PDA

View Full Version : Louisburgh Street Wick?

codex
26-Jun-04, 22:46
Anyone out there know why Louisburgh Street is so-called? Id very much appreciate any info . :o)

Bill Fernie
28-Jun-04, 15:47
Frank Foden’s book on Wick provides a few references to Louisburgh Street -
In 1755 – “Mr Sutherland expects that the population ‘will be considerably augmented’. In addition to the development south f the river under discussion with the British Fisheries Society, he alludes to the creation of the ‘village’ of Louisburgh. A planned rural settlement just north of the town, consisting of houses worth at least 10 pounds each on an acre of ‘excellent land fit for garden ground’, 33 acres altogether, a project of Mr Dunbar of Hmpriggs. This village, named ‘in compliment to Mrs Dunbar , whose Christian name is Louisa…can hardly fail to prosper from the many advantages it possesses.

Wick was surrrounded by other small and separate place such as Pultenytown, Newton and others further out that were often included when referring to Wick. Tthese might also include - Papigoe Staxigoe, Ulbster, Sarclet, Ackergill, Reiss, Killimster, Auckengill and Stirkoke.

In 1890 there were still two small schools in Lousiburgh. They were part of the Landward School Board that dealt with schools just outside Wick burgh itself and also includedJanetstown, Bilbster, Staxigoe and Stirkoke. Next Wick Burgh was the Police burgh of Pulteneytown.

Mr Foden's book on page 386 goes on "In 1840 Thomson writes of 18 unendowed schools in the parish 14 of which were in Wick, Lousiburgh and Pultenytown."

codex
28-Jun-04, 15:57
hi there Bill
Im sorry lol but im not the creator of this thread.
It appears as if a Bug may be present.
I cant think as toward how this has happened

Anonymous
28-Jun-04, 22:34
My apologies to Technotrance and to Bill Fernie, it was I who sent in the query with regards to Louisburgh Street,,I am the bug, Technotrance is a family member and as I was not registered {actually didnt know how to} :confused , I have since managed to register :) and would like to thank Bill Fernie for the info, I found it very interesting :) , again my apologies to all concerned, so sorry :(

JAWS
29-Jun-04, 00:47
Well at least you provided the day's excitement. :D

Anonymous
29-Jun-04, 09:34
Thanks Jaws you made my day :) .............heres me thinking Id committed a hanging offence by using someone elses username. Glad to know Id caused a little bit of excitement out there. THE BUG :cool: