PDA

View Full Version : Summer Gala Festivals

Saveman
04-Jul-06, 10:54
Does anyone know the origins of the summer gala festivals? With their gala queens, floats, fireworks and all sorts of other fun things....
How long have they been going on? Whats it all about?

Any info appreciated. :D

golach
04-Jul-06, 11:14
Does anyone know the origins of the summer gala festivals? With their gala queens, floats, fireworks and all sorts of other fun things....
How long have they been going on? Whats it all about?
Any info appreciated.
Gala Day comes from the 17th century, in those days excecutions were held publicly, and these days became known as "Gallows Days". A public hanging was cause for big celebrations, and in Edinburgh they were held in the Grassmarket and the excecution was normally held at 4pm on the day, so there would be much celebrations in the many public houses, and there would be street entertainers, stalls etc. etc. To this day there is a Pub called the "Last Drop" allegedly that was near the site of the Gallows .
Another interesting snippet, Edinburgh had a famous character one Deacon Brodie, a councillor and master carpenter and respectable gentleman by day, but at night he was a master burglar and thief. One of his carpentry works was a Gallows, which were used on him when he finally paid the price of his dasterdly deeds, how ironic is that?

DrSzin
04-Jul-06, 11:45
Spot the tour guide! :D

Saveman
04-Jul-06, 13:35
Gala Day comes from the 17th century, in those days excecutions were held publicly, and these days became known as "Gallows Days". A public hanging was cause for big celebrations, and in Edinburgh they were held in the Grassmarket and the excecution was normally held at 4pm on the day, so there would be much celebrations in the many public houses, and there would be street entertainers, stalls etc. etc. To this day there is a Pub called the "Last Drop" allegedly that was near the site of the Gallows .
Another interesting snippet, Edinburgh had a famous character one Deacon Brodie, a councillor and master carpenter and respectable gentleman by day, but at night he was a master burglar and thief. One of his carpentry works was a Gallows, which were used on him when he finally paid the price of his dasterdly deeds, how ironic is that?

Excellent, thanks for the info Golach!

Niall Fernie
04-Jul-06, 15:25
http://www.caithness.org/history/herringqueens/index.htm

Cedric Farthsbottom III
04-Jul-06, 15:29

Enjoyed your post golach.Bit grizzly,but so true!!!!:lol:

ice box
04-Jul-06, 15:33
Mmm.. interesting see you learn some new everyday

melted_wellie
04-Jul-06, 17:34
Mmm.. interesting see you learn some new everydayyoull have to tell me bout it sometime icebox,i canna be bothered reading his posts.

Bingobabe
04-Jul-06, 17:40
Another interesting snippet, Edinburgh had a famous character one Deacon Brodie, a councillor and master carpenter and respectable gentleman by day, but at night he was a master burglar and thief. One of his carpentry works was a Gallows, which were used on him when he finally paid the price of his dasterdly deeds, how ironic is that?Interesting i thought the wick gala was based around the herring queen and the herring fishing learn something new everyday!!!!:Razz

DrSzin
04-Jul-06, 17:54
Interesting i thought the wick gala was based around the herring queen and the herring fishing learn something new everyday!!!!:RazzYou're right Bingobabe - see Niall's link above.

But golach is right too - as far as Edinburgh is concerned, at least. And I'm not gonna argue about it with my owld pal because he's the professional here.

I think we had an Orgers' meeting in the Last Drop in the Grassmarket some years ago, but I'm not 100% sure. (I don't think you were at that one golach.)

golach
04-Jul-06, 19:31
Interesting i thought the wick gala was based around the herring queen and the herring fishing learn something new everyday!!!!:Razz
I was not infering Wick Fishing Gala had anything to to with public excecutions, but just that the term "Gala day" comes from the 17th century term for "Gallows Day", and Gala days are held all over for many reasons nowadays sic. Miners Gala days in most off Fife and the Lowlands, and no doubt Fisher town Galas all around the coasts, Farming communities usually hold "County Shows" but still the same "Gala Day" principal

cuddlepop
04-Jul-06, 21:16
Golach,your wonderful.Its great knowing that we have someone on the forum that knows all this useless but very interesting rubbish.:Razz

katarina
04-Jul-06, 21:51
Do you take people down to Mary kings Close, golach? I was down in the old streets once, but the Close wasn't open then.

golach
04-Jul-06, 21:59
Do you take people down to Mary kings Close, golach? I was down in the old streets once, but the Close wasn't open then.
Katarina, sorry I dont do tours down Mary Kings Close the bus is too big lol, It is a very commercial tourist attraction now, I have been there, very very interesting, not as scary as folks make it out to be

golach
04-Jul-06, 22:01
Its great knowing that we have someone on the forum that knows all this useless but very interesting rubbish.:Razz
Useless rubbish!!!!!! I am shocked, its my job, and us wrinklies know an awful lot[lol]

abalone
04-Jul-06, 23:26
I think there's a pub called "The Last Drop" when you you get to the border between England and Scotland,It's the last something anyway.We've got a Festival come gala starting in our town today lasting 10 days.It's called the International Byron Festival,held every year.The Greeks thought he was the best thing since sliced bread so we usually get a Greek dancing display.We don't actually get to see Lord Byron,he's in the vault in the Parish church,St. Mary Magdalene,perhaps appropriate for the mad,bad,Lord Byron.

katarina
05-Jul-06, 08:53
Katarina, sorry I dont do tours down Mary Kings Close the bus is too big lol, It is a very commercial tourist attraction now, I have been there, very very interesting, not as scary as folks make it out to be

I'll have to go there next time I'm down. when I get rid of this (cough..cough..wheeze...sniffle) cold.