PDA

View Full Version : Locally made honey

Chobbersjnr
05-Jul-06, 19:20
who/where produces honey locally??

apart from the obvious "a local bee" there must be threadsters who know & if so maybe you could PM me or post on this thread...........

thanks all
Cjnr:eyes

erli
05-Jul-06, 19:32
There is a place in Freswick. Mr Ingles is the name I think, He will be in the phone book.

connieb19
05-Jul-06, 19:34
Have a look here Chobbers...:D

http://forum.caithness.org/showthread.php?t=11152&highlight=honey

janette
05-Jul-06, 21:42
Members of the Olrig and District Beekeepers are the local honey producers, or their bees. As I said on another post, the honey was in short supply last year, but the bees are working well just now, and hopefully there will be honey in August/ September.

pm for more info, unable to advertise on this site.

Yvonne
06-Jul-06, 00:54
Great news as the family and I were discussing this topic today before I read the postings. One of my daughters is suffering badly with hay fever and sinusitis :~( and has tried organic honey to no avail, but apparently if you use local honey and treat like with like (homoeopathic principles) it ought to reduce her symptoms considerably. Do hope we can purchase some local honey soon!

DrSzin
06-Jul-06, 01:06
...if you use local honey and treat like with like (homoeopathic principles) it ought to reduce her symptoms considerably.Thanks for the tip Yvonne.

If it works then I might be able to clear my ears and nose at long last.

If it doesn't then... Ach, who cares? I'll have enjoyed the honey anyway. :D

JAWS
06-Jul-06, 01:27
Dr.S you have my sympathy. I wish I had known about the honey many years ago.
My hay fever ceased to bother my a few years ago. (Apparently it has a habit of doing that so there's hope for you sufferers.)
Summer used to be a misery in the season. Constant sneezing, runny and sore nose, burning eyes and worst of all, the itch deep down in the ear that you just could not get at.

The most annoying part was that so many people found the constant sneezing to be a quite entertaining comedy act. It was sheer pleasure on such occasions when you could find them in a dark corner where there were no witnesses. The squeals of agony from them almost made the suffering worthwhile. (Tip for the afflicted, never make them bleed and never leave bruises, the will only make a fuss about it to get sympathy!)

From personal experience, if it works for the ears then let everybody know, you will gain eternal gratitude from the itchy ears sufferers.

Yvonne
06-Jul-06, 01:38
DrSzin,
Your welcome! With such a cheery disposition you are half way to getting better already. Aaaaatishoooo! :)

JAWS
07-Jul-06, 01:56
Me and my boasting! Guess who got a fit of the sneezing today?

changilass
07-Jul-06, 01:58
Me and my boasting! Guess who got a fit of the sneezing today?

Spoke too soon, poor wee thing:( , hope you feel better soon :D

canuck
07-Jul-06, 06:43
May I suggest caution when using honey for allergies. My son is allergic to clover and if the bees have fed on clover then he reacts when he eats the honey. This even extends to honey-nut cheerios and other honey sweetened products.
This is one mother's experience. The honey treatment which you suggest sounds like a great idea and I hope that it works for you DrSzin, Jaws and others giving it a try.

Liz
07-Jul-06, 13:53
You can get really good local honey in the newsagents in Dempster Street.It is made by Northern Apiaries (tel no 01955 604117).

I can't really say how good it is for hayfever etc as I don't take eat enough.
I have heard that it helps though but don't think it would work if tree pollen or grass affects you?

To all my fellow sneezers,wheezers, bunged uppers and swollen eyers I extend my sympathy (Jaws hope your bout was just a temporary relapse!!:~()

I have quite a few allergies which badly affect my asthma so I was interested in a machine called Medinose wich Dr Chris Steele talked about on 'This Morning'. It has been scientifically proven to work on allergies, sinusitis, rhinitis etc

Only problem is the price which is about £80!!!! However if it works it would be worth it and better than taking drugs. Also it has a 30 day money back trial.

It is available at www.anhealth.co.uk (http://www.anhealth.co.uk)

I think I will raid the piggy bank and get it next month so could let you know if it works?

Bill Fernie
07-Jul-06, 19:25
Caithness Beekeepers page here
http://www.caithness.org/community/clubs/olriganddistrictbeekeepersassociation.htm

It is also linked on a page in the link section on Bees
http://www.caithness.org/links/bees.htm

Always try our Google search if you think we might have something you are looking for.

pink
07-Jul-06, 20:02
Thank you very much jaws I never knew that the itch in the ear was due to hayfever .
I am not bad with it only a bitty stuffed up but chee the itchy ear is driving me mad . Well at least I know why I have it now. Any tips jaws on how to reach it ??

janette
08-Aug-06, 11:47
local honey is now on sale - pm if you need more info on where/when

Kenn
09-Aug-06, 01:26
That's the whole point of eating honey Canuck but it must be local to the area that you live in so that your immune system builds a resistance to the pollen that causes what ever form of irritation.
Initially there may be a reaction but if you have a small quantity each day then eventually one's own body defenses will build up so that when what ever pollen causing the irritation is in the air it will mean a less violent reaction.

George Brims
09-Aug-06, 07:21
A skeptical note is in order here. Bees make honey from flowers that are pollinated by - bees! - and their competition. Hay fever is mostly caused by airborne pollen, produced by plants (such as, but not limited to, grasses) pollinated by the wind. So how is eating the honey going to help you get used to the pollen causing your sneezes? Unless you leave the jar out in the open air with the lid off it isn't going to contain the offending type of pollen. If you do the wasps will eat it anyway.

I am always suspicious of any remedy touted as conforming to the "homeopathic principle". Homeopathy is quackery, plain and simple.

Not that there aren't plain simple remedies that don't require drugs. A doctor (a real one) gave me a useful bit of advice years ago for hay fever - keep your beard trimmed and wash it several times a day as it traps dust! Maybe that's how the honey works as it makes you wash your face!

Ricco
09-Aug-06, 08:29
A skeptical note is in order here. Bees make honey from flowers that are pollinated by - bees! - and their competition. Hay fever is mostly caused by airborne pollen, produced by plants (such as, but not limited to, grasses) pollinated by the wind. So how is eating the honey going to help you get used to the pollen causing your sneezes? Unless you leave the jar out in the open air with the lid off it isn't going to contain the offending type of pollen. If you do the wasps will eat it anyway.

I am always suspicious of any remedy touted as conforming to the "homeopathic principle". Homeopathy is quackery, plain and simple.

Not that there aren't plain simple remedies that don't require drugs. A doctor (a real one) gave me a useful bit of advice years ago for hay fever - keep your beard trimmed and wash it several times a day as it traps dust! Maybe that's how the honey works as it makes you wash your face!

HI, George. When the plants produce their nectar (aka honey) some of the chemicals, such as auxins and gibberlins (plant hormones) and such probably leach in tiny amounts into the nectar. This is then concentrated in the process of conversion to honey, but is still minute compared to pure pollen. I don't think it would be a good idea to use royal jelly (another bee product but tis one is concentrated pollen), but can see some mileage in using honey - bit like using a dead virus to vaccinate people against a disease.