PDA

View Full Version : You never know who your going to meet

dunbrake
08-Aug-10, 20:07
I was speaking to my son in Sydney today, he has just started work in a gym, he was chatting to a client he had yesterday morning who said he was from Derby in England my son said he was from Scotland the client answered he was born in Scotland in a place he probably wouldn't have heard of a small town on the North coast called Thurso he couldn't believe it when my son said he was from Wick. Seems you can't go anywhere in the world without meeting someone from Caithness.

elamanya
08-Aug-10, 20:29
met a guy in Kelowna in the interior of BC , he introduced us to his wife exact same story, where you guys from i said a small town in scotland you prob wont know it , name it then she said coz i was born in shore st Thurso !!!! gobsmacked lol

Dadie
08-Aug-10, 21:47
Met a Wicker while in hawaii.
Saw a near neighbour in portugal.
Saw someone I work with in Bulgaria (and I didnt even know they were going there)

Caithness folk get about:lol:

Bazeye
09-Aug-10, 01:32
A couple of years ago I got my haircut just down from the St Clair and the lass who was doing it asked me where i was from. When i told her and said youve probably never heard of it, she said she had. she was from Dalton, about four miles away . When I first visited Thurso and met my OH there we visited one of her pals and when we went in the house, there hanging on the wall was a Barrow AFC plate. Apparently her pals dad was from Barrow and moved there to work and stayed there. Her pal now lives in Aberdeen but every time we visit always have a night out with her sister, who lives in Ormlie lodge and is married to an undertaker. Ring any bells?

Bazeye
09-Aug-10, 01:36
Just remembered this as well. When i was working at vulcan in 1985, when the job was finished, one of my mates decided to stay and ended up marrying a lass from Halkirk and ended up running some sort of hardware shop there. Dave Bond, is he still there, anyone know him?

weedonald
09-Aug-10, 04:04
I have been in Canada over 40 years, most of that time working with the public and have only come across two people from Caithness, both women from Wick. One was visiting from the USA. The other lived in White Rock near Vancouver, she had asked me a question in a normal Canadian sounding accent, but I picked up on the way she said a word that had a j in it. She was surprised when I said your from Wick. She had married a RCAF man who had been stationed in Wick during the war. She was a Bain like mysel...anyway you can take the fowk oot o Caithness but ye canna take ji oot o them..

Mr & Mrs
09-Aug-10, 11:39
Just remembered this as well. When i was working at vulcan in 1985, when the job was finished, one of my mates decided to stay and ended up marrying a lass from Halkirk and ended up running some sort of hardware shop there. Dave Bond, is he still there, anyone know him?

Yes, Dave Bond is still in Halkirk. Although his hardware shop is now closed, you can still purchase goods through him. Fine fellow - smokes on a pipe!

Bazeye
09-Aug-10, 16:37
Yes, Dave Bond is still in Halkirk. Although his hardware shop is now closed, you can still purchase goods through him. Fine fellow - smokes on a pipe!

He used to smoke a pipe and wear a flat cap when he was 18. :lol: