PDA

View Full Version : Boa or Old Mac Horse Boots

lambsie
08-Aug-10, 19:59
Has anybody tried Boa or Old Mac horse boots? I'd like to borrow one to check the fit as these are not cheap! I think a size 1 or 2 in a boa or a 4 or 5 in an old mac is what I need.

Sparrow
10-Aug-10, 10:58
Hi,

I have tried both Boa & Mac boots. Mac are a softer fit but wear quickly and I have found that they come off at speed but that may just be my horse they also fitted higher on the hoof capsual and rubbed a little. The Boa boots feel harder when you fit them but I find they do the job well, wear well and stay on. Unfortunately I cant help you with borrowing one as my horses size is 7 on a Boa so a wee bit large!

Best of luck with finding something that suits.
:)

highbury
10-Aug-10, 12:09
also can't help with the loan, as in Kent, but concur, the Boa seem to be harder wearing

unbridled
10-Aug-10, 21:36
Neither - we use Easyboots and find they are great! We use them on our Coast to Coast riding holidays for all of our horses - as long as they fit the horse properly, they work really well and stay put at speed, with the possible exception of on the beach when they get too much sand in them.

We use Epics at the moment, but have just started trialling the Edge and Glove models, both of which seem even better.... If you need more info, please feel free to contact me - we currently use them on about 16 horses and have done for the last 3 years, so we know a bit about them!

We like the Easyboots because they fit lower on the hoof and don't rub as much as the Old Macs and Boas - both of which we have also tried.

Kindest regards

Jan
Highlands Unbridled

lambsie
12-Aug-10, 17:27
The last time my horse lost a shoe I was charged £58.75 for a single shoe by Mr Hedley & Co. My farrier only comes over once a month so I thought I would try a boot this time.
I found a very good website thesaddleryshop.co.uk which sell or hires all manner of horse boots. It has detailed advice on fitting, measuring etc. I decided to try an easyboot as you can buy them singly & am delighted to report it fits & stays on in both gutters water & sand! The easyboot set me back £30 including postage from the above company via ebay.
Many thanks to those who replied. I may well go for boots over metal shoes in future.