PDA

View Full Version : Wasp`s nest

georgegwf
03-Aug-10, 16:57
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Does anybody know how much the council charge to remove a wasp`s byke ???

tiger woods
03-Aug-10, 17:12
Not sure if this is the right forum for this. Does anybody know how much the council charge to remove a wasp`s byke ???
They don't charge, phone the council and ask for environmental control. They'll sort this out for you.

Scarybiscuits03
03-Aug-10, 17:14
Give it a go youself - we had to do it last week as they had nested under the cladding of our house. You can buy a can of spray from Homebase and it kills them fast

davem
03-Aug-10, 17:24
Its £50 or so for the council.

Loafer
03-Aug-10, 17:25
Any aerosol will do, just spray into the entrance and then double bag it.

P.S. The council do charge, last I recall it was £40

The Loafer

georgegwf
03-Aug-10, 17:25
cheer`s thanks all ;)

tiger woods
03-Aug-10, 17:31
Give it a go youself - we had to do it last week as they had nested under the cladding of our house. You can buy a can of spray from Homebase and it kills them fast
I would'nt risk it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFuTTS7O-nE&feature=related

Kevin Milkins
03-Aug-10, 18:41
I put a bird nesting box above my front door, but I have a wasp nest in it.:confused

I would like to leave it alone and hope they don't bother us, but I am becoming more nervous by the day.

sjr014
03-Aug-10, 18:56
When i was a student we had a wasp nest at our student accomodation and the environmental health bloke came and asked me for a poly bag and just bagged it!!!! I was like OMG i would need a space suit 2 go near it!

Scunner
03-Aug-10, 19:45
Seek out a beekeeper and they will remove it no bother - pm me and tell me where you are and maybe I can oblige

badger
03-Aug-10, 19:57
I had to get the Council for one in my roof and it was just under £50.

Happy Guy
03-Aug-10, 21:52
They don't charge, phone the council and ask for environmental control. They'll sort this out for you.

The nice thing about the forum is that you can get more than one person's opinion and dont have to rely on just one

scorrie
03-Aug-10, 22:59
The nice thing about the forum is that you can get more than one person's opinion and dont have to rely on just one

Very true. The Highland Council website clearly states:-

"Pest Control

Officers from the Section can offer advice on pests and infestations. Treatment services are provided for the following pests in domestic properties: rats, mice and household insect pests of public health significance, including wasps. A fee is made for any treatment carried out."

sids
04-Aug-10, 00:27

Probably an arm and a leg.

Vistravi
04-Aug-10, 13:07
Defintly have a go yourself.

We had two one after the other in our greenhouse and then on our fence in the garden. We waited til it was dark and the wasps were inside before taking a spade to it along with some harsh cleaning chemicals. We have a little boy who often sleeps outside in his buggy and a busy household who all use the garden, one of which in the household who is allergic. We couldn't wait for the council and allow the nest to get bigger.

The Angel Of Death
04-Aug-10, 13:27
Spade + petrol + matches = job done

And possibly lots and lots of firey wasps ;)

georgegwf
05-Aug-10, 12:37
Wasp byke now removed and taken to an ruined croft house, Got the a 03:30 when they were all asleep with a heavy duty plastic bag and a hoe :) Thanks to all for the advice couldn't use petrol and matches would have set fire to my wooden shed:eek: