PDA

View Full Version : Help with javascript.

2little2late
23-Jun-04, 22:21
Can anyone help me with a javascript problem please?

I am running windows xp home, I have the latest version of norton anti virus.
The problem I am having is that Javascript cannot be displayed. The settings are okay on Norton as Javascript is enabled as it is in my internet options.
An example is that, on Caithness.org front page the title bar with the drop down list is not showing. I have had my pc into local retailers and they checked everything and it was fine. The software is okay as it has been checked.
Does anyone one have any suggestions as to what the problem could be? :confused :confused

I would be grateful for any advice.
Thanks.

Mr P Cannop
24-Jun-04, 08:49
am having the same probs on my windows xp computer

t
24-Jun-04, 09:28
Try this

Step 1 From Internet Explorer Click On The Tools Menu
Step 2 Click On Internet Options
Step 3 Click On The Security Tab
Step 4 Click On The Custom Level Button
Step 5 Scroll Down Until You Come To "Java Permission's" And Make Sure That "High Safety" Is Selected
Step 6 Scroll Down Agian Until You Come To "Scripting" And Make Sure That "Active Scripting" Is Enabled
Step 7 Scroll Down Agian Until You Come To "Allow Paste Operations Via Script" And Make Sure That This Is Enabled. Then Check "Scripting Of Java Applets" Also Make Sure That This Is Enabled.
Step 8 Click OK
Step 8 Click Apply
Step 8 Click OK You Should Now Find That you Are Able To View Java Scripts & Applets.

Lots of other things you can try but personaly the site should allow for this type of thing and setup other access for this, but thats caithness.org

Let me know if it works

Anonymous
24-Jun-04, 09:46
Are you using norton antispam?

Mr P Cannop
24-Jun-04, 17:47
hi niall

am only have probs with the drop down list on caithness.org

2little2late
24-Jun-04, 20:25
Try this

Step 1 From Internet Explorer Click On The Tools Menu
Step 2 Click On Internet Options
Step 3 Click On The Security Tab
Step 4 Click On The Custom Level Button
Step 5 Scroll Down Until You Come To "Java Permission's" And Make Sure That "High Safety" Is Selected
Step 6 Scroll Down Agian Until You Come To "Scripting" And Make Sure That "Active Scripting" Is Enabled
Step 7 Scroll Down Agian Until You Come To "Allow Paste Operations Via Script" And Make Sure That This Is Enabled. Then Check "Scripting Of Java Applets" Also Make Sure That This Is Enabled.
Step 8 Click OK
Step 8 Click Apply
Step 8 Click OK You Should Now Find That you Are Able To View Java Scripts & Applets.

Lots of other things you can try but personaly the site should allow for this type of thing and setup other access for this, but thats caithness.org

Let me know if it works

These settings are already as you have said.

Yes I am using Norton anti spam, Niall

Gizmo
24-Jun-04, 22:45
It's Norton thats your problem, i had the same problem untill i uninstalled Norton, Norton is a very flawed piece of software, try someting like 'AVG' for anti-virus protection and 'Zone Alarm' for Internet security, iv'e had no problems with those.

Giz

Anonymous
25-Jun-04, 10:52
ditto what gizmo said :)

Sygate Personal Firewall is another you might try.

Mr P Cannop
25-Jun-04, 16:25
what does flawed mean ??

2little2late
25-Jun-04, 17:23
I've heard Macaffee is good but, will I get same probs with this? If not, then I can take Norton back for a refund.

Anonymous
25-Jun-04, 17:48
as far as I am aware, its only norton anti spam thats the problem due to fact that it treats almost all non-embedded javascript as pop-up advertising.

Norton AntiVirus on the other hand has always been fine for me.

Best thing to do is decide if you actually want the features provided by AntiSpam. Norton AntiVirus is good virus protection and AVG is a great freebee alternative.

As for a refund, I doubt it, its doing exactly what they programmed it to do, make you paranoid and mess up yer surfing experience. If you regularly visit adult or warez websites then I would stick with AntiSpam as there you are likely to find all the stuff that its designed to deal with.

There are lots of ways to block things from your PC, especially material from unwanted websites or domains. This site ( http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html ) gives good info on the hosts file for example.

As for firewalls, I recommend Symantic Personal as I said. I've never heard of anyone actually recommending ZoneAlarm before so mabee they fixed the million and 1 things people hated about it :)

Overall though, and I know its asking a lot, I would really prefer that people had a basic understanding of the functions of a particular peice of software before they install it. I know that before I install anything these days I like to look through the support forum (or search for "software-name problems" in google) to see if there is going to be anything that upsets my system.

2little2late
25-Jun-04, 20:40
Before I had Norton I had AVG free edition and Zone Alarm free version. I find the two exceptionally good but, the only thing with Zone alarm is that the free version doesn't stop pop ups. If I disabled Norton firewall and ran Zone alarm would norton still stop pop ups?

Mr P Cannop
25-Jun-04, 22:21
is Zone Alarm ok with windows XP ??

Doolally
25-Jun-04, 22:23
An easy way of stopping pop-ups is to install the Google Toolbar. toolbar.google.com. There are others ie. Yahoo, Lycos, etc, but I personally have found these to be riddled with bugs and small annoying quirks.

luskentyre
26-Jun-04, 08:13
The problem could also be WindowsXP itself. The java engine (Microsofts own) that is shipped with XP is not the best - you'd be better downloading the sun java engine at the following place:

http://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

(be warned - it's a large download - approx 17Mb if I remember rightly)

2little2late
26-Jun-04, 22:42
I've just disabled ad blocking and hey presto! Trouble is i'll be pestered with adware won't I? When I go into advanced settings on Norton to allow websites I am asked for HTML string. Perhaps Niall could help me with this. Then if I turn on adblocking again i'll get the dropdown list on the front page hopefully.

Anonymous
27-Jun-04, 07:54
The adblocking you're describing, will only stop banner ads and popups, it will have very little control over spyware/adware, but Norton AntiVirus or AdAware should cope with this.

I'm not really sure what details you are looking for to "unblock" caithness.org. The help file (or manual) should give a guide?

2little2late
27-Jun-04, 21:30
I can make do with disabling ad blocking as I have Ad-Aware 6 removal tool anyway.

I would like to thank everyone for all their help.

Cheers.

Donnie
28-Jun-04, 13:57
I like the pop up blocker in the Mozilla products. I use both Mozilla and Mozilla Firefox. For Firewall I use Symantec Personal, for anti-virus I use Sophos AV and for Spyware/Adware cleaner I use Webroot Spy Sweeper. There is always someone out there to recommend every piece of software. The best thing to do is read up any any potential piece of software and find out if it meets your needs. There are unlimited amounts of good easy to find forums out there that have raised potential problems with all types of software. As said before it's always an idea to look it up before you install.

codex
28-Jun-04, 16:04
Mozilla firefox is the browser of the future.
Id not ever use, The not so stable microsoft internet explorer

Microsoft has issued advice about the loophole

Users are being told to avoid using Internet Explorer until Microsoft patches a serious security hole in it.
The loophole is being exploited to open a backdoor on a PC that could let criminals take control of a machine.
The threat of infection is so high because the code created to exploit the loophole has somehow been placed on many popular websites.
Experts say the list of compromised sites involves banks, auction and price comparison firms and is growing fast.
Serious problem
The net watchdog, the US Computer Emergency Reponse Center (Cert), and the net security monitor, the Internet Storm Center, have both issued warnings about the combined threat of compromised websites and browser loophole.
Cert said: "Users should be aware that any website, even those that may be trusted by the user, may be affected by this activity and thus contain potentially malicious code."
In its round-up of the threat the Internet Storm Center bluntly stated that users should if possible "use a browser other then MS Internet Explorer until the current vulnerabilities in MSIE are patched."

CHECKING FOR INFECTION

Click the Start button and then click on Search
Make sure you choose the option to look through all files and folders
Search for files called Kk32.dll and Surf.dat
If infected use up to date anti-virus software to remove the malicious code
Security programme manager at Microsoft's security response centre, Stephen Toulouse, told BBC News Online: "When threats happen, we mobilise instantly."We post warnings, which we did last night, and tell customers what the issue is, "whether they are affected, what steps they can take to prevent it."
He said Microsoft was aware that operating systems had vulnerabilities, but added that it was an industry-wide problem.
Mr Toulouse advised users to set their internet security zone to high and to run good anti-virus software.
It is unclear how the malicious code that exploits the weakness in Microsoft's Internet Explorer has been inserted on popular websites.
What is known is that any Windows 2000 Server that does not have the MS04-011 security update installed and is running Internet Information Server could be at risk.
The virulent Sasser worm exploited loopholes closed by this update so many servers are likely to be patched against the problem.Infected servers are adding a malicious chunk of Javascript to all the web, gif and jpg files served up to anyone browsing the sites they host.
When loading on a browsing PC, this chunk of code might trigger a Windows error message.
Once downloaded the code redirects a browser to a Russian website which tries to install a program that opens a backdoor into the PC.
Some net service firms have started blocking access to this Russian site.
Check for infection
Anti-virus firms are now working on putting detectors for the chunk of code in to their scanning software.
St Basil's cathedral in Moscow, BBC
A Russian website is spreading the malicious code
Security firm Symantec said the malicious code was not widespread and did little damage.
The reason that the server/browser combination has been created remains a mystery.
Some speculate that it is the work of spammers looking to create yet another network of compliant PCs that can be used as proxies to spread junk mail.
Microsoft has issued advice to consumers and web administrators about dealing with the problem.
So far the server/browser combination has not been given a single name. In its warning about the problem Microsoft calls it download.ject but others, such as F-Secure, are calling it Scob.

2little2late
28-Jun-04, 21:43
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/em/-/1/hi/technology/3847277.stm