PDA

View Full Version : Tesco vs Asda Vs ???????

Kingetter
07-Jul-06, 09:18
Looking back at all the stuff written about these Supermarkets moving up here, I got to wondering if it had been Tesco (or maybe another outfit), not Asda trying to get in to Thurso, would it have made a difference? On the surface of it, probably not, but, I'm not quite so sure about that.
I would sooner have Tesco than Asda. Maybe a lot of other folk think so too. Asda is owned by Walmart, an American Company. Tesco is at least British (assuming that counts for anything). Walmart sells guns in some of its USA stores - that's not part of our culture. I've never been convinced that Walmart had any interest in Britain other than a springboard to Europe.
Are there any other big shops - like Sainsburys for instance that might be a preferred option? If there is a real need for such a shop in Thurso for instance, could an acceptable alternative company be approached?
People are asking whether the arrival of big shops up here in Caithness means there's something 'in the wind'. My take is probably no. The big stores have lots of money to open up stores and if these don't make money, can be used to offset taxes so they win anyway. Plus, they could gain any local fringe benefits - help from the Council maybe? By creating employment, maybe the Government helps financially also?
Expansion boosts Shares Value - good for their Shareholders?
Expansion commercially up here in Caithness may help put Caithness more firmly on the map but is that really wanted and for that reason?
I also agree with the opinion that the proposed site in Thurso was wrong.

James.

rfr10
07-Jul-06, 09:32
Thats interesting what you are saying. I think the reason that people want ASDA is because they are a lot cheaper- Maybe not compared to Tesco but Sainsburys are a lot dearer than ASDA and Tesco. In the first place, personally, I didn't see the need for two big Supermarkets in Caithness but then I suppose it's for choice.

newpark
07-Jul-06, 09:37
Sainsburys is far too dear. Tesco is my preferred choice. Walmart in USA is a fantastic shop and much much better than Asda over here. Everytime i'm in USA I always manage to fill at least one suitcase on walmart stuff also fill my belly on walmart bakery goods, waffles and other sweet stuff.

Dali
07-Jul-06, 10:09
Looking back at all the stuff written about these Supermarkets moving up here, I got to wondering if it had been Tesco (or maybe another outfit), not Asda trying to get in to Thurso, would it have made a difference? On the surface of it, probably not, but, I'm not quite so sure about that.
I would sooner have Tesco than Asda. Maybe a lot of other folk think so too. Asda is owned by Walmart, an American Company. Tesco is at least British (assuming that counts for anything). Walmart sells guns in some of its USA stores - that's not part of our culture. I've never been convinced that Walmart had any interest in Britain other than a springboard to Europe.
Are there any other big shops - like Sainsburys for instance that might be a preferred option? If there is a real need for such a shop in Thurso for instance, could an acceptable alternative company be approached?
People are asking whether the arrival of big shops up here in Caithness means there's something 'in the wind'. My take is probably no. The big stores have lots of money to open up stores and if these don't make money, can be used to offset taxes so they win anyway. Plus, they could gain any local fringe benefits - help from the Council maybe? By creating employment, maybe the Government helps financially also?
Expansion boosts Shares Value - good for their Shareholders?
Expansion commercially up here in Caithness may help put Caithness more firmly on the map but is that really wanted and for that reason?
I also agree with the opinion that the proposed site in Thurso was wrong.

James.

Stores in other countries will always sell things like guns as they are legal there.
Has nothing to do with us what they sell there they dont sell them here so no problem . Tesco sell whale and dolphin meat in there stores in japan.
Still will not stop me from shopping in either store.

http://www.eia-international.org/cgi/news/news.cgi?t=template&a=193&source=

JAWS
07-Jul-06, 11:16
Have I missed something? I didn't realise ASDA had applied to become a Registered Firearms Dealer as part of it's Thurso Planning Applicaion.

Kingetter
07-Jul-06, 21:48
Thats interesting what you are saying. I think the reason that people want ASDA is because they are a lot cheaper- Maybe not compared to Tesco but Sainsburys are a lot dearer than ASDA and Tesco. In the first place, personally, I didn't see the need for two big Supermarkets in Caithness but then I suppose it's for choice.

Remember though that Wick and Thurso will have folk from Sutherland using the 'Big Shops' also.

Blazing Sporrans
08-Jul-06, 20:08
I just look forward to reaping the benefit of competition between the big two. It can only be good for the Caithness & Sutherland consumer surely?

Kingetter
08-Jul-06, 20:13
I just look forward to reaping the benefit of competition between the big two. It can only be good for the Caithness & Sutherland consumer surely?

One would certainly hope so.
But, take this a stage further. If both are up and running, will it encourage other firms to try their hand up here, and if so, who?
Would M&S try for instance?

bagpuss
14-Jul-06, 23:40
Both Asda and Tesco are steadily working their way north- the A96 has umpteen of both stores on every town's bypass. they seem to like bypasses- and note that the shops in the towns are being turned into housing.

theone
15-Jul-06, 01:13
One would certainly hope so.
But, take this a stage further. If both are up and running, will it encourage other firms to try their hand up here, and if so, who?
Would M&S try for instance?

Nah M&S would never come up to towns the size of Wick or Thurso. I remember being taught in Business studies many years ago they wouldn't normally be in a town the size of Inverness, but only went there because of its huge catchment.