PDA

View Full Version : cleaning advice

mumof2
04-Aug-10, 16:13
help! we just lifted our lino in the kitchen ready for new one going down on friday and found some really horrible tiles. we decided to lift those aswell so we're down to the bare floor boards. problem is the tiles have left the boards all sticky and no amount of mopping is helping, any advice welcome. so far i've tried washing powder in boiling water, flash and bleach and it's just as sticky as when i first began aaaaaahhh. so what will remove tile adhesive or whatever this hellish substance is?

ShelleyCowie
04-Aug-10, 16:19
help! we just lifted our lino in the kitchen ready for new one going down on friday and found some really horrible tiles. we decided to lift those aswell so we're down to the bare floor boards. problem is the tiles have left the boards all sticky and no amount of mopping is helping, any advice welcome. so far i've tried washing powder in boiling water, flash and bleach and it's just as sticky as when i first began aaaaaahhh. so what will remove tile adhesive or whatever this hellish substance is?

I know this will sound weird but WD-40 might work. I use a site www.about.com (http://www.about.com) and it has loads of cleaning tips on there that i use. Check it out and see if you can find something though :)

Also im not sure but something like soda crystals or vinegar might work. Those are good cleaning things too!

chaz
04-Aug-10, 16:21
Hi, we found these also, we ended up using a blow torch and scraper:eek: I think you can get a product that removes the horrible stuff maybe worth phoning the tile center or caithness chemicals:)

Kathy@watten
04-Aug-10, 16:24
OHH get me advising on cleaning now!.....actually not advising on cleaning at all really, as you are having new lino down, does the sticky marks really matter, I personally would bung my lino ontop and never heid the sticky mess.....only us on the org know it's there!

SunnyChick
04-Aug-10, 16:40
OHH get me advising on cleaning now!.....actually not advising on cleaning at all really, as you are having new lino down, does the sticky marks really matter, I personally would bung my lino ontop and never heid the sticky mess.....only us on the org know it's there!

Noooooo - dont do it - in time your lino will show bumps through it where the sticky stuff is.

Way I see it is you have two options:

1 - get sticky stuff off "videojug" is a good website with step by step on how to do just about anything!

2 - Get a joiner to put a thin layer of plywood down to make the floor smooth before putting the lino on top.

Good luck! x

mumof2
04-Aug-10, 17:30
thanx for all the replies, not so sure about the blow torch idea ha ha. i phoned the man that's doing the lino and he said just to put newspaper down and he will look at it on friday. so at least i'll not be sticking to the floor anymore.

riggerboy
04-Aug-10, 17:55
i find dog pee gets rid o sticky stuff, no wait a minute thats not right, i think its sticky stuff gets rid o dog pee ???????????

mums angels
04-Aug-10, 19:10
we had this problem when we lifted our tiles on kitchen floor and we had to fit a thin layer of plywood down to make it even out so that there was no bumps on the floor etc .

Bazeye
04-Aug-10, 19:30
i find dog pee gets rid o sticky stuff, no wait a minute thats not right, i think its sticky stuff gets rid o dog pee ???????????

Dog pee you say? I thought it was cat pee, wondered what that funny smell was, thought it was my trainers.

chaz
04-Aug-10, 20:04
thanx for all the replies, not so sure about the blow torch idea ha ha. i phoned the man that's doing the lino and he said just to put newspaper down and he will look at it on friday. so at least i'll not be sticking to the floor anymore.

On second thoughts our floor was stone underneath, maybe not such a good idea with flooroards:eek::lol:

Kathy@watten
04-Aug-10, 20:34
Tee hee do you think the house insurance would take burning your home down as accidental in that circumstance? You would get more than new lino then....mind you not sure if next door would be so delighted and you would be homeless in the interim!

Phill
04-Aug-10, 20:37
Thinners. Lots of thinners.

It wont make it go away but you wont give a toss after a while.

ywindythesecond
04-Aug-10, 23:13
we had this problem when we lifted our tiles on kitchen floor and we had to fit a thin layer of plywood down to make it even out so that there was no bumps on the floor etc .

This is the only sure-fire cure. Did it myself when I lifted cork tiles to put something else down.

Bazeye
05-Aug-10, 00:24
Amyl Nitrate should do the trick. Bit pongy at first but after a while....It blends in so much hat you dont really care. So I believe.

badger
05-Aug-10, 19:29
Whenever I've had vinyl laid they always recommend plywood underneath. Probably worth it in the long run.

mumof2
06-Aug-10, 17:34
new lino is now down yay for me! the guy scraped it i think and now all is well. i couldn't actually see what he was doing as i was trying to contain kids dogs and kitten within the living room. it looks good and there are no lumpy bumpy bits so all is well. thankfully didn't have to resort to dog or cat pee ha ha.

Kathy@watten
06-Aug-10, 22:26
Congratulations on a happy outcome for your lino, David planning bus thro again now he has found the bravery to do it himself....he plans to trot up to your himself...might need meeting in Argyll square tho..if he finds himself that far!

Dadie
07-Aug-10, 09:39
Is George ruling the roost?
And is Bobbins nose out of joint?
Will pop through on Wednesday to have a look at the lino.

BillyEspie
07-Aug-10, 16:10
Hi there this is just a suggestion but could you not get a floor sander and sand the floor down to take the sticky mess off it? that is my opinion on how to get rid of the sticky mess and i think it would work a treat then it would save on buying plywood and extra work for the guy putting the lino down too plus it would be cheaper

chaz
07-Aug-10, 16:42
Pleased that you got it sorted:) and that George didnt get stuck to the floor, would have made a bump:lol: x

rjc
07-Aug-10, 17:51
Make sure old tiles are not asbestos