PDA

View Full Version : Brain-teasers

bluenose
29-Jun-04, 09:14
Do not ask me why I have just thought of this but minds move in mysterious ways. However, a number of years ago, a national newspaper posed the following question, (I cannot quote verbatim nor remember which paper it was but all the information is included): - If I stood at the North Pole and walked one mile south, one mile west (or east) and then one mile north I would end up back in the same position. There is one other situation on the Earth which also satisfies these conditions, where is it?
I could not get the answer and put it to some of the finest brains in my local. Again, no one could offer a solution. A week later on reading the answer I understood the logic, no tricks, no complex mathematics just simple arithmetic. This did not stop me having to pay £2 for a football to use as a globe to explain to some (allegedly intelligent people) why it was true.
If anyone can figure it out either PM me or post it, otherwise I will give you the week that I had to figure it out (unsuccessfully).
If you cannot wait a week PM me and I will tell you, albeit the morning after.
Otherwise, if anyone has any similar posers please feel free to add to this one.

Greenrunner
29-Jun-04, 12:19
ow about 1.159 north of south pole? approx since tape measure has probably shrunk

brokencross
29-Jun-04, 15:56
Greenrunner has got it about right, Mr Google has it all right! Good teaser though.