PDA

View Full Version : Letters of support for ASDA

mickey101
05-Jul-06, 14:10
Hi
In light of the article in the home page of Caithness.org. It is obvious that this disagreement with our local unbiased coucillors is far from over. Therefore it is important that we all put in letters of support for ASDA's application into the Highland council if we are to have any hope of this application going through. My letter is being written now how many others have done or are doing the same?

M

Intechpower
05-Jul-06, 16:50
Would it be possible you to make a draught copy of your letter available in order that it can be used by othere wishing to support the Asda by writing to the Highland Council.

Murdina Bug
05-Jul-06, 19:57
When you're writing to them why not suggest that they consider alternative sites for their store. Many people would like an Asda but only object to the location (a point that seems to have been missed by many). Now that the auction mart in Thurso is closing how about putting Asda there?

Kirsty Dubh
05-Jul-06, 21:19
I am typing up my letter of support at the moment and hope that it goes at Pennyland Farm. I feel the majority of people want it there anyway. Those objecting (apart from the Councillors - or so they say!) are really only doing so because they don't want to be looking out at the store from their window. I am sure the residents on Ormlie Road would feel the same if this development went ahead at the Mart and with even more reason as putting it there would mean that it would be 'in their face'. They would not have the luxury of acres of space between their back/front gardens and the store! No matter where it goes, someone will be unhappy. Someone told me that letters should be addressed to the Director of Planning at The Highland Council in Inverness. Does anyone know any differently?

jaykay
06-Jul-06, 07:40
Don't even think about going down the auction mart route. Thinking this way will only be a delaying tactic. The auction mart is not closing until the end of this year and I doubt if United Auctions will even consider selling the site to Asda. United Auctions are more likely to develop the mart site for housing as that is the business they are in. Anyway ASDA have already stated that UA would not sell them the mart site.

Murdina Bug
06-Jul-06, 10:03
Kirsty Dubh - I don't live anywhere near the proposed Asda site at Pennyland and still think it would be wrong to put it there. I think you presume too much about other people's opinions.

I don't know how you think there is going to be 'acres of space' between the development and current housing? Take a look at the following posting for a helpful aeriel photograph which shows where the store would be squeezed in. Thread: ASDA by KWBrown, currently on page 3 of the messageboard - post by Broken Cross, no. 30 on page 2. (sorry, don't know how to link).

Interesting about the auction site - if you want to go down a conspiracy route you could suggest that it was up for sale now as there is a huge supermarket company trying to get into town that may pay silly money for a site??!!

Moby
06-Jul-06, 10:34
http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=58.58884~-3.530628&style=a&lvl=17 (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=58.58884~-3.530628&style=a&lvl=17)

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=58.597405~-3.536411&style=a&lvl=18 (http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=58.597405~-3.536411&style=a&lvl=18)

Humerous Vegetable
06-Jul-06, 12:06
In yesterday's Caithness Courier (page 3) under "Asda development is back on the agenda" it clearly states that....."It is expected that the application will be re-run at the August 16 meeting but members won't hear any fresh representations from outside bodies"
That should shut everybody up.....not.

Kirsty Dubh
06-Jul-06, 18:42
Sorry Murdina Bug - didn't mean to offend. :~( Also didn't mean to presume or assume anything really. Just going by the number of people I have spoken to who are in favour of Asda and all of them thinking Pennyland is the best site. Maybe I am just not speaking to the right people! Asda have already said that they approached the owners of the Mart and they did not want to sell to them - maybe they have changed their minds but surely they must have known they intended to sell when Asda approached them.

Pepsi
08-Jul-06, 20:49
When you're writing to them why not suggest that they consider alternative sites for their store. Many people would like an Asda but only object to the location (a point that seems to have been missed by many). Now that the auction mart in Thurso is closing how about putting Asda there?[/quote]

Just a point of clarity - councillors can only decide the application as it is in front of them. ie they cannot make a decision on an application based on another location so if people were inclined to lwrite letters of support for ASDA but ask them to consider another alternative you are actually writing a letter of support to turn down the current application.

Maybe that is what people want to do but just to make it clear so when writing a letter you know what side of the fence you are writing on behalf.

another point a letter needs very little more than a legitimate name address and a sentence voiceing your support or non support for the application and a signature.

hope this helpful:lol:

Humerous Vegetable
11-Jul-06, 15:09
Is there any point in anybody writing in support if members of the Planning Committee are refusing to listen to representations from "outside bodies" as reported in last week's Caithness Courier?
I can't imagine that the council-taxpaying electorate will be seen as an"inside body".......not until next election day, anyway.