PDA

View Full Version : 7th July Bombings

souperman
07-Jul-06, 08:48
Just a thought for any London based orgers who might have been affected by the attacks last year, it will be a very difficult day for you. I`m sure the thoughts of the .org community are with you.

newpark
07-Jul-06, 08:52
This is going to be an awful day for many people makes you thankful that so far we are untouched physically by all this terrorist stuff. Obviously mentally we have all been touched by it.

golach
07-Jul-06, 08:53
Just a thought for any London based orgers who might have been affected by the attacks last year, it will be a very difficult day for you. I`m sure the thoughts of the .org community are with you.
I fully agree with you souperman, I would also add my thoughts are with anybody who was affected by this terrible atrocity, not only in London but all over the UK

scotsboy
07-Jul-06, 09:58
A difficult day made worse by all the attention devoted to it?

ŠAmethyst
07-Jul-06, 10:49

A difficult day, yes... but those whose lives it has changed forever or worse taken away should be in our thoughts.

Perhaps some who were affected cannot stand the attention, but as I see it, those who lost their lives ought to be remembered.

People all over the UK have been affected by it (not just those in London) and my colleagues and I will be joining the 2 minute silence at 12 o'clock to pay our respects.

badger
07-Jul-06, 19:19

I don't think so. I was only indirectly affected but have been dreading this anniversary and would have been very upset if it had passed unnoticed as I am sure the only crumb of comfort for those who did lose family or friends is the knowledge that they are not alone. I was staying with a friend outside London and planning to meet my daughter, who lives in the East End, that afternoon. Unlike me, my friend does not listen to the radio so the first I knew anything had happened was when my daughter was finally able to phone and told me she was all right. I had no idea what she was talking her about. She was in a state, partly because she was surrounded by it all and could not even get home at one point and partly because her boyfriend just missed one of the bombs. Needless to say we were unable to meet. My friend spent half the day ringing round her family who might have been in the area.

I have felt sick all day, praying there would be no repetition and knowing so many other people - including others living up here - have family there and are feeling the same way. If I feel like this I cannot imagine what it must be like to have been directly involved and dreading this anniversary.

rockchick
08-Jul-06, 11:05
The bombings in London weren't very nice, but I have to compare this one incident with what people have been going through in Iraq for the last two years, since Bush and Blair declared war on them. We don't like it much when it's in our backyard, but are quite happy to send troops over there and blow things up; if a few innocent civilians get knocked off, well, it's all for a good cause, right? It's not all right when it's on our own shores, nor anywhere else. Pull the troops from Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever they are, and stop this stupid "war on terror".

Sorry if this offends anyone, but I felt it needed to be said.

rob1965
08-Jul-06, 11:48
; if a few innocent civilians get knocked off, well, it's all for a good cause, right?

NO.......................

ŠAmethyst
08-Jul-06, 15:01
We don't like it much when it's in our backyard...

Yes, it is in our back yard, and we're standing up for ourselves... and the Iraqi people (apparently, anyway)

Last year I moved out of Thurso into Inverness... When I came here I was shocked at the ammount of Iraqi's around who'd claimed assylum. There don't seem to be so many today as there was this time last year.

badger
08-Jul-06, 19:04
The bombings in London weren't very nice, but I have to compare this one incident with what people have been going through in Iraq for the last two years, since Bush and Blair declared war on them. We don't like it much when it's in our backyard, but are quite happy to send troops over there and blow things up; if a few innocent civilians get knocked off, well, it's all for a good cause, right? It's not all right when it's on our own shores, nor anywhere else. Pull the troops from Iraq, Afghanistan or wherever they are, and stop this stupid "war on terror".
Sorry if this offends anyone, but I felt it needed to be said.

Actually I don't think most of us were happy to invade Iraq and I could never understand how Tony Blair and George Bush were re-elected. One thing about a comparatively minor incident on our own doorstep is that it makes some of us realise what a nightmare Iraq must be. Both this and Afghanistan are a mess, largely because our leaders are unable to plan anything in advance, refuse to listen to people who actually know what they are talking about and just carry on regardless. I would like to send George Bush and Tony Blair into Baghdad completely incognito and let them live for a while with ordinary residents - then they would really know terror.