that side of the town it would help ease traffic.
Having asda at the mart site would create a larger traffic problem with little options or ground/area to do anything to reduce the problem.

thickrodney
15-Aug-06, 20:59
I agree. Pennyland Farm would be the best place for Asda. With a bypass and access roundabout at that side of the town it would help ease traffic.
Having asda at the mart site would create a larger traffic problem with little options or ground/area to do anything to reduce the problem.

Blame the tories

In 1996, Prime Minister John major, introduced the Policy Planning and Guidance series, intended to redirect further development of houses, shops, and much else towards urban brownfield sites rather than have more greenfield sprawl.
Paragraph 45 of the Scottish Executive publication on NPPG 8 Town Centres and Retailing states, “Where a proposed development is not consistent with the development plan, it is for the developer to demonstrate why an exception to policy should be made. Such proposals should be rigorously assessed by the planning authority against the policies set out in this NPPG and should be refused if all the following considerations cannot be met.”

this is probably why some councillors rejected the proposal.

In fact they all should have.

in here somewhere
http://www.communities.gov.uk/index.asp?id=1143926

pultneytooner
15-Aug-06, 20:59
Stick it in watten...

thickrodney
15-Aug-06, 21:03
Stick it in watten...

Watten stands on the smallest “mountain” of the Monts des Flandres (72m high), where the river Aa meets the wide flat coastal marshes. The river flows out to sea near Gravelines, while a wide canal branches off towards Dunkerque. Watten grew up around an abbey, founded on the mountain by monks in 1072.

it would be a shame to ruin such a picturesque village:)

Kingetter
15-Aug-06, 21:43
Stick it in watten...

Just Stick it!

pultneytooner
15-Aug-06, 21:45
It asda be watten for me.[lol]

Gogglebox
16-Aug-06, 17:51
Did they have the planning meeting today or not
(re comments on home page)
If so anyone know what happened

Royster1911
16-Aug-06, 20:35
The planning meeting was on today but it has been previously published in the press and on .org homepage that the Asda application was put back to the September meeting. sob sob[evil]

Gogglebox
16-Aug-06, 23:24
The planning meeting was on today but it has been previously published in the press and on .org homepage that the Asda application was put back to the September meeting. sob sob[evil]

Must start reading that rag properly, did see a headline on home page but it didnt really tell me anything - -should read not skim!! cheers

moose and Lindsay
16-Aug-06, 23:31
Asda doesn't want the mart site, they r still going for pennyland!!!!

was told that today

Frantic
02-Oct-06, 17:07
Oh good, Pennyland is the better site anyway. I dont think all that extra traffic right next to the High School would be a good idea.

Loafer
03-Oct-06, 18:45

One wee problem. Have you seen Caithnesians using roundabouts?? If the mini roundabout in Wick is anything to go by, God help us!!!

Some highway code reminders through the letterboxes might help????????

The Loafer

Cattach
03-Oct-06, 19:40

You certainly are missing something - infact a lot. If you spend a day around that corner of town you will see how congested the streets get. College traffic, Industrial site traffic, station traffic, general movement of residents between Pennyland site, Orlmlie site, etc and town. High school cars and pupils by the hundred, primary school and Nursery school traffic and pedestrians, Undertakers at Ormlie Lodge, Thurso Building Supplies, Rapsons Bus garage, Vets surgery, two medical surgeries, etc, etc, etc, all in a very small area. Forget the Mart Site!!!

Victor Vendetta
03-Oct-06, 23:33
"Cant see them building a supermarket there just look at the slope the grounds on. You would have a hard job walking up the hill never mind pushing a trolley or even a wheelchair. "

Remember the slope of the hill at Scapa house prior to Lidl's going up?

Developers would just chew up the mart site and cart it away or even tier it.

Sshhh it's a secret..............TESCO!

Tristan
04-Oct-06, 01:10
Its no wonder that Scotland has the obesity problems it does with the restricted access to decent food. North Caithness in particular. When all we have to choose from is Lidl and, of course, antoher Lidl. How can people refuse shops like Asda, who will not only benefit the economy but will perhaps give us access to healthier lives. Yes there is a Somerfields, but have you ever took a second to read the labels on processed food in that store. How are people supposed to minimise the amount of processed food they intake, when fresh food is priced so highly. Its about time shops like Asda were allowed access to communities like this, and its about time communities actually stopped and thought about what was best, yes there may be some congestion, but really is an extra 5 minutes such a big deal when you're probably loosing 10 years on your life expectancy by shoopping in Lidl and somerfield!

Have to add my 2p n here. The lack of fresh produce has been a real problem up here. There are some very good soft fruit providers but day to day apples etc have always been worse than Inverness. I remember when Safeways was here it always looked as though we got the fruit Inverness did not want or was done with: there was always a huge difference in quality. I have not seen a huge difference with the other supermarkets. At least with Lidl you do get what you pay for.
For good healthy meals ignore the supermarkets and go to you butchers and fishmongers. Better food and better for you. I know tesco is finally talking about aging its beef for 21 days but will it be good local Caithness beef and lamb?
As for fish, fresh fish last around 3 days. I am not sure I want to know what they do to the fish to ship it from here, down south, pack it, ship it back up and still give it a shelf life - can we say chemical treatment.
Bring on Asda and tesco let the big boys of Summerfield and Co-op play but remember for real quality it's local produce all the way!

Boozeburglar
04-Oct-06, 01:58
How tiring it is to hear all the cliches about Lidl being trotted out.

The food in there is as healthy as anything ASDA sell, you can spend all your money on sweets and fatty rubbish in ASDA just the same.

Lidl has excellent fruit and veg at very cheap prices. They have great frozen fish and superb low fat yoghurt and cottage cheese, as well as fine rye bread at a fraction of the competitor's prices.

Beer is not bad either.

I am against transporting things here when our local produce could be valued more, but let us not be unrealistic about what Lidl has to offer, and remember they invested here and perhaps encouraged the newer investors to identify a market to challenge.

I know it is wrong, but I do shop in supermarkets.

;)

maidencaithness
04-Oct-06, 06:55
Maybe the Coop doesn't have as much choice as Asda & Tesco but they do stock local vegetables when in season Cauliflower, broccolli,turnips, cabbage and potatoes all from John o' Groats.

northener
04-Oct-06, 10:08
Build a supermarket at a cattle auction site?

Isn't that quite dangerous?

Imagine the scene, you're in the pasta section deciding whether to get fusilli or tagliatelle, all of a sudden there's the sound of a large wagon backing up, the tail ramp crashes down and you find your self in the path of a herd of stampeding Aberdeen Angus with a combined weight of around 8 tons.

I personally think that doing this would raise a few health and safety issues. Tie this in with the difficulty of getting your trolley past a load of cheviots trying to get at the broccoli and the absolute confusion at the tills, (livestock aren't very good
at queueing...mind you, neither is anyone in Wick) and you have a recipe for herbivore havoc.

Totally daft idea, i'm just glad we've got Tesco's at the airport in Wick.

Hang on though, what about the Orkney flight taxiing past the deli counter?

scorrie
04-Oct-06, 14:26
Stick it in watten...

Very appropriate place, since they're only coming to Caithness because they are Watten' a beeger share o e market!!