PDA

View Full Version : horsewhisperer

stromalassy
04-Aug-10, 19:47
looking for advice, i have owned my horse Bobby now since November and have always had a problem with getting his bridle on over one of his ears, this problem has gotten a lot worse and i've resorted to taking the bridle to bits to put it on as it's less stressful for both of us, i've had the vet rasp his teeth and check out his ear and he said there was no problem. I have heard from someone that there is a horse whisperer who comes to this area and that people have had good results from her, has anyone used her before? was she any good? If so have you a contact number?
Thanks, any advice appreciated.

skinnydog
04-Aug-10, 20:39
I used a dog whisperer and she was amazing but I don't know if she does dogs. It was through a friend of a friend but I will try and get her number for you if no-one comes back to you with a specific horse person. Good luck.

Pony
04-Aug-10, 21:17
There is a horse whisperer who comes up here. I think she is called Isobel Hogton. I had her years ago to look at my pony - although she didnt help us personally, she certainly has a good reputation with some folk. Incidently, my pony was head shy for years for no obvious reason. Then one day I had the horse 'backman' out for other reasons and she noticed straight away that something was out at the top of my pony's neck just behind the ears. She put it back in on the spot and my pony was never head shy again so that might be well worth trying first. The back lady I used was called Kay Mcarroll and she comes up here regularly.

bull
04-Aug-10, 21:25
Why don't you put some malt on the bit? That'll take his mind off his ear and he'll love getting the bridle on.

aurora32
05-Aug-10, 17:08
Try using a softened toffee bar like highland toffee wrapped all the way round his bit, if you have a rubber bit its easier and softer for him if he is a bit sensitive in the mouth, let him taste it then while he is distracted by licking the toffee off the bit whip it gently over his ears and leave it for a while and try again, once on rub all around his ears and where he normally bothers with. I had a stallion that was like this and it worked a treat for him i like you did the usual things of taking the bridal apart etc and nothing really worked. Is it only with the bridle does he do it with the head collar too?

Hope this is of some help xx

KEEP_ON_TRUCKIN
06-Aug-10, 19:38
Hey Stroma Lassy - a pal of mine had a huge (17hh plus) draught horse that was near impossible to get a bridle on without completely dismantling.....really used to bug me at the time....

The story went with the horse that "a previous owner" had lashed the horse around the ears with leadrope....however after a visit from an equine chiropractor for another issue it was discovered that there was a vertebrae out near the top of the neck- once this was "clicked" back in the horse had no issue with the bridle......

Give Topoftheuk a PM - she organises visits for a McTimmoney Practitioner Chiropractor Kay McCarrol - having used her before would recommend - it's always worth a try.

Cheers

tilly
06-Aug-10, 22:14
Have used Kay a few times and always notice a difference in horses afterwards, it's certainly worth getting her to have a look at your horse.