PDA

View Full Version : flights to glasgow??????

onecalledk
05-Aug-10, 16:07
hi

just wondered if it was at all possible to fly from inverness to glasgow ? have googled flights and can find nothing which probably means the answer to my question is that you cant.

I find it hard to believe that Wick - Edinburgh is the ONLY way to get to the central belt by plane????

You can go with BA inverness to glasgow but flight takes 7 hours ;) according to their website and you change planes in ...... London ...

my next question of course is what is the point of inverness airport ?

K

Serenity
05-Aug-10, 16:18
I did it when I was a kid with BA, dad used his airmiles, dropped me and my siblings with BA, we were then looked after by BA staff until we met grandparents at the other end. Dread to think of the costs involved if it wasn't for the business airmiles.
I think it was more for the novelty value though. By the time you have driven out to the airport, checked in, security, boarding room etc, the train you could have got would be in Glasgow already.
Was excellent when I flew to London recently though.
Sorry no help lol.

Serenity
05-Aug-10, 16:24
Anyway probably down to simple supply and demand. The fewer passengers there are, the higher the costs would be; hence higher fares, even fewer passengers, repeat. That is my guess. Well that's for Wick. For Inverness I just don't see how it would be quicker to fly.
Still Inverness useful for London/Manchester and a few foreign and chartered flights.

onecalledk
05-Aug-10, 16:57
Anyway probably down to simple supply and demand. The fewer passengers there are, the higher the costs would be; hence higher fares, even fewer passengers, repeat. That is my guess. Well that's for Wick. For Inverness I just don't see how it would be quicker to fly.
Still Inverness useful for London/Manchester and a few foreign and chartered flights.

It takes 4 hours to drive to Glasgow, well 3 and half I suppose, depending on traffic. You can go Wick Edinburgh in 3/4 hour, book in an hour before so what 1 3/4 hours to Edinburgh. Inverness to Glasgow would take less time, there USED to be flights cos I checked them out, all of a sudden there are a lot less flights out of the same airport....
K

Thumper
05-Aug-10, 17:50
Couldnt you just fly Wick to Edinburgh and then travel through to Glasgow if time is the problem? Wouldnt take long to nip through from Edinburgh! There used to be flights but lack of demand stopped them as it wasnt viable and I suppose considering carbon footprints etc there really isnt a need to fly to two cities that are only a few miles apart......

laguna2
05-Aug-10, 21:35
Approximately 55 miles apart .. I wouldn't say that is a few miles!

Thumper
06-Aug-10, 07:45
55 miles is nothing really,certainly not far enough to fly to,and shorter distance than from here to inverness to then fly anyway............

laguna2
06-Aug-10, 08:02
55 miles is nothing really,certainly not far enough to fly to,and shorter distance than from here to inverness to then fly anyway............

Agreed ................. ;)

onecalledk
06-Aug-10, 10:24
just find it a bit silly to have to fly to Edinburgh to then get to glasgow to then fly out of there to somewhere else ......

:D