PDA

View Full Version : Who owns The Bignold Park then?

scorrie
05-Aug-10, 22:48
I made a formal enquiry to The Highland Council, under the Freedom Of Information Act, but they have failed to respond within the given time-scale. I contacted the information officer in Inverness and was told "I don't know why you haven't had any response". Terrific service eh?

Anyway, what do people think regarding who actually owns the park?

The people of Wick.

The Highland Council.

Don't know or don't care.

Fly
05-Aug-10, 22:54
The Bignold Park was given to the people of Wick, long before the thieves (sorry Highland Council) existed. Anyway I would say that is your answer, if the council really owned it you would have heard from them straight away.http://forum.caithness.org/images/icons/icon8.gif

gollach
05-Aug-10, 23:02
I made a formal enquiry to The Highland Council, under the Freedom Of Information Act, but they have failed to respond within the given time-scale. I contacted the information officer in Inverness and was told "I don't know why you haven't had any response". Terrific service eh?

What's the next step, then? Can the Highland Council be forced into disclosure?

Whitewater
05-Aug-10, 23:12
Have to agree with Fly, the Bignold park was gifted to the people of Wick as a recreational area and that is what it has been used for ever since.

Punk_Bassist
05-Aug-10, 23:27
I would recommend that you go to the solicitors Georgesons who can provide you with a copy of title deeds.There will be a charge for this some ten years it was £15 they were surprised when I asked for this,and I am pretty sure they contacted The Council before I would receive a copy.But you have got your rights.I threatened to contact the Scottish Office and was given a copy within a day.The strange thing the detail I required was missing from the paperwork,the info had gone missing.I still wonder why.This was to do with a similar arguement in relation to the rights of the Harmsworth Park.I am sorry I know longer have the copy,or I would of been able to assist in the question.But it was left to the public of Wick,but the council took over in the 60,s and maintained and sorted the relevant paperwork out I think to take it over.Cannot mind the full details.Hope this might help.

Mad1man
05-Aug-10, 23:59
There should be a 'land registry' type entry for it somewhere as well, but I 'm not up on where you access info like that or how - good luck.

Kevin Milkins
06-Aug-10, 00:21
Who owns the Highland Council ?

ducati
06-Aug-10, 10:22
There should be a 'land registry' type entry for it somewhere as well, but I 'm not up on where you access info like that or how - good luck.

This info should be available from Registers of Scotland http://www.ros.gov.uk/

PantsMAN
06-Aug-10, 10:43
I made a formal enquiry to The Highland Council, under the Freedom Of Information Act, but they have failed to respond within the given time-scale.

So, what is 'the given time-scale'?

Shabbychic
06-Aug-10, 12:29
Who owns the Highland Council ?

Could that be Tesco? :D

scorrie
06-Aug-10, 14:04
So, what is 'the given time-scale'?

Once the request has been received, the authority has to respond within 20 working days. If the request is considered to be complicated the authority can ask for more time and the deadline is extended to 40 days BUT they have to write and tell you this within the original 20 days. If they are not willing to provide the information, say for the Public Interest, they likewise have to write to you and inform you of this within the 20 days.

scorrie
06-Aug-10, 14:07
I would recommend that you go to the solicitors Georgesons who can provide you with a copy of title deeds.There will be a charge for this some ten years it was £15 they were surprised when I asked for this,and I am pretty sure they contacted The Council before I would receive a copy.But you have got your rights.I threatened to contact the Scottish Office and was given a copy within a day.The strange thing the detail I required was missing from the paperwork,the info had gone missing.I still wonder why.This was to do with a similar arguement in relation to the rights of the Harmsworth Park.I am sorry I know longer have the copy,or I would of been able to assist in the question.But it was left to the public of Wick,but the council took over in the 60,s and maintained and sorted the relevant paperwork out I think to take it over.Cannot mind the full details.Hope this might help.

Thanks for your reply. I realise that it is not expensive to get a copy of the deeds but The Highland Council should be providing the information free of charge. I am wondering why they won't supply the info?

scorrie
06-Aug-10, 14:09
This info should be available from Registers of Scotland http://www.ros.gov.uk/

Thanks, as I said in another post, I expect The Highland Council to supply the information under the terms of the Freedom of Information act. Why are they keeping this information from me?

PantsMAN
06-Aug-10, 14:29
Thanks, as I said in another post, I expect The Highland Council to supply the information under the terms of the Freedom of Information act. Why are they keeping this information from me?

Given the title of the thread and the poll outcome so far, could it be that they are having difficulty finding the answer to the question? ... Just a thought.

scorrie
06-Aug-10, 14:45
Given the title of the thread and the poll outcome so far, could it be that they are having difficulty finding the answer to the question? ... Just a thought.

No, the Highland Council know full well, as will our local councillors. This will have been meticulously planned, in discussion with all their legal team, and any objections will have been anticipated and solutions sought well in advance. Even if they did not know the answer to my question, the terms of the act clearly state that they have to contact me with their findings within the 20 days.

Fly
06-Aug-10, 23:54

I believe it is called "The Register of Sasines" and it is held in Edinburgh, in Register House possibly.
(Scot's Law)

scorrie
08-Aug-10, 14:58
The Highland Council still haven't responded to request but, as they used to say in an old TV advert, "I know a man who can" and he didn't charge a fee.

I am closing the thread now, as there is little point in voting when the answer is known. Thanks to all who replied and/or took the time to vote.

Drum roll........., Ladies and Gentlemen.......the owner of the Bignold Park is.........

The Highland Council.

The park was not left to the people of Wick, it was left to The Provost, Magistrates and Councillors of Wick. Anyone wishing to protest should be using that as a starting point.