PDA

View Full Version : Caithness taken off the map!!

Phill
04-Aug-10, 17:09
We are no longer a county but just a postcode!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-10853705

The royal mail no longer wants to use counties to identify your address, all they will use is a house number / name, street & postcode.
The fact we've been lumped as Highland annoys me and now all we are is KW? (That's going to make more deliveries pricey).

We don't have a street name so by the royal mails standards I just put me house name and postcode.

I wonder what the legal requirement is for an 'address' is there a minimum detail required, obviously not much for the royal mail.

Kodiak
04-Aug-10, 17:21
All Royal Mail require to deliver a Letter is a Postcode and a Number & Name of Road/Street or House Name.

Just because Royal Mail say that you do not need to put on the county does not mean you can not put it on.

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 19:01
We "moved" from Lancashire to Cumbria in, whenever it was, but still have the Lancs postcode LA as opposed to the Cumbrian one CA. Either will do so what was the point?

changilass
04-Aug-10, 20:06
When the tide is out you can just about walk it lol

Corrie 3
04-Aug-10, 20:11
It could be a good thing, the only thing I get through the post these days is junk mail and bills so if they cant find me it will be so good....

:confused:cool::eek:

Phill
04-Aug-10, 21:02
We "moved" from Lancashire to Cumbria in, whenever it was, but still have the Lancs postcode LA as opposed to the Cumbrian one CA. Either will do so what was the point?

That was just a reverse bidding war cos' it's Barrer'

ducati
04-Aug-10, 21:34
You mean like the English/Scots argument over Berwick upon Tweed?

You have it

No, you have it

No, you have it.............:lol:

J C Denton
04-Aug-10, 22:52
Complete non-story from the BBC, Royal Mail haven't required counties to be included as part of an address for about 15 years now. All they're doing (on the advice of the regulator) is ceasing to make information on the former postal county available.

If you want to blame someone for being lumped in with Highland, blame the government. It was they who abolished counties in Scotland - back in 1975.

Fly
04-Aug-10, 23:25
I always put "Caithness" in my address but NEVER Highland.

teenybash
05-Aug-10, 00:11
Caithness should have a postcode of its own instead of sharing one with Kirkwall.

Bazeye
05-Aug-10, 00:14
So do I, thats why Im Billy no Mates and I dont get any letters.

oldmarine
05-Aug-10, 05:25

The royal mail no longer wants to use counties to identify your address, all they will use is a house number / name, street & postcode.
The fact we've been lumped as Highland annoys me and now all we are is KW? (That's going to make more deliveries pricey).

We don't have a street name so by the royal mails standards I just put me house name and postcode.

I wonder what the legal requirement is for an 'address' is there a minimum detail required, obviously not much for the royal mail.

How will I ever be able to find Thurso when I return for a visit? LOL!!!

badger
05-Aug-10, 19:26
As J C Denton says, county has not been part of correct addressing for Royal Mail for years. The preferred format is house name/number and street, town/village if there is one, posttown in capitals and postcode on a line by itself at the bottom. Probably because counties and county boundaries kept changing.

I have never understood why so many websites have a county field when it's not required as part of an address and they very rarely have Caithness as an option. It really annoys me to have to choose Highland but I've given up complaining.

Sara Jevo
05-Aug-10, 22:03
Why do so many people seem to object to being identified as part of the Highlands?

Walter Ego
05-Aug-10, 22:11
Why do so many people seem to object to being identified as part of the Highlands?

Because we are Caithnessians not Teuchters;)

Fly
05-Aug-10, 22:58

Hear, hear

Stig
06-Aug-10, 08:35

Does it matter if your mail comes marked Caithness or Highland as long as you get it.
It's just a matter of time before Caithness is off the map anyway, once Dounreay is finished

Crackeday
06-Aug-10, 13:14
I think caithness has been removed because someone up here pranged into one of the Queens Ranger Rovers!!!!:lol:
She has decided that she doesnt want to rule over us anymore especially with Caithness being in the Sun twice in 1 week!!!!!!.
we are now the free state of Caithness and seeing as we dont have a ruler I'll volunteer.
My first job: Get Tubs the paperwork she has been rightly chasing for so long from WADF.
My second Job: Appoint Riggerboy as My secretary of Criminal Justice!!!!(also see above;))
Sorted.

badger
06-Aug-10, 16:56

I have no objection to being part of the Highlands - sounds very lovely and romantic. What I object to is getting a dropdown on a website to enter County and having to enter Highland instead of Caithness. Highland is not a county [disgust]

Sara Jevo
06-Aug-10, 21:07
I have no objection to being part of the Highlands - sounds very lovely and romantic. What I object to is getting a dropdown on a website to enter County and having to enter Highland instead of Caithness. Highland is not a county [disgust]

I understand people' attachment to place names.

But in terms of public administration, none of the old counties exist any more.

Corrie 3
06-Aug-10, 21:42
I understand people' attachment to place names.

But in terms of public administration, none of the old counties exist any more.
Not true...if you punch in the name of a place in Britain which has numerous choices the PC will ask..which county?
:eek:

badger
07-Aug-10, 12:58
Listen to the end of The Now Show (Radio 4) today (about 5 mins. before end) http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00t7kyn

Someone else mourning loss of place names - in song :)

piratelassie
08-Aug-10, 01:49
get a life

Nacho
08-Aug-10, 02:17
get a life

she's gonna give you a nipple twister unless you get one or maybe a chinese burn .. or maybe she's gonna start a rumour that you fancy her sister