PDA

View Full Version : Continental Market

chocolatechip
12-Aug-10, 11:55
I saw a sign for this Market starting today. But I hadn't seen anything on here, thinking about going in to have a little look

Invisible
12-Aug-10, 13:32
The street is heaving today, which is great!
The freshly made doughnuts are delicious too:lol:

Bobbin
12-Aug-10, 14:04
What time will they be there to?

silverlady
12-Aug-10, 18:23
Garlicky prawnies - yummmmmmmy!!!

telfordstar
12-Aug-10, 18:26
It was good to see town so busy not often its like that anymore, Gutted the guy who does the wee pancakes wasna there although i did see the guy with donuts I think I may have to get some :)

summer
12-Aug-10, 18:59
Aww shame, I was planning a 40 mile round trip just for more of those pancakes.

scorrie
12-Aug-10, 19:46

I think the sign said 12th-14th Aug

Invisible
12-Aug-10, 19:50
I think the sign said 12th-14th Aug

I can confirm this

dirdyweeker
12-Aug-10, 19:50
Sign at the Service Bridge end was changed today. Market is now on the 12th to the 15th

Kevin Milkins
12-Aug-10, 20:07
I wondered why I could not get parked easy today and lots of big vans in the car park.

Great to see that the town is busy.:Razz

rogermellie
13-Aug-10, 01:20
is it coming through to Thurso this year ?

sids
14-Aug-10, 13:01
It was good to see town so busy not often its like that anymore, Gutted the guy who does the wee pancakes wasna there although i did see the guy with donuts I think I may have to get some :)

There's a guy making the big wide thin crepes.

Leanne
14-Aug-10, 13:04
The baklavar wasn't so good - pastry at the bottom was raw! And at £8 for 4 slices it was v expensive!

Lavenderblue2
14-Aug-10, 13:12
The baklavar wasn't so good - pastry at the bottom was raw! And at £8 for 4 slices it was v expensive!

That's strange Leanne, my grandaughter paid £4.80 for three slices and I thought that that was ridiculous. :confused

I thought the C/Market was a real disappointment, very few stalls selling a load of overpriced trock. :lol:

mrlennie
14-Aug-10, 13:46
That's strange Leanne, my grandaughter paid £4.80 for three slices and I thought that that was ridiculous. :confused

I thought the C/Market was a real disappointment, very few stalls selling a load of overpriced trock. :lol:

Amen to that lol

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-10, 13:49
I had a walk around the market yesterday, and although it was great to see the market square buzzing, I couldn't see anything that I would even risk eating regardless of price.:confused

If this market had travelled to Wick for a three day stint, how fresh is the fresh bread etc, where does it get baked?

I am not wanting to sound negative about what many people may have found a refreshing change from the norm, but, humping food about the country in a van must have it's inherent health risks and who do you approach if you get poisoned?

sids
14-Aug-10, 14:44
I couldn't see anything that I would even risk eating regardless of price.:confused

Risk eating?

A coward dies a thousand deaths.

who do you approach if you get poisoned?

St Peter.

Corrie 3
14-Aug-10, 14:45
Risk eating?

A coward dies a thousand deaths.

St Peter.
Thank God we have a Tesco
is what I say!!!!

[lol]

Kodiak
14-Aug-10, 15:21
We visted the Market this afternoon. It was busy but as I was about to find out, Very Expensive.

Mrs Kodiak saw some Turkish Delight and she asked for some. She got three small handfulls and we both nearly fell over when we were told the price was £16.90. I was so stunned I just handed over a £20 note hoping I had heard him worg. Unfortunately I had not as I received £3.10 in change.

I should have known better as this particular stall had no prices displayed, I do not know if I paid the correct price or not.

All I can say I have learned a lesson and next time I will ask the price before ordering.

sids
14-Aug-10, 15:28
I was so stunned I just handed over a £20 note

I'd have been so stunned I would have just not bought it.

girnigoe
14-Aug-10, 15:41

12th - 15th :)

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 16:34
Have to agree sounds very expensive what they are charging,i can understand these stall holders putting their prices up a bit to cover petrol costs etc to travel this far north but hearing the post re the Turkish Delight was scandalous !
Just another thought and moving a bit of track,myself and the wife have only been up here a month and wonder why isnt their more farm shops/local farmers markets around Wick? We really was spoilt for choice when we lived in West Yorkshire 2/3 local really good farm shops selling every thing from local meats,cheeses,veg,butters creams milk,cakes,bread etc.... why hasnt this sprung up around the area it really is a goldmine business. Perhaps there is these sort of places and i havent found them, yet?

Wick itself from an outsider seems to be a town which seems to have lost its way imho...im not an advocate of multi national companies like Tesco coming in and taking over but their seems to be so many shops lacking in the town,now wether this is down to high rents being charged i dont know,it just seems to be that somehow Wick needs to reinvent itself as there really isnt a lot to offer in the town.

cherokee
14-Aug-10, 16:48
Just another thought and moving a bit of track,myself and the wife have only been up here a month and wonder why isnt their more farm shops/local farmers markets around Wick? .

Why not try Puffin Croft In John O' Groats?

Fresh bread baked daily, jams and pickles and homemade goats cheese, duck, hen and quail eggs along with loads of different vegetables - all home grown/baked !!!

Take the Duncansby Head Lighthouse road; straight across from the Post Office and its the first house on the left !!

(Before anyone asks - I have no connection to this business whatsoever - I just think that it sounds brilliant !!!)

Happy Guy
14-Aug-10, 16:53
Have to agree sounds very expensive what they are charging,i can understand these stall holders putting their prices up a bit to cover petrol costs etc to travel this far north but hearing the post re the Turkish Delight was scandalous !
Just another thought and moving a bit of track,myself and the wife have only been up here a month and wonder why isnt their more farm shops/local farmers markets around Wick? We really was spoilt for choice when we lived in West Yorkshire 2/3 local really good farm shops selling every thing from local meats,cheeses,veg,butters creams milk,cakes,bread etc.... why hasnt this sprung up around the area it really is a goldmine business. Perhaps there is these sort of places and i havent found them, yet?

Wick itself from an outsider seems to be a town which seems to have lost its way imho...im not an advocate of multi national companies like Tesco coming in and taking over but their seems to be so many shops lacking in the town,now wether this is down to high rents being charged i dont know,it just seems to be that somehow Wick needs to reinvent itself as there really isnt a lot to offer in the town.

There are many local food producers, many of whom sell direct, via farmers markets or at the farm gate. Greystones Farm to fork pork, Bulno Goats Cheese, and Caithness Smokery for example (comtact details can be found on the business listings here on the org. By the way, welcome to Caithness - you will love it

poppett
14-Aug-10, 16:59
Sounds like a good idea to me, and a nice run out.

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:05
You mean the farm shops idea?
Please dont take offence people but i think personally there is so much lacking up here,i appreciate the population is small but it just needs waking up !
The farm shop idea is a sure winner i know ive seen them them packed out with a few of them having a small cafe attached and as i mentioned they are gold mines!

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:06
here a couple we used to go to

http://www.farmercopleys.co.uk/

http://www.blackerhall.com/

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:08
thanks on that we will take a look at the puffins croft one

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:09
Thanks on that Happy guy i will look on the business section

sids
14-Aug-10, 17:15

Sounds awful! Hope you haven't moved to the wrong place.

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:16
Im staring one up soon dont worry! .........

Corrie 3
14-Aug-10, 17:19
Sorry Chris,
It sounds like another Incomer trying to wake us from our Slumber....We are happy as we are,please dont try and change us...if you want Yorkshire things then you should have stayed there !!!
Please leave us to live and die in peace !!

:roll::~(

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:26
I will leave you in slumber....sorry for posting

Corrie 3
14-Aug-10, 17:39
I will leave you in slumber....sorry for posting
Now you have got the hump!!
Sorry Chris but you said our small population needs waking up!!
Why do we need waking up?...Its what makes Caithness different to the rest of the UK...we have our own time, do things when we want to do them..why do we need waking up? If we wanted all the things that they have down South we would emigrate.
Why have you chose to live up here Chris?...Is it because you have had enough of the South and its ways by any chance?
Live and let live Chris, we dont need waking up, we is just happy as we are thanks...
Now dont be so mardy and carry on posting!!.....:D:roll:;)

Chrisf1961
14-Aug-10, 17:46
lol no serious i havent the hump..and i possibly it came across wrong in that i didnt mean the people but the town.

Gosh long story in how we came here ..we found out our landlord after 12 months was taking our rent money and not paying the mortguage on the house we rented off him.( he recided abroad)..hence it came to a debt collection company on behalf of the bank turning up at our door and we had roughly a week or 2 to get out before repo. As we have an Autistic son we had to find a secure property within this time and this was one of the few that was suitable.
My wife just said i always antagonize people on forums !
Please dont think im like that because im not! Perhaps its the way i post and come across..apologies if ive affended anyone.

Kevin Milkins
14-Aug-10, 18:20
lol no serious i havent the hump..and i possibly it came across wrong in that i didnt mean the people but the town.]

[My wife just said i always antagonize people on forums !

There is a saying, "when in a hole, stop digging"

I wouldn't normally advocate this, however, this might be one of the rare occasions that you should take some notice of the wife.;)

We have been here for four and a half years and one or two people are starting to talk to us now, I once made the error of judgment by trying to explain what I thought was the difference between a swede and a neep....:eek: That went down well, !!! NOT. As the title says.

Scarybiscuits03
14-Aug-10, 19:28
I dont see why a farm shop is needed when most of the local butchers sell local meat, eggs, veg, etc. Isn't that the same thing?

Rheghead
14-Aug-10, 20:02
My Dad lives in a very rural place; he's 83 years of age, so if someone has the insight to open a"market shop" to help out the local people/OAP's and obviously tourists then....... GOOD FOR THEM, and I, for one, want to WISH THEM ALL THE LUCK THAT THEY DESERVE !!!

Scarybiscuits - Remember not everyone is capable or able to get to their local butchers (usually in town/village??) ...... ???

Surely mobility restrictions apply equally to Farm shops as well as the local butcher if not more so?

Scarybiscuits03
14-Aug-10, 20:08
My Dad lives in a very rural place; he's 83 years of age, so if someone has the insight to open a"market shop" to help out the local people/OAP's and obviously tourists then....... GOOD FOR THEM, and I, for one, want to WISH THEM ALL THE LUCK THAT THEY DESERVE !!!

Scarybiscuits - Remember not everyone is capable or able to get to their local butchers (usually in town/village??) ...... ???

Surely they'd have to walk/travel regardless unless this farm shop was in their front room? [lol]Silly

Moira
14-Aug-10, 21:20
You mean the farm shops idea?
Please dont take offence people but i think personally there is so much lacking up here,i appreciate the population is small but it just needs waking up !
The farm shop idea is a sure winner i know ive seen them them packed out with a few of them having a small cafe attached and as i mentioned they are gold mines!

What did you mean?
Personally I think you should explain yourself.
Name the farm. We will all patronise it for sure.

Stack Rock
14-Aug-10, 21:35
Got taken for a mug today - bought some 'prawnies' at one of the stalls. I thought as the seller was continental the them 'prawnies' referred to the actual product namely prawns. How wrong was I, its actually reformed stuff like crab sticks to look lile prawns. In hindsight they all looked identical size and shape.
Obviously described as 'prawnies' to comply with the trades description act - felt a right numpty

MileHigh
14-Aug-10, 22:07
Don't mean to be a moan but who brought these people up here for 4 days ? It may have made our town centre busy for a change but I feel sorry for the local shop keepers who are struggling to make ends meet in difficult economic times. The International market gets paid to come up here and gives nothing back not to mention the enviromental health rules which they are not required to adhere to compaired to the local shop keeper who has to obay the health inspector or face being closed. sorry to moan but in the present Climate I don't think its right.

Gogglebox
14-Aug-10, 22:36
Don't mean to be a moan but who brought these people up here for 4 days ? It may have made our town centre busy for a change but I feel sorry for the local shop keepers who are struggling to make ends meet in difficult economic times. The International market gets paid to come up here and gives nothing back not to mention the enviromental health rules which they are not required to adhere to compaired to the local shop keeper who has to obay the health inspector or face being closed. sorry to moan but in the present Climate I don't think its right.

If they are getting paid to come up its a change as they used to give money (around £1500) to Thurso and Wick to come here when they came previously!
I know i booked them!
This story that they were getting paid to come went round before - It was a load of Horlicks!! - Idle speculation!

THe shopkeepers tend to not mind too much the market being there as it brings people into the town and they are busier as a result

MileHigh
14-Aug-10, 22:38
I stand corrected then

JammyDodger69
15-Aug-10, 01:15
the stall selling olives was fantastic and very reasonable for great food

lhm
15-Aug-10, 09:39
I would be curious to know how they can sell food from a stall so close to other eating premises because i have a friend who has a catering van and he woud'nt be allowed to set up in the market square maybe someone can answer this for me.

mrlennie
15-Aug-10, 09:54
I would be curious to know how they can sell food from a stall so close to other eating premises because i have a friend who has a catering van and he woud'nt be allowed to set up in the market square maybe someone can answer this for me.

I think maybe because it's a temporary thing?

unicorn
15-Aug-10, 09:56
Is the stall there that was selling dog beds in Thurso last time?

bagpuss
15-Aug-10, 17:23
I'd like to take up something that Chris1961 posted in the Continental Market forum. He and his family have just moved into Caithness from West Yorkshire- and are finding some things are wanting. Apart from Puffin Croft and the usual market Saturday traders there are no farm shops or farmers' markets.

Maybe he should have considered inverurie where there's a huge farmers' market every weekend?One option might be for him to have a go at crofting and start his own farm shop?

Caithness is a changing county- there are possibly more incomers moving up having discovered the county online than the numbers who moved up in the 1950's to take up jobs in Dounreay. So what are the newbies doing for a living? What is bringing people into the county now? Surfing? A new business? Or better social services provision for family etc?

sids
15-Aug-10, 17:28
What is bringing people into the county now? Surfing? A new business? Or better social services provision for family etc?

Cheap property.

A plan to sell a house in England, buy a cheap one here, use the remaining money to refurbish the Caithness house and live on incapacity benefit.

Sometimes a perverse wish to not have nearby neighbours.

Can't be the weather.

scotsannie
15-Aug-10, 17:38
What's that old saying "WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMAN'S DO" if you come to Caithness to live, then please accept the way it is, don't try to change it.

Leanne
15-Aug-10, 18:06
What's that old saying "WHEN IN ROME, DO AS THE ROMAN'S DO" if you come to Caithness to live, then please accept the way it is, don't try to change it.

Very much agreed :)

KCI
15-Aug-10, 18:11
Well, I liked being able to look round the market - made a nice change!
Most of the things were clearly priced, and we stayed away from the sweets etc. To be honest, the wasps put me off eating anything - but we had some hot doughnuts today, and little KCI loved them!
I bought a few things from the glass stall and the wooden ornaments stall, and the prices were fine.

Unicorn - Sorry - I didn't see any stalls selling dog beds!

Rheghead
15-Aug-10, 18:50

So what happens when the Romans want to change their way of living eg. ASDA, more industry, shops, wind farms and better roads etc and the rich incomers with their large villas just want Rome to stay all quaint like?

wickplayer
15-Aug-10, 19:38
Personally I found the Continental Market vey good and reasonable this year. And it brings a variety of items that I haven't seen very readily in shops. I still shop in the local shops but appreciate them making the effort to come up so far north

Blarney
15-Aug-10, 19:40
Well, I liked being able to look round the market - made a nice change!
Most of the things were clearly priced, and we stayed away from the sweets etc. To be honest, the wasps put me off eating anything - but we had some hot doughnuts today, and little KCI loved them!
I bought a few things from the glass stall and the wooden ornaments stall, and the prices were fine.

Unicorn - Sorry - I didn't see any stalls selling dog beds!
I agree with you KCI, it made a nice change to see the town centre buzzing yesterday with folk of all ages and from all over. The local shops were doing rather well out of it too and the B'Fest crowd were mingling with the shoppers making the town a good place to be on a fine afternoon. Yes, some of the stuff was pricey but they were offering their goods for sale and no one was forced to buy anything. It was good to see the sights and the smells were a great reminder of foreign parts. I for one would welcome their return every year.

telfordstar
15-Aug-10, 19:53

Very much disagree with this statement, This town is stuck in a time warp, needs major brought into the future with alot of things. get with the times!

Corrie 3
15-Aug-10, 20:04
Very much disagree with this statement, This town is stuck in a time warp, needs major brought into the future with alot of things. get with the times!
Get with the times ??
What like we need to get a shooting everyday, several stabbings and murders in a week?? Get real Man(or Woman) why do you think so many English are emigrating up here? They want to be trapped in a time warp,
a safe and friendly time warp..if you want change I would suggest you emigrate to North London, you would just love it there !!

:eek::eek:

Dadie
15-Aug-10, 20:48
I enjoyed a mooch around the stalls, but, didnt buy much.
Even though I liked lots on the glass stall and a seat on the wooden pieces stall.
The glass pretty as it was wouldnt last long in our house and the wooden seat was too big and heavy to move and as I didnt know where I would put it, it stayed where it was.
Didnt fancy any of the handbags on sale..
And the guy on the amber/silver jewellery was packing his stuff up when we were there otherwise he might have got a sale!
Sweets were expensive.
We were not hungry so didnt try the food.
But I like it that we can have something different in the towncentre and I think it helped the local stalls rather than detracting from them as there was more people in the towncentre than I have seen for ages looking at ALL the stalls!

Rheghead
15-Aug-10, 21:07
I heard some of the stallholders saying people weren't buying, that wasn't to sound insulting, it was just an expression of disappointment.

telfordstar
15-Aug-10, 22:31
Get with the times ??
What like we need to get a shooting everyday, several stabbings and murders in a week?? Get real Man(or Woman) why do you think so many English are emigrating up here? They want to be trapped in a time warp,
a safe and friendly time warp..if you want change I would suggest you emigrate to North London, you would just love it there !!

:eek::eek:

Jee whiz man/woman get a grip, where oh where in that did i mention the dribble you mentioned above shootings, stabbings etc, you need to jump down of you high horse that your on at the moment.

How would you know I would like it in "North London"? Exactly you dont know, so dont presume things eh!

Life changes its what happens so yeah get with the times. There has been a few things happen in the town that hasnt happened before ie bfest, do you slate them for having alot of folk drunk in a field dancing away to music, let me guess no you never.

grrrrrrrrr.

chocolatechip
15-Aug-10, 23:20
I went to the Market x2, Friday and today and I loved it!! I bought a bag from the guy selling them, he was a right old charmer. He tried his very best to chat me up!! He was sweet though and very helpful!! I also bought some of the prawnies and I was able to remember some of my French from my "Good Old School Days" And they seem to be happier if you know a phrase or 2 in their language. Over all a 10/10 from me.

scotsannie
16-Aug-10, 18:04
I am not rich and do not own a villa, I was merely passing an opinion about people moving to Caithness, and then wanting to change things, yes more jobs and better road conditions, not sure about wind farms, but hey we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is, leave Caithness as it is. If people want what they had where they lived before, then why move?

telfordstar
16-Aug-10, 21:00
I am not rich and do not own a villa, I was merely passing an opinion about people moving to Caithness, and then wanting to change things, yes more jobs and better road conditions, not sure about wind farms, but hey we are all entitled to our opinions, and mine is, leave Caithness as it is. If people want what they had where they lived before, then why move?

Leave it as it is :roll::lol:

Maximo
19-Aug-10, 13:55
I went to the Continental Market on Friday and it was lovely to have something in the town that was different and nice to take a wander around.

However I bought a wee bag of honeycomb bites and a wee bag of fudge from the sweet counter and was alarmed when he asked for £18.90!!! I couldn't believe it and in hindsight I should have put it back as he was putting in a handful of each type of fudge when I only asked for one piece of each!! The cheek and the cost was ridiculous!

I did buy some paella too and it was delicious and a good price! Avoid the unpriced items at all costs next time though!!

Geo
19-Aug-10, 15:58
Had a similar experience at the sweet stall. I asked what the price was. I think it was £4.99 per 200g so I agreed and asked for some Turkish Delight for my wife. He filled a bag and asked for over £10 so I asked him to half the amount. He got it down to £6.25, which I accepted.

We all had a piece each. Got home and my wife gave half to sis-in-law, left the rest for later and went out. Arrived home to find the dog had eaten it! LOL. Most expensive dog treat ever! :)

Kevin Milkins
19-Aug-10, 17:00
Most expensive dog treat ever! :)

At least the dogs botty burps should smell of eastern promise.:lol: