PDA

View Full Version : supermarket staff

sweep
04-Jul-06, 09:42
does anyone find local supermarket (wick) staff customer skills a bit lacking ie non existing. i never seen such dis-interested, unwilling, half-asleep and couldn't care less staff anywhere. when did they stop helping to pack the groceries for customers? haven't their managers heard that tescos on its way!!

Venture
04-Jul-06, 09:58
I have to say that I dont have a problem with that in the Co-op at Wick. If I need help the staff are always obliging particularly Liz the lady who deals with the deliveries. She always helps people even when they are not having their shopping delivered. I find the Co-op staff always friendly and helpful.

Now Somerfields, thats a different matter. Their staff in my opinion would be better of spending the day in their beds because like you I think half of them are still asleep. Give the older more experienced ones their due they are more helpful but they have a bad habit of holding a conversation with someone on the next till or whatever supervisor is standing at the window while you are being served. Some of the younger ones only speak to tell you how much to pay and they dont know the meaning of thank-you thats for sure.

katarina
04-Jul-06, 10:10
I've not found that in somerfields at all. I've found them always friendly and helpful. thats in wick - have no experience of the thurso end.

rfr10
04-Jul-06, 10:36
I've not found that in somerfields at all. I've found them always friendly and helpful. thats in wick - have no experience of the thurso end.

Yea, I agree. I have been in the co- op in Thurso aswell and it doesn't seem much different than Wick. I don't see the staff in the Thurso co-op all that friendly either. You will get one or two in the co- op that aren't bad but the majority of them never seem happy to be there.

The staff in Somerfield are usually always friendly and the same goes for Lidls (well, most of the time)

KitKat
04-Jul-06, 10:53
I was in Sommerfield yesterday and the young man not only helped to pack my bags for me but held a conversation with me as well. I haven't found any of the staff there or in Co-op sulry or unhelpful, but then as I load my stuff on the conveyer belt I always smile and speak pleasantly to them. I find a genuine smile breaks the ice with shop/waitressing staff wherever in the world I happen to be. Good manners cost nothing and I have sometimes been appalled in shop queues at the bad manners of some customers. It must be awful to be treated that way and if you are stuck on a till for hours on end it must be difficult to keep motivation.

candyfloss
04-Jul-06, 11:43
I find the staff in somerfields are always friendly to me too:) usually always get a natter with most of the girls on the checkouts, i suppose its very hard to have a natter with everyone when they're sitting there all day. And some of the customers are really rude too

willowbankbear
04-Jul-06, 12:11
I usually shop in Somerfields & always have a bit of crack with at least 1 of the staff, so I dont fully agree with your arguement, sweep.

sweep
04-Jul-06, 12:22
i agree kitkat that good manners cost nothing - that is just my point. there are a few who are friendly helpful etc but on the whole it doesn't make for a good shop.

tisme
04-Jul-06, 12:27
I often read threads on this site criticizing shop staff, but upon a visit home a couple of weeks ago (Wick) found the staff in every shop I went into without exception, very friendly and chatty. So I suppose it's the luck of the draw!

rockchick
04-Jul-06, 12:38
Caithness does not have a moritorium on bad service!

I was in a shop in Inverness this weekend, where there were more sales-ladies than customers on the floor, but do you think I could catch the eye of anyone to let me into the changeroom? When I finally got someone's attention, she muttered under her breath the entire time. Certainly put me off actually buying anything!

2051donna
04-Jul-06, 16:46
Frasers staff in Thurso are just the worst. I think iv only ever been served by one that smiles!

melted_wellie
04-Jul-06, 17:30
Frasers staff in Thurso are just the worst. I think iv only ever been served by one that smiles!put yer contacts in next time,it helps if you approach a living person rather than the mannequins.

RandomHero
04-Jul-06, 19:10
moan, moan, moan. i'm bored now. I've seen this post so many times.

"Oh yes, roll on Tesco!" And who do you think will be packing your groceries there? That's right, the same staff u complain about every week.

Staff could complain about customers but they don't. Do you think they enjoy being behind a till? sure, good manners cost nothing but that's not their job to be pleasant. it's nice yes but i can live without it. people will never be happy. put yourself in their shoes for a minute.

tesco is going to rip this place apart. I've always said it and it's going to happen.

Tristan
04-Jul-06, 19:49
that's not their job to be pleasant. to happen.

It is their job.
It is part of every service orientated job description I have ever seen and I would bet it was part of theirs too. They dont need to sit down and share their life experiences with you, but they have to be polite and helpful at all times.
Good prices and good customer service experiencies bring customer's back.

RandomHero
04-Jul-06, 21:36
Ha. Customers have NO loyalty to the shop. he second something new comes along, u'll be on the bandwagon to tesco.

changilass
04-Jul-06, 21:43
Ha. Customers have NO loyalty to the shop. he second something new comes along, u'll be on the bandwagon to tesco.

Customers don't get paid to have loyalty, staff are paid to give good customer service[disgust] , and before you bite my head off, I have worked in the service sector, had I have treated the customers the way some staff do I would have been out of a job.

scorrie
04-Jul-06, 22:08
sure, good manners cost nothing but that's not their job to be pleasant

What planet are you living on?

Anyone with the smallest understanding of business knows that being pleasant to the customers is mandatory. It doesn't always happen but delve into any training manual and you will find it high on the list of priorities.

Better swot up if you are ever planning a job facing customers.

RandomHero
04-Jul-06, 22:09
im bored now. same silly argument.

bored.

bored.

bored.

Tristan
04-Jul-06, 22:10

I will and do support those shops that give value for money and good service.
There are many of the 'smaller shops' from butchers to fishmongers to speciality food shops, up here that I regularly shop at and will continue to do so.
I have walked out of shops with so called ‘good prices’ because of poor service.
I have worked in the service industry; I know what is expected of me as an employee, and as a customer.
Small shops with good service, I believe, will survive.
If the big players (which this thread is about) can’t compete with service and price then you are right I will be at Tesco’s

scorrie
04-Jul-06, 22:13
im bored now. same silly argument.

bored.

bored.

bored.

Don't bother reading it then. The logic put to you is sound. Your offering is the one that is sillY.

misty woman
04-Jul-06, 22:17
I was in Sommerfield yesterday and the young man not only helped to pack my bags for me but held a conversation with me as well. I haven't found any of the staff there or in Co-op sulry or unhelpful, but then as I load my stuff on the conveyer belt I always smile and speak pleasantly to them. I find a genuine smile breaks the ice with shop/waitressing staff wherever in the world I happen to be. Good manners cost nothing and I have sometimes been appalled in shop queues at the bad manners of some customers. It must be awful to be treated that way and if you are stuck on a till for hours on end it must be difficult to keep motivation.I compleatly agree with this,i work in one of the above stores.It is quite disgraceful some of treatment we receive from rude customers,i speak to every person that i serve but sometimes i think why do i bother when some people do-not even speak back.We are not all bad shop assistance,sometimes we put up with a lot of rude customers.

Tristan
04-Jul-06, 22:19
I compleatly agree with this,i work in one of the above stores.It is quite disgraceful some of treatment we receive from rude customers,i speak to every person that i serve but sometimes i think why do i bother when some people do-not even speak back.We are not all bad shop assistance,sometimes we put up with a lot of rude customers.

Worst part of a customer service job. Keep smiling those that smile back do, if not make it worth while, make it bearable.

scorrie
04-Jul-06, 22:23
Just as an aside. I was in Somerfield last Friday and noticed a few live announcements. Don't know if this is part of an ongoing initiative to prepare for Tescos arriving but it was certainly very cheesy and the girl doing the announcing was far from born to play the part.

We were implored to get into the spirit for Wimbleton (sic) with strawberries and cream etc. This was shortly followed by a Colleague Announcement, "Are you ready to rumble" said with all the emotion of Sven Urine Erikson on Temazepam (or Tamarzipan as an owld wifie once called it.

Tescos must be kacking their pants.

misty woman
04-Jul-06, 22:29
Worst part of a customer service job. Keep smiling those that smile back do, if not make it worth while, make it bearable.I do always smile but sometimes it is not easy,especially after you have been treated badly by a customer.You should treat people as you wish to be treated yourself.

Foxy
04-Jul-06, 22:37
I have always found the staff in the supermarkets in both Wick and Thurso very friendly and helpful, and i've never had any problem with the staff in Frasers in Thurso.

JAWS
04-Jul-06, 23:45
I too have never had any problems with Supermarket Staff anywhere in Caithness and that goes for most other businesses as well.
I am my usual considerate self and abuse all staff equally, at least the ones who recognise me.
Fortunately none of them ever take me seriously or I would have to go to Perth for my shopping.

They have a thankless job and anybody who has to deal with the general public on a daily basis has my complete sympathy.

I do not and never have worked in the retail trade but the manner in which some customers behave even I have to restrain myself from Manual Strangulation, and I only have to suffer them for a few minutes.

The person on the till or behind the counter is also a human being, and just like customers is entitled to have an off-day. I have yet to met anybody in any walk of life who doesn’t have one from time to time. Hell, I have one all the time.

Yes there are the odd ones who are always unhelpful, you get that in any walk of life, but, in general, the vast majority are helpful almost all the time.

If you really want to know what disinterested staff are like just go to any big city to shop in the week before Christmas. If you escape without teeth-marks in your throat you have done well.
The shops to avoid are those with heads on spikes over the entrances.

Loafer
05-Jul-06, 07:57
I have always found the staff in the supermarkets in both Wick and Thurso very friendly and helpful, and i've never had any problem with the staff in Frasers in Thurso.

The staff in Frasers are so bad that the Breadlady and myself have totally boycotted it! I was a regular customer for 15 years but it has been 5 years since my last visit! My parents have too and I know of several others in the same boat.

The owner himself only used to speak to have a pop at me if Celtic got beaten or Rangers won!

the Loafer

candyfloss
05-Jul-06, 09:00
Just as an aside. I was in Somerfield last Friday and noticed a few live announcements. Don't know if this is part of an ongoing initiative to prepare for Tescos arriving but it was certainly very cheesy and the girl doing the announcing was far from born to play the part.

We were implored to get into the spirit for Wimbleton (sic) with strawberries and cream etc. This was shortly followed by a Colleague Announcement, "Are you ready to rumble" said with all the emotion of Sven Urine Erikson on Temazepam (or Tamarzipan as an owld wifie once called it.

Tescos must be kacking their pants.
I've heard all about this " ready to rumble" it had me in stitches for ages.I hav'nt heard it when i've been in the shop yet,but i think if i did i'd be rolling about on the floor laughing[lol] [lol]

jay
05-Jul-06, 13:10
I've heard all about this " ready to rumble" it had me in stitches for ages.I hav'nt heard it when i've been in the shop yet,but i think if i did i'd be rolling about on the floor laughing[lol] [lol]

to xplain the lets get ready to rumble - seemingly this means that all available staff meet and work their way through the shop making sure that staple products are on the shelf etc. - it's an attempt to keep the shop tidy and make sure produce is not missing - we'll thats what we were told anyway!

Praetorian
05-Jul-06, 17:59
I thought it was to do with the WWF Superstars I'm sure theres a few who could compete!

scorrie
05-Jul-06, 21:05
to xplain the lets get ready to rumble - seemingly this means that all available staff meet and work their way through the shop making sure that staple products are on the shelf etc. - it's an attempt to keep the shop tidy and make sure produce is not missing - we'll thats what we were told anyway!

Thanks for explaining this. I wonder if they have another one ready for when Tesco opens?

"Are you ready to Grumble?"

And, for when the white flag gets raised in the near future.

"Are you ready to Crumble?"

Blazing Sporrans
07-Jul-06, 08:29

Thank the Lord for that! I was concerned that Ant and Dec were making a pop comeback...

Woolie
08-Jul-06, 11:38
Whlist I agree with some off whats been said i can only say that in somerfields and coop in wick the staff are always firendly and polite now lidels thats a different thing they always seen fed up and as if they can't be bothered to serve you. But main reson for posting is to say that i raised this point some time ago about staff in Inverness and got slated for it what difference is it whether you are comenting about caithness or Inveness if staff are rude they r rude be it here or down the line. I myself work in in a shop and know hard it is to be nice and polite when you have rude and miserable customers, and i add i have also worked in shops in busy towns too so i can see it from both sides.:~(

sapphire
08-Jul-06, 11:55
In defence of people who work with the general public,it isn't the easiest job trying to keep everyone happy.You can't treat everyone the same either or we would end up like the Americans (god forbid ) wishing everyone to 'Have a nice day' all gushing and false.
Yes all customer service people should be polite and helpful and I'm sure most start out that way,but you can't help but get dragged down by surly customers, low wages ,not so good working conditions, etc.
I for one belive a smile does't cost anything and a kind word can go a long way ,but that won't stop the customer behind who is in a hurry from having a go!
You just can't please all of the people all of the time! or can you? :D

RandomHero
08-Jul-06, 13:14
What planet are you living on?

Anyone with the smallest understanding of business knows that being pleasant to the customers is mandatory. It doesn't always happen but delve into any training manual and you will find it high on the list of priorities.

Better swot up if you are ever planning a job facing customers.

i did work in a supermarket at one point and in my job now i always see customers. so get ur facts right.

obiron
08-Jul-06, 14:34
to add to the supermarket staff debate. aye some of them have there off days sometimes its not helped by hassle from supervisors or managers either. if your having a bad day a terrible manager just doesnt help either.