PDA

View Full Version : Tylers trust website

Amy-Winehouse
09-Aug-10, 09:14
Hi all we have started a website and would love it if as many people as possible could become a member !have a browse through our website still a work in progress with a lot more photos to be added.

feel free to Leave comments and suggestions :Razz

http://tylerstrust.webs.com/ here is the link

thank you x

Bill Fernie
09-Aug-10, 15:17
Just had a quick look a the web site and a few initial comments -

Good idea to let folk know whats going on but it does not realy make it clear that local is Wick. A statement about the area you give to would be helpful or you may get requests from all over the world.

No place with contact details to give folk confidence this is genuine and not a scam web site. A name and address usually makes things look better to the sceptical viewing public. You dont need a phone number if you do not want one but an email address or contact form would be sufficient.

The web site does not say if the trust is a registerd charity. If so it might be an idea to publish the number so if anyone has that questions you head it off. If you are not a registered charity have you checked your tax status as you may have liaibility to pay income tax on any money received - its mainly only registered charities that are exempt. I expect you have looked into this but its not clear from the web pages so far.

Music on intro page - Do you have copyright permission. It may not be a big issue but as you are staing things of your are copyright you might be as well to check if you need permission if you have not already requested it or you may get a bill or request to remove it. Also a switch off music button for folk who do not like your choice or get fed up with it repeating over and over when they go to the home page.

Hope that is helpful. I give a donation when I am passing the shop and say well done to you all for a great effort in the past couple of years.

Good luck for the future of your cause and well done for all your efforts to date.

Bill

Julia
09-Aug-10, 16:53
Well done on the website, it's looking good but you need to check all your spelling and grammar, i.e. Tyler,s should by Tyler's etc..

Sorry I'm not trying to be critical just helpful and constructive, attention to detail can make all the difference.

pegasus
09-Aug-10, 16:54
Hi all we have started a website and would love it if as many people as possible could become a member !have a browse through our website still a work in progress with a lot more photos to be added.

thank you x

well done! i wish you success and i agre with some of mr fernies comments

keep up the good work:D

pegasus
09-Aug-10, 18:11

thank you x

i see amy that after 9 hours you have got 3 replies.

perhapsd alot of "orgers" is busy backstabing each other to bother with youre cause? or maybe there to busy trying to figure out who all the others "orgers" are? or to busy with there self apreciation socity?

never mind. keep up the good work any how:D

KCI
09-Aug-10, 18:34
It's a great idea to have your own website, so good for you!
As has already been pointed out, the grammar, spelling etc needs to be checked - just trying to be helpful.
The advertisements are a bit annoying, but I know you can't do anything about that!
Is that Tyler's photo in the background? Is there any way that the photo could be shown fully on the front page? It's a lovely picture, and sometimes people like to see the person, if you know what I mean?

Great idea though, wish you Good Luck with the site. It's a great way to let people know what you are doing, events etc. :):)

The Happy Humanist
09-Aug-10, 20:28
Good for you! I'm always impressed by your energy and enthusiasm.:D
Having been given support from the Trust for my son, I know what a great community resource it is.
As an ex-English teacher and someone who still writes for a living, I'd be happy to check spelling, grammar and punctuation for you on anything you want to post on the site, if you think it would be of any help.
The important thing in writing is always getting the message across in the most powerful way you can and the other orgers are right that some people make negative judgements if there are any slips.
Please do get in touch if you want and carry on with all the great work.
All the best
Kate.

pegasus
10-Aug-10, 17:52
Having been given support from the Trust for my son, I know what a great community resource it is.
As an ex-English teacher and someone who still writes for a living, I'd be happy to check spelling, grammar and punctuation for you on anything you want to post on the site, if you think it would be of any help.
The important thing in writing is always getting the message across in the most powerful way you can and the other orgers are right that some people make negative judgements if there are any slips.
All the best
Kate.

Thats a generous offer extendng a helping hand to assist a very worthy cause.
A good deed is never lost! :)

GuitarHero
11-Aug-10, 20:22
The advertisements are a bit annoying, but I know you can't do anything about that!

There is only 1 ad banner on the site which is necessary for free-served websites, I don't think it is annoying at all. It's not like it's a pop-up advertisement that keeps coming on with each page you look at.

Amy-Winehouse
12-Aug-10, 14:21
Thank you for your postive feed back but i know my grammar and spelling arent up to scratch mainly because i am dyslexic and it,s not one of my strong points and i would be the first to admit that,

As long as it,s readable i am happy and people who have negative feedback really arent seeing the point im trying to put across!!

I have noted your comments and will look into some of them further, i am always happy to have any kind of feed back be it good or bad mainly because it gets people speaking about autism which is why i started the website and the trust !

Tylers trust is not a registerd charity mainly because we all know what happens to registered charity,s the money goes else where and we want to keep the money local we have paper work drawn up from the sociltors stateing it,s a trust,

And the song choice was picked by me because of some of the words and what it means to me and makes me think of my son !! As he is beautiful no matter what people say,

I am not an expert on a computer and it,s the first time i have set up a website so i didnt expect it to be spot on thats why i was happy for your comments and feed back.

Thank you for taking the time to have a look at our website and leaving your suggestions !

Amy-Winehouse
12-Aug-10, 14:22
All the best
Kate.
Thank you for your kind offer i may be in contact with you for some help

thanks

samf1971
12-Aug-10, 16:41
I would like to see more information about local services on the website, not just about ABA and Son Rise, perhaps some info/opinions of CEYAC and primary/secondary school education in the area, speech and language therapy available, paediatrican services, NAS etc etc.

K.B
12-Aug-10, 17:08
Doesn't matter about the spelling as long as ur raising loads of funds and awareness that is all that matters NOTHING ELSE ;)

brad1
12-Aug-10, 18:27
I just had a look at the site and i think it's great. The local shop has raised a lot of money to help local kids with autism keep up the good work :)

Amy-Winehouse
12-Aug-10, 19:24
I would like to see more information about local services on the website, not just about ABA and Son Rise, perhaps some info/opinions of CEYAC and primary/secondary school education in the area, speech and language therapy available, paediatrican services, NAS etc etc.
The website was started only a few days ago and as i said on the website it is still a work in progress!! I have not got round to adding everything on it yet as i dont have an awfull lot of spare time.

Regards to the ABA and sonrise i feel it is very important to mention these programs because they are very effective and do work my son is living proof of it and yes there is more about them on the site just now because it,s what has worked best for him, My son does not attend CEYAC and i dont have a lot of information about the CEYAC to post so feel free to post any comments or information on the website about the CEYAC if you wish.

As most parents with autism knows speech therapy is very hard to get up here because of the lack of funding and staff !! Although my son has a very good speech therapist at the moment but we had to wait an extremely long time due to the above reasons.

There is also a link already posted about the National autistic society on the web page, If you feel you would like to post your views on any of the above feel free to do so on the web page also if you are interested you may want to become a member on the web page so you can post freely

thanks

samf1971
13-Aug-10, 10:42
I know you have only just set the website up, I was merely giving suggestions to what content you could add in future.

I was trying to suggest that it would be a good reference for families and parents of recently diagnosed children, as you say there is little information given at the time of diagnosis so I thought that perhaps you could add some information on the website so that people know what to expect in the area - for instance, you mention that families with children with Autism know how difficult it is here to get speech and language, however if you only just had your diagnosis you perhaps wouldn't know that and know what the next steps would be, equally moving into the area you wouldn't tend to know

Can I ask your reasons about the CEYAC, is that because you feel there is no other intervention needed other than ABA/Son rise for your son or is it that they're not very good, I've only heard people say that CEYAC is great, but only through friend of friend type conversations so interested to know "first hand"

Amy-Winehouse
13-Aug-10, 14:37
I know you have only just set the website up, I was merely giving suggestions to what content you could add in future.

I was trying to suggest that it would be a good reference for families and parents of recently diagnosed children, as you say there is little information given at the time of diagnosis so I thought that perhaps you could add some information on the website so that people know what to expect in the area - for instance, you mention that families with children with Autism know how difficult it is here to get speech and language, however if you only just had your diagnosis you perhaps wouldn't know that and know what the next steps would be, equally moving into the area you wouldn't tend to know

Can I ask your reasons about the CEYAC, is that because you feel there is no other intervention needed other than ABA/Son rise for your son or is it that they're not very good, I've only heard people say that CEYAC is great, but only through friend of friend type conversations so interested to know "first hand"
I understand it was a suggestion i was just explaining my reasons for not adding more information about local services , My son did attend CEYAC while he was being assessed, And did not progress he was in a room with a support worker with no other children for the first 6 - 8 months of his assesment, For a child with autism interaction is very difficult and having no one else to learn interaction from how was he to learn or progress,

The staff at the CEYAC are very nice people but to no fault of there own have very little training which is common in alot of places in the uk, My son also used to get very distressed there and the staff didnt really know how to cope with him when he was distressed and screaming which left me feeling very worked up when i dropped him of sometimes i would get a phone call after about 20 mins to come pick him up.

There are loads of methods and techiniques used to learn a child with autism and i didnt see any of them being used while he was there this could be different now but i couldnt comment as like i said i have no information on the CEYAC apart from the breif stint that my son went there,

My son now attends mainstream and loves it he gets on far better and the staff of both the little nippers and north school have been brillant i couldnt of asked for anything more from them they have been very flexiable with my son,s program and anything that he has needed hasnt been a problem,

ABA/LOVAS isnt the only programs avaible i belive the CEYAC run The teecch program but sadly i did not see that while my son was there, I hope this answers you question and i am happy to hear your suggestions

thanks Amy

chaz
13-Aug-10, 15:46
I understand it was a suggestion i was just explaining my reasons for not adding more information about local services , My son did attend CEYAC while he was being assessed, And did not progress he was in a room with a support worker with no other children for the first 6 - 8 months of his assesment, For a child with autism interaction is very difficult and having no one else to learn interaction from how was he to learn or progress,

The staff at the CEYAC are very nice people but to no fault of there own have very little training which is common in alot of places in the uk, My son also used to get very distressed there and the staff didnt really know how to cope with him when he was distressed and screaming which left me feeling very worked up when i dropped him of sometimes i would get a phone call after about 20 mins to come pick him up.

There are loads of methods and techiniques used to learn a child with autism and i didnt see any of them being used while he was there this could be different now but i couldnt comment as like i said i have no information on the CEYAC apart from the breif stint that my son went there,

My son now attends mainstream and loves it he gets on far better and the staff of both the little nippers and north school have been brillant i couldnt of asked for anything more from them they have been very flexiable with my son,s program and anything that he has needed hasnt been a problem,

ABA/LOVAS isnt the only programs avaible i belive the CEYAC run The teecch program but sadly i did not see that while my son was there, I hope this answers you question and i am happy to hear your suggestions

thanks Amy

My son never went to CEYAC when it first opened as i didt feel it would benefit him and i feel i made the right desision, but each autistic child is different as are thier parents so must choose the way they feel best.Although there is pressure from various bodies to follow the route education wants, which in turn makes it more difficult for a parent to do what they feel is best.
I am happy with my choices apart from high school.

samf1971
13-Aug-10, 16:53
Thanks for that info, it's very interesting especially about the staff - I've been thinking about CEYAC and read about it before we moved here thinking that it was an excellent service, think I'll have to look around and talk to the staff - my main concern would be how they would cope with a distressed/angry child and also with a runner & if they have plenty of supervision for playtime and how many children per class to staff ratio etc.

What kind of help is there for things like DLA forms - have you found it ok gettin the right rate up here?

Amy-Winehouse
13-Aug-10, 18:38
Thanks for that info, it's very interesting especially about the staff - I've been thinking about CEYAC and read about it before we moved here thinking that it was an excellent service, think I'll have to look around and talk to the staff - my main concern would be how they would cope with a distressed/angry child and also with a runner & if they have plenty of supervision for playtime and how many children per class to staff ratio etc.

What kind of help is there for things like DLA forms - have you found it ok gettin the right rate up here?

Suzie macskill is the autism practioner for caithness and sutherland she,s very easy to talk to she helped me out with DLA forms and wrote to the DLA explaining my sons situation he get,s the higher rate care, her telephone number is on the website under news. And a very good speech therapist is penny martin she is based in thurso if you want her number or email address i can pm you !

I would never put pressure on a parent and push my views onto them as it,s not my buisness what they choose to do regarding education the CEYAC works for some families i sadly just wasnt one of them everyone has there own views on the CEYAC just didnt find it sutibale for my son, as you may find you like it but just didnt work for my son

thanks Amy

bettedaviseyes
13-Aug-10, 20:17
i think it's great what your doing amy for the local folk and your son keep up the good work:)

cuddlepop
14-Aug-10, 17:12
Well done you on taking the time to create a website,i wish I had had half your energy.
Trying desperately to "survive" due to the lack of adult services just now.:~(

With all the HC cut backs to both education and social work departments it looks like it will be left to the parents to support themselfs.:(