PDA

View Full Version : Dear Scotsmen and women

Karlsen
11-Aug-10, 08:44
My name is Havard Karlsen and I`m an Norwegian.

Some history: In 1612 - Gen George Sinclair went to Norway with his army in an attempt to help the Sweedish king. He landed at our west-coast with some 8-900 men and started his march towards the sweedish border. However- the general and his men was ambushed at Kringen/Sel county by the locals. Approx 80 men were captured- and most of them were executed the following day. Between 20-23 men was pardoned- and some of them (Including Mrs Sinclair) managed to get back to Scotland.

2 of those men (brothers) managed to get to Trondheim region (middle Norway) They settled down and eventually raised families. Their names was Anders and Walter Aage. Also known as Anders and Walter Skottlaender Aage. We believe this is a norwegian form of writing - and we don`t know their exact scotish name.
Anders have directly bloodlines with my family.

My family are looking for the list of recruits/soldiers which we believe Gen Sinclair undoubtfully prodeced befor the campaign. Stories and other historians in Norway says that the men was recruited in Caithness/Wick area.
Any information regarding this will be highly appreciated. Our main goal is to find relatives today- and maybe visit them in the near furure.

Best regards

Havard

marionq
17-Aug-10, 17:53
I can't help you with family lists but I would suggest the book "Scotland's Empire" by Professor Tom Devine as a book which deals with the links between Scotland and Scandinavia in the 17th Century. It certainly helps to give you a perspective on commercial and military connections during that period.

Karlsen
18-Aug-10, 19:11
Will check it out asap!

regards

Havard