PDA

View Full Version : Re: No More Requests For Free Stuff

TrulyRural
10-Aug-10, 18:06
As a newbie I can't understand the reasoning behind Bill Fernie's decision that people must cease from requesting wanted 'freebie' items. Rather than being prescriptive without giving an explanation, surely it may be an idea to add an extra section (easy enough to do if you're familiar with vbulletin), or at least give us a decent explanation. It seems to contradict the sticky messages advertising free recycling sites!!!

Dadie
10-Aug-10, 19:48
There is a perfectly good wanted section!
If you want an item for free or cheap state that on your request there!

TrulyRural
10-Aug-10, 21:11
You can create a large number of sections on a forum you know? My point was nothing more than offering advice in making the forum more user friendly. What was yours?

Connor.
10-Aug-10, 21:38
I agree with TrulyRural, it keeps the free from the items people want to pay for. So then you at least know what the person is wanting.

It also is helpful if they say "Wanted - blah-de-blah". To which someone replies "oh, i've got one of those taking up room, PM me".

I'd much rather have that in a different section for things people are wanting to exchange items/monies for.

Dadie
10-Aug-10, 22:01
I have found that the people on the org are pretty helpful in the wanted section.
Lots of people have helped out when "setting up house" for new starts when a request for anything and everything has been put in. With most of the wee things that add up being given for free (even some big things).
And most of the time if looking for something it will be pm'd to you as cheap or free.
If there was a section on people wanting stuff for free it would soon get cluttered.
Then less would look at it.
Even in the stuff for sale section people will offer a swap .. eg.. games.

black16i
11-Aug-10, 08:41
I agree with trulyrural as well

i think a "wanted for free section" would be ideal, at least you wont be bombarded with PM's saying "i have one for £20 or whatever", when your clearly wanting it for FREE..........

TrulyRural
11-Aug-10, 09:10
Sorry if I sounded a bit offish Dadie (didn't mean to), but as the others are suggesting, what is wrong with having a 'free stuff wanted' section? For example I must have a shedful of stuff that I don't even look at (and would happily give away), so if someone requested an item that I know I've got, I would be more than happy to dig it out for them. I certainly don't have the time to list all the things I don't want anymore (like everyone else) so it does make sense.

So come on Bill, pull your finger out and add an extra section for all us loyal orgers ;)