PDA

View Full Version : A perplexed parent resigns and becomes a child again.

Billy Boy
05-Jul-06, 21:07
I hereby tender my resignation as an adult. I have decided to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again.
I want to go to McDonnald's and think that it's a four star restaurant. I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.
I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them. I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.
I want to return to a time when life was simple. When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care. All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.
I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible.
I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.
I want to live simply again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.
I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.
So....here's my chequebook and my car keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements.
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause, "Tag! You're It." ;) :lol:

changilass
05-Jul-06, 21:15
I hereby tender my resignation as an adult. I have decided to accept the responsibilities of an 8 year old again.
I want to go to McDonnald's and think that it's a four star restaurant. I want to sail sticks across a fresh mud puddle and make ripples with rocks.
I want to think M&Ms are better than money because you can eat them. I want to lie under a big oak tree and run a lemonade stand with my friends on a hot summer day.
I want to return to a time when life was simple. When all you knew were colors, multiplication tables, and nursery rhymes, but that didn't bother you, because you didn't know what you didn't know and you didn't care. All you knew was to be happy because you were blissfully unaware of all the things that should make you worried or upset.
I want to think the world is fair. That everyone is honest and good. I want to believe that anything is possible.
I want to be oblivious to the complexities of life and be overly excited by the little things again.
I want to live simply again. I don't want my day to consist of computer crashes, mountains of paperwork, depressing news, how to survive more days in the month than there is money in the bank, doctor bills, gossip, illness, and loss of loved ones.
I want to believe in the power of smiles, hugs, a kind word, truth, justice, peace, dreams, the imagination, mankind, and making angels in the snow.
So....here's my chequebook and my car keys, my credit card bills and my 401K statements.
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause, "Tag! You're It." ;)

If only it were that easy:lol:

Billy Boy
05-Jul-06, 21:16
If only it were that easy:lol:
a can dream lol, a can dream :lol:

taylor.4
05-Jul-06, 21:22
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause, "Tag! You're It." ;) :lol:It would be great if we could do that.

katarina
05-Jul-06, 22:05
I am officially resigning from adulthood. And if you want discuss this further, you'll have to catch me first, cause, "Tag! You're It." ;) :lol:

You want to be one of the lucky kids that are loved and protected. There are thousands you wouldn't want to be.

orkneylass
05-Jul-06, 22:06
We all have more choices than we think

Billy Boy
05-Jul-06, 22:13
You want to be one of the lucky kids that are loved and protected. There are thousands you wouldn't want to be.

it was ment to be light hearted, i am aware there are a lot of underprivillaged kids that are unloved and unwanted my parents were foster parents and i saw a lot of poor children pass through our home some as young as 6 months who had suffered broken bones. so i do know its a sad sad world we live in :(

pultneytooner
05-Jul-06, 22:39
You want to be one of the lucky kids that are loved and protected. There are thousands you wouldn't want to be. I think we would all say a prayer for those kids that are underprivileged, mistreated, whatever but that's not what this thread is about, as already said it is just a light-hearted thread about someone wishing to go back to a more innocent time in their life, don't spoil it.

katarina
05-Jul-06, 22:43
An I want to ride home on a cole with a horse pulling it,and long sausages of hay roll out behind it, eat tares, hide in a stook till they come to fork it on to the cart, help sort the hay on a gilt while the men fork it up, run my fingers through the corn coming out in a river from the thresher, toast my bread on a fork by a peat fire, and spread it with freshly churned butter, wash it down with warm milk, straight from the cow (yeuk, I always hated that milk) wash in a tin bath by the fire, be lulled to sleep by the hiss of a tilly lamp, on a new caff seck, cuddled under a hand made patchwork quilt, while a cat purrs at my feet.
Drink clear fresh water from the stroop, sail on the skiff, fish in my granny's cobble, play in the cairn quarry, eat lobster and crab till I'm seek o' them, lie on my back in a field of long grass seeing shapes in the clouds above. racing down a hill in a home made hurley. playing rounders. Playing darts (with a ball) playing hoppy. playing skips.
Play word games in a school where the teacher snores in her chair by the wood stove, and if you remember all that, then you'll know where i'm coming from.
sweet dreams.
What will out kids remember?

Marty McFly
05-Jul-06, 23:23
Got this sent to me recently...kinda sums up how things have changed...

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!
First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.
They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.
We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!
We played football and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!
The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

Billy Boy
06-Jul-06, 17:48
Got this sent to me recently...kinda sums up how things have changed...

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO WERE BORN IN THE

1930's 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's !!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.
Then after that trauma, our baby cribs were covered with bright colored lead-based paints.
We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.
As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags.
Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.
We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.
We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because......
WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!!
We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.
No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.
We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.
We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 99 channels on cable, no video tape movies, no surround sound, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or Internet chat rooms..........WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!
We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no
lawsuits from these accidents.
We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.
We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays,
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just yelled for them!

We played football and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!
This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!
The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned
HOW TO
DEAL WITH IT ALL!
And YOU are one of them!
CONGRATULATIONS!
You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated our lives for our own good.
and while you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!

what happened to change it all so much, we were all so much happier in those days, pity we cant turn back time ;)

Cedric Farthsbottom III
06-Jul-06, 22:47
what happened to change it all so much, we were all so much happier in those days, pity we cant turn back time ;)
[/center]

I'm already the biggest bairn in the hoose.Flick ma bogies,draw cartoons and watch the cartoons on the telly wi' ma boys.Adulthood can wait for me!!!!:lol: