PDA

View Full Version : Thurso Gala/Music & Dance Show (merged threads)

Mr P Cannop
08-Aug-10, 08:42
what did everyone think of the Gala last night did any one take any photos and video ??

Ash
08-Aug-10, 13:26
i have to admit i was not overly impressed.... the people that took part tho did an amazing job.... i was not happy with a volunteer who was extremely rude to me and my wee girl

ShelleyCowie
08-Aug-10, 15:46
I agree with Ash, it was a let down but well done to the people who took part!

I really expected a few more floats than there was though. Quite disappointing this year.

bustergirl
08-Aug-10, 15:46
i was sick and missed it :( but my little sister and brother went they enjoyed it

Mr P Cannop
08-Aug-10, 15:55
i have to admit i was not overly impressed.... the people that took part tho did an amazing job.... i was not happy with a volunteer who was extremely rude to me and my wee girl

who was it who was rude to you ??

rangers1873
08-Aug-10, 17:09
how many floats were there

ShelleyCowie
08-Aug-10, 17:21
how many floats were there

Think it was about 5 :confused

*Martin*
08-Aug-10, 19:31
I thought the floats on were quite good as were the foot collectors. My only gripe with the foot collectors was that the majority off them would just walk past rather than coming to the kids so they could give money! Apart from the little lass that was dressed as a stacking doll with her mother. She came right up and said "Can I have a drop off money pleeeeeeeease"

I didn't think there was a great turnout off people there to watch the gala. We stood just down from Robins chippy so there was plenty space.

I thought the "stalls" in the precinct were pretty poor to be honest!

All in all I thought it was a good night and the kids loved it which is the main thing!

Thurso Town Improvements
09-Aug-10, 08:33
The Gala was brilliant like all events it will have ups and downs. The amount of Floats/Foot Collectors and stalls is determined by the public, we can only stage the event and offer the Community to join us.

We plea every year for businesses, family, friends etc do Floats and have a £50 discretion award to encourage people.

Why not rally some people up to do a Float for next year 6th August 2011?

I am really sorry that a volunteer was rude, please mail info@thurso.org (info@thurso.org) or call 896103 so I can have a chance to look into this and resolve it for another year.

It is an extremely difficult job to try and keep the public safe and the kids go too close to the Floats and the marshals get a lot of hassle.

Well done to everyone that took part in the Parade you did us Proud!

We will start counting the money soon as the small committee were busy running all the events on Sunday, which were all well attended.

Any takers to join the committee for next year?

Thank you to everyone who supported us. Doreen

saba
09-Aug-10, 09:17
Maybe not so many floats - but it was definately quality instead of quantity. None of those floats were "last minute" jobs - they must have taken a long time to put together. Well done everyone!!!!
PS Could some of the money collected be used to up-date the trampolenes near the swimming pool? (The play area looks fantastic so far and will be a great asset to Thurso however the trampolenes look awful in comparison.)

Dorrie
09-Aug-10, 15:01
I was very impressed with the quality of the costumes of the foot collectors and particularly liked the Russian Dolls. The Dickens float was brilliant and all in all we (and the grandchildren) had a good time, thanks to all who made it the night it was. :)

Thurso Town Improvements
09-Aug-10, 17:00
Maybe not so many floats - but it was definately quality instead of quantity. None of those floats were "last minute" jobs - they must have taken a long time to put together. Well done everyone!!!!
PS Could some of the money collected be used to up-date the trampolenes near the swimming pool? (The play area looks fantastic so far and will be a great asset to Thurso however the trampolenes look awful in comparison.)

The Gala does not make a lot of money and is supported by fundraising prior to it. For example Gala night takes in over £4000 but by the time you pay prizes, insurance, advertising, hire of kit that is long gone and sometimes £2000 on top of that.

The trampolines are getting looked into. Don't forget we also have to fund the Christmas lights, grotto and other things as well. The more you support us the more we can do!

*Martin*
09-Aug-10, 23:35
Not long back from the talent display in the legion. It was absolutely fantastic and really hilighted the amount of talent in the county!

My personal favourite was .Rush break dancing but I'm maybe a little biased since my daughter was performing with them!

It's a shame so many people cleared off at the interval when the band were setting up. They did a good job especially with The Simpsons.

The biggest surprise for me was the gaelic act at the end. There was a young lass singin and playin the fiddle and she was amazin! Then there was a wee lass playing a drum that was almost the size of her!

All in all a great night!

Tubthumper
10-Aug-10, 09:36
Went to the Thurso Gala Youth Showcase at the legion last night. Great to see the talent we have in our youngsters, who grind away learning everything from street dancing to ballet, playing the oboe to gaelic singing.

A particular well done to the adults that make it all possible! :)

Corrigall51
10-Aug-10, 09:37
Does anyone know who else was taking photos at the parade and the judging? There were certainly lots of cameras around, but not sure where we an find the photos? :confused:

Mr P Cannop
10-Aug-10, 11:28
bill fernie was there

ter21wat
10-Aug-10, 12:08
I missed the gala due to being away at a wedding but think the reason for a poor turn out would most likely have been due the fact it was on the same weekend as Belladrum - half the county was there instead! Maybe next year the gala could be held on a different weekend as its unlikely to be able to compete with a major semi-local festival?? Just a thought, dont know how viable it is. ;)

SunsetSong
10-Aug-10, 13:36
Agree with above. Think the fact it was on the same weekend as Belladrum did make an impact. Not just on crowd turn out but its generally some of the younger folk who put a float together and alot of them would have been away. Think its great having the discretionary fund there to encourage people to put on more floats. But we do need folk to take part every year. Doreen and the committee do a fantastic job but its the one area that they don't have much control over - how many floats there will be and who all will turn out dressed up. It is alot, alot of work to put a float together - I'm still shattered after doing ours and its now Tuesday! Do know that we wouldn't have managed ours without the very good assistance and advice on building it from the friendly farmer we got our trailer from and a certain person's hubby helping us out! With such good quality floats from some folk its a daunting task trying to put something together and make it look half decent!! Maybe the committee could look into gathering a pool of folk who would be prepared to help put people's ideas into action and give advice on how to build things for floats, even maybe apprentices from local firms - might just give folk who are daunted at doing it a push in the right direction! I would certainly volunteer but given my skills lie in paper machie i might not be much help!!!

Thurso Town Improvements
10-Aug-10, 15:07
The Committee has voted not to change the date we want stability. No matter where you go you will hit something, Orkney show, County shows other Galas etc. The floats have dropped every year even Wick who normally has 15 plus dropped to 7.

I am after some ideas for a new award, something like best thrown together last minute float or we tried so it’s more the fun factor than a professional float.

As an organisation we don't get involved in anything to do with the making or hiring of floats it’s all to do with red tape and the legal side of things. Doreen

Moira
10-Aug-10, 19:29
Does anyone know who else was taking photos at the parade and the judging? There were certainly lots of cameras around, but not sure where we an find the photos? :confused:

Loads of photos from Bill on the Caithness.org frontpage :-
http://www.caithness.org/

*Martin*
10-Aug-10, 22:35
Just a quick video clip of Rush doing the business my wife just seen on facebook

Clicky Me (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQGttuzo2QM)

gollach1
11-Aug-10, 22:38
For anyone who missed Saturday's Gala.

I see in this week's Caithness Courier that a DVD has been made of the

Crowning Ceremony, Walkers and the Parade of floats.

The DVD is available from Newsbeat and Cairngorm Windows , Thurso

There are also photos on Caithness.org