PDA

View Full Version : The Jaffa: Cake or Biscuit?

Jeid
05-Jul-06, 11:46
(Taken from the fantastic Wikipedia)

"Under UK law, no VAT is charged on biscuits and cakes — they are "zero rated". Chocolate covered biscuits, however, are classed as luxury items and are subject to VAT at 17.5%. McVitie's classed its Jaffa Cakes as cakes, but in 1991, this was challenged by HM Customs and Excise in court. This may have been because Jaffa Cakes are about the same size and shape as some types of biscuit. The question which had to be answered was what criteria should be used to class something as a cake or biscuit. McVitie's defended the classification of Jaffa Cakes as a cake by producing a giant Jaffa Cake to illustrate that their Jaffa Cakes were simply mini cakes.

They also argued that the distinction between cakes and biscuits is simply that cakes go hard when stale, whereas biscuits go soft. It was demonstrated that Jaffa Cakes become hard when stale and McVitie's won the case.

The issue was revisited in an article entitled 'Are Jaffa Cakes really biscuits?' published in the Journal of Unlikely Science (Volume 1, issue 7, 2005). The article attempted to classify biscuits via a scientific analysis of various features (size, shape, filling etc.) and determined that the Jaffa Cake should be regarded as a biscuit, or 'pseudobiscuit'."

PSEUDOBISCUIT, haha.

I really like Jaffa Cakes. You?

obiron
05-Jul-06, 11:52
i love jaffa cakes. pity some ghosts ate the packet that was in my house cos it wasnt the kids (aye right)

Jeid
05-Jul-06, 11:55
Ha, I used to always say I never ate the biscuits. I always did though.

I'm just nipping off to the supermarket to get myself a pack of Jaffa Pseudobiscuits.

obiron
05-Jul-06, 11:56
not got the same ring to it as a cake thou.

Ricco
05-Jul-06, 12:47
Soooo... is a cup cake a mini cake, a large biscuit or someone who isn't quite there? ;)

Jeid
05-Jul-06, 13:44
Easy, it's a cake. Don't be so silly ;)

crashbandicoot1979
05-Jul-06, 14:23
Not sure if they're cakes or biscuits but I can eat an entire packet in about 5 minutes. I've banned myself from buying them [lol]

Jeid
05-Jul-06, 16:15
I just ate a whole Packet. :(